No announcement yet.

Perception of Blue Chip Prospects

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perception of Blue Chip Prospects

I dont understand how some people can criticize young fighters for not making/taking tough fights. Prospects are works in progress. All these people saying Canelo, Gary Russell Jr, Adrien Broner have to fight so and so are crazy. Alot of Prospects are getting there but you cant throw them into the lions den right away. Its good for young guys to popular fighters from the past as a skill/awareness builder. Former Elite fighters with a little something left fighting these young kids to see if they can rise to the occasion is good.
    Canelo vs Mayorga? Why not.
    Russell vs JuanMA? Make it happen
    Broner vs Solis or Ramos? Do it.

Give these kids a break lol.

Originally posted by DefThatGuy View Post
    I dont understand how some people can criticize young fighters for not making/taking tough fights. Prospects are works in progress. All these people saying Canelo, Gary Russell Jr, Adrien Broner have to fight so and so are crazy. Alot of Prospects are getting there but you cant throw them into the lions den right away. Its good for young guys to popular fighters from the past as a skill/awareness builder. Former Elite fighters with a little something left fighting these young kids to see if they can rise to the occasion is good.
    Canelo vs Mayorga? Why not.
    Russell vs JuanMA? Make it happen
    Broner vs Solis or Ramos? Do it.

Give these kids a break lol.

Mayorga is a step back from SSM IMO but I'm not opposed to this fight. I imagine that along with the "maricon" taunts or wtv it is, he'd call him a guerro..is that the word?

Comment

It depends. Canelo is technically a "champion", but his age and overall boxing experience says otherwise. Broner is also a titlist, in Canelo's age bracket, but he possesses much more boxing experience cuz of his amateur background. GRJ is older than Canelo and Broner, has amateur experience, doesn't have a belt, and has 20 fights with no notable opponents. GRJ fits the bill of prospect, while Broner and Canelo fit some of the criteria.

Canelo vs. Mayorga is bull****, no matter how entertaining it could turn out. I would love to hear Mayorga rile Canelo up, but it's a given who's coming out victorious. Canelo already got away with fighting Oldsley, no reason to keep abusing the elderly.

Russell vs Juanma is much more plausible. Juanma isn't shot to ****, he just got damaged and needs to rebuild.

Broner vs. Solis probably wouldn't be such a bad fight, although Solis got stopped by Gamboa and Uchiyama consecutively.

Comment

I think its a step sideways. Canelo did good against Mosely. He still got touched all fight. He needs to improve and i think a fight like Mayorga helps him. Older fighters like Mayorga have tricks up there sleeve. Those tricks might not work against a young prime elite fighter but for a kid coming up the ranks they need to see that kind of stuff before he can even think about the elite of the weight class.

Comment

All of these are different:

1. Canelo Mayorga is just another way for Canelo to avoid a top 10 sww. If he's just a prospect, fine, stop hogging the belt and prime dates
          2. GR Juanma is a huge step up
          3. Not sure which Ramos, but Solis would be waste of time, televised slaughter. Better than Sykes or the Argie, I guess. I'd rather see him with Salido since at least he wants the fight. Broner's resume is not bad at all for a young titlist, just weak weightclass and unwilling opponents.

Comment

In the case of Canelo if he wasnt ready for the big daugs he should never have become champion, coz once you are a champion you are expected to fight the best coz you are are the CHAMPION. same goes for Adrien broner, hes a champ so he is suppose to fight the best, dont want to hear about this still developing thing. if you are a champ of your weight class -no excuses for not fighting the best in you weight class.
            Garry russle is the only one that prob falls into that bracket,he isnt in such a rush to becoming a champ coz he knows thats a whole nother level, BUT its time for him to step up his competition though.

Comment

Bull$h!t, ginger & Broner are champions. They are no longer prospects. Change title name or GTFO.

Russel is a prospect, Mikey is a prospect/contender. Those aforementioned need to fight championship caliber fighters. What the hell is this?? Ohhh yeah, the business of boxing, never mind. Now we add champs fighting bumbs 3/4's of their careers to (the business of boxing).

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                Bull$h!t, ginger & Broner are champions. They are no longer prospects. Change title name or GTFO.

Russel is a prospect, Mikey is a prospect/contender. Those aforementioned need to fight championship caliber fighters. What the hell is this?? Ohhh yeah, the business of boxing, never mind. Now we add champs fighting bumbs 3/4's of their careers to (the business of boxing).
                This. Once you have a belt you're not a prospect and should be fighting the best that is available.

Comment

Working...
                X