Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Ray Robinson considered the greatest?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raskat View Post
    SRR could be hurt and certain styles gave him a world of trouble. Randy Turpin. show SRR a beautiful, sharp, accurate jab and u ll give him hell. Turpin did just that and almost beat SRR twice.
    That isn't why Turpin gave Robinson trouble. Turpin gave Robinson trouble because he was an awkward herky-jerky fighter (much like Michael Spinks) who was difficult to land cleanly on and impossible to look good against (much like B-Hop).

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      That isn't why Turpin gave Robinson trouble. Turpin gave Robinson trouble because he was an awkward herky-jerky fighter (much like Michael Spinks) who was difficult to land cleanly on and impossible to look good against (much like B-Hop).

Poet
      Poet is in the history section also? how awesome is that. (sarcasm)
      on topic: Turpin's jab was what troubled SRR the most. look at the footage and tell me it was different. Turpin had a very quick,hard, precise jab and some movement too. most of the time he was hitting SRR at will with his jab.

Comment

Eat hot death ******ed newb :loser9:

on topic: Turpin's jab was what troubled SRR the most. look at the footage and tell me it was different. Turpin had a very quick,hard, precise jab and some movement too. most of the time he was hitting SRR at will with his jab.
        Go back and actually watch the fights with something more than a superficial eye. Turpin was only able to land that jab because of his awkwardness.....but being the king of shallow analysis you probably missed that little detail. Robinson fought plenty of opponents who had top-notch jab and was never unduly troubled by it.

Try actually learning something before opening your jizz receptical.

Poet
        Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Try actually learning something before opening you jizz receptical.
          I don't want to get in the middle of anything but that right there is pure poetry..

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
            I don't want to get in the middle of anything but that right there is pure poetry..
            :chuckle9: :chuckle9:

Comment

Turpin was amazing that night and Robinson was hopelessly sub par. He had a bad day in the office and paid for it, he had been touring and had been very very active (it was his tenth fight that year and it was only July!!).

It wasn't just Turpin's gameplan, it was his style and his sheer strength. That particular night he looked the heavier hitter too. I can't think of any round that Robinson dominated, he looked a tired, overworked unmotivated fighter who had expected a walkover and didn't get one.

Robinson did so well to win the return. Turpin looked every bit as good second time. The finish was superb! Robinson had to be on fire to win.....and that he was.

Comment

how many champions did he fight? a TON. he fought lots of high rated fighters who all came with their A game and was i9n there to win. no one quit with a cut or the modern day excuae. ' i overtrained " etc. didn't duck anyone. fought the best. rematched the best. was the best.

Comment

SRR = greatest fighter who ever lived. Fistic perfection.

Comment

Short Answer:

He had all the tools... He could deliver every punch in the book with accurate precision... He perfected every defensive manuever of the sweet science... He could simultaneusly slip and deliver punches. He was a consumate boxer-puncher... He could finesse (box) and out-slug (toe-to-toe) an opponent. Put simply, the man was sweet (as sugar).

Comment

Okay I get that he had impressive skills and great resume, but why do most people rank him above Sam Langford? I admit I don't know much about him either but I gathered that he beat ATGs from lightweight to heavyweight and I thought this guy must be the best ever.
                      Last edited by Nagabilly; 08-07-2012, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X