Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you feel mind games have worked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cleaver View Post
    George Groves goes into his SMW fight with Carl Froch this Saturday, seemingly intent to use mind games to make his opponent fight with anger. As we all know, if a fighter does so they run the risk of abandoning a game plan, pushing their punches, going for the knockout thus burning up energy.

This isn't so much a question about this weekend's fight, more so when in history do you feel this has played against a fighter. Off the top of my head I think Eubank got Benn to fight angry and that worked against him.

Cheers.
    Love your avatar. I always liked Al Bernstein. I remember he used to host a show on ESPN where he would show classic boxing matches and then would say what later happened to them. Anyone remember the name of it? This was, of course, before ESPN Classics came along.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      It was a point made by one of the African interviewees in the documentary 'When we were Kings'. The natives of Zaire did notice that Foreman's skin was darker; George Foreman himself pointed this out too; he couldn't figure out why he was so hated and Ali so loved by the Africans. His one mistake was bringing a German Shepherd dog with him! I'm not aware that he said anything to upset the locals either.....

Its not beyond the realms of imagination that the African locals might have favoured who they felt was more obviously African of two American heavyweights. Few would have known terribly much of either fighter due to the lack of supply of sports publications, let alone television in Zaire. But support was more than unanimous for Ali, what he stood for and how he related to the people. It wasn't just that Ali was cheered or favoured......'Ali Bom-ba-ya' literally meant 'Ali kill him'.

Ali's embracing/manipulation of the locals to such a degree was a psych job in itself. Foreman became distrustful, suspected poisoning, witchcraft......and when the fight was delayed he was forbidden from returning to the USA, which he hated.
      There is all kinds of wrong in this post, you have clearly never been to Africa, you should stop talking about this subject and keep your innaccurate prejudices to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
        There is all kinds of wrong in this post, you have clearly never been to Africa, you should stop talking about this subject and keep your innaccurate prejudices to yourself.
        he might be wrong about stuff, but nothing in his post suggests he is/are/being prejudices
        What makes you think he is being prejudices, why dont you bold the qoutes of him being prejudice,
        You dont have to agree with him, and what he says maybe totally wrong, but in no way was he being prejudice,,

If he was, then just bold it so we can all see it, because i detected no prejudice just alot of talk about the locals backing ali and not foreman, and some references to skin color but nothing that screams prejudice

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          I'd be very disappointed if my posts over the last few years didn't display my philanthropic love for all human beings irrespective of race, religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation, or creed.

I have no prejudice and did not point out anything that wasn't covered in the documentary 'When we were Kings' by an African interviewee. I certainly didn't expand on anything or offer a personal twist. Perhaps you should give it a watch.

I have never been to Africa, but I do have several friends from there. If you were upset about my comments about TV and American sports publications, I think we must remember that the Rumble in the Jungle was nearly 40 years ago, things will be most likely radically different today. But my sincere apologies if this caused any offence.

Comment

Working...
          X