No announcement yet.

Is Snowden a hero for what he did?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaded View Post
    You're just a wee bit confused...have you ever read anything about Glenn Greenwald and the Guardian's Pulitzer Prize winning reporting of the story?

Maybe start with this...

http://mashable.com/2014/06/05/edwar.../#f7YAd6QLSiqm

I've seen many Snowden documentaries (possibly all of them)...he definitely exposed NSA's domestic surveillance program...that's the whole crutch of the Snowden story.
    I think it's you that's a bit confused. The documents he 'leaked' wasn't just exposing an NSA program to American citizens. He gave up foreign intelligence to foreign countries and put American lives at risk in on going operations in Afghanistan to how we spy on foreign governments. Not a hero

Comment

Originally posted by Nod View Post
      I think it's you that's a bit confused. The documents he 'leaked' wasn't just exposing an NSA program to American citizens. He gave up foreign intelligence to foreign countries and put American lives at risk in on going operations in Afghanistan to how we spy on foreign governments. Not a hero
      NO he didn't...how about being specific and giving some examples since you are all over this? The ONLY person he leaked anything to was the Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald. It's debatable whether his leaks may have given warnings to people and organizations who NSA were spying on...and the impact that may have had. What he gave Greenwald were things which had already transpired.

But one things is for sure. Obama made a promise during his Presidential bid that he would put an end to routine NSA surveillance of US citizens...that means every single phone call/text message/email that YOU make...and he lied. The opposite happened since he took office and that was what he exposed and why the US is trying to paint him as a traitor. And maybe technically there is a case to be made about that...but he opened the eyes of the world about the reality we live in which was not very well known before and you really owe it to yourself to listen to what he has said...which I am certain you have not.

Look what happened to Dan Rather and the 60 Minutes producer and team when they exposed George W Bush of having used connections to avoid Viet Nam by serving in Texas Air National Guard...and doing a reportedly half ass service at that. The Presidents office ruined them all. You can't get away with making enemies in the White House and what Snowden did was much bigger than what 60 Minutes did to Bush.

Snowden was nominated for a Noble Peace Prize in 2014 for what he did. You have bought into the smoke screen and should have a closer look at the facts before you come to any conclusion about the truth. There are so many documentaries on the subject...you should watch a few.
      Last edited by jaded; 08-29-2016, 02:01 AM.

Comment

yes showing Americans that the NSA is spying on them or exposing rigged primary elections is heroic

on the other hand there are whistleblowers (manning comes to mind) who leak random classified info about world politics just to be a weirdo which less heroic

Comment

if the goverment doesnt like you.... you must be doing something right.

Comment

NO he didn't...how about being specific and giving some examples since you are all over this? The ONLY person he leaked anything to was the Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald. It's debatable whether his leaks may have given warnings to people and organizations who NSA were spying on...and the impact that may have had. What he gave Greenwald were things which had already transpired.

But one things is for sure. Obama made a promise during his Presidential bid that he would put an end to routine NSA surveillance of US citizens...that means every single phone call/text message/email that YOU make...and he lied. The opposite happened since he took office and that was what he exposed and why the US is trying to paint him as a traitor. And maybe technically there is a case to be made about that...but he opened the eyes of the world about the reality we live in which was not very well known before and you really owe it to yourself to listen to what he has said...which I am certain you have not.

Look what happened to Dan Rather and the 60 Minutes producer and team when they exposed George W Bush of having used connections to avoid Viet Nam by serving in Texas Air National Guard...and doing a reportedly half ass service at that. The Presidents office ruined them all. You can't get away with making enemies in the White House and what Snowden did was much bigger than what 60 Minutes did to Bush.

Snowden was nominated for a Noble Peace Prize in 2014 for what he did. You have bought into the smoke screen and should have a closer look at the facts before you come to any conclusion about the truth. There are so many documentaries on the subject...you should watch a few.
            Why do I have to hold your hand? Especially since you watched all the documentaries making you the most informed person on Snowden? You can start when he outed himself in Hong Kong. Since you're a 'no he didn't' ******. Why did he give up info on the U.S hacking the Chinese?

Thats not a smoke screen. Thats called espionage.

Comment

Why do I have to hold your hand? Especially since you watched all the documentaries making you the most informed person on Snowden? You can start when he outed himself in Hong Kong. Since you're a 'no he didn't' ******. Why did he give up info on the U.S hacking the Chinese?

Thats not a smoke screen. Thats called espionage.
              He setup a clandestine meeting with journalists from the U.K. publication The Guardian as well as filmmaker Laura Poitras in Hong Kong because it was perceived to be a safe place to do so. The info was released the following day and he was stuck in Hong Kong for a while because the US wanted him extradited. He did not go there for espionage activities with the Chinese for profit...but if you have any info that proves otherwise please link it up...I don't think that can be called hand holding by any measure. If you just prefer to make unproven comments and child-like remarks like "******" because you don't know what to say...then you have nothing to offer to the discussion.

Yes he revealed US hacking/spying on the Chinese in his interview as well as other countries including it's own US citizens...which with regards to the latter has resulted in a lot of pressure on Obama to take measures to bring it under control to some degree...and a lot of if not most people think that's a good thing and want to see more of that happen. He knew he would be charged with espionage and sacrifice his life as he knew it...and felt it was worth it if he could somehow help protect the rights of people against what amounts to human rights violations by the US govt.

I don't claim to be an expert on this but you just make statements without backing them up...what kind of expert does that make you?
              Last edited by jaded; 08-30-2016, 02:04 AM.

Comment

He setup a clandestine meeting with journalists from the U.K. publication The Guardian as well as filmmaker Laura Poitras in Hong Kong because it was perceived to be a safe place to do so. The info was released the following day and he was stuck in Hong Kong for a while because the US wanted him extradited. He did not go there for espionage activities with the Chinese for profit...but if you have any info that proves otherwise please link it up...I don't think that can be called hand holding by any measure. If you just prefer to make unproven comments and child-like remarks like "******" because you don't know what to say...then you have nothing to offer to the discussion.

Yes he revealed US hacking/spying on the Chinese in his interview as well as other countries including it's own US citizens...which with regards to the latter has resulted in a lot of pressure on Obama to take measures to bring it under control to some degree...and a lot of if not most people think that's a good thing and want to see more of that happen. He knew he would be charged with espionage and sacrifice his life as he knew it...and felt it was worth it if he could somehow help protect the rights of people against what amounts to human rights violations by the US govt.

I don't claim to be an expert on this but you just make statements without backing them up...what kind of expert does that make you?
                I did back it up. You said he didn't give up foreign intel to foreign governments but now you say that he did. I completely apologize. The smoke screen comment should've been a dead give away but I didn't see the glare coming off your tinfoil hat my man.

Comment

I did back it up. You said he didn't give up foreign intel to foreign governments but now you say that he did. I completely apologize. The smoke screen comment should've been a dead give away but I didn't see the glare coming off your tinfoil hat my man.
                  What and how did you back up anything. Snowden gave it up to Glenn Greenwald no one else...who in turn gave it up to everyone who read the Guardian. You're trying but failing...you haven't a clue what really happened or how to respond. The tinfoil hat comment doesn't make you sound intelligent...it just draws attention to the fact that you don't know what you can say now but need to say at least something. OK...I'm really impressed...that was sooooo educated.

Comment

What and how did you back up anything. Snowden gave it up to Glenn Greenwald no one else...who in turn gave it up to everyone who read the Guardian. You're trying but failing...you haven't a clue what really happened or how to respond. The tinfoil hat comment doesn't make you sound intelligent...it just draws attention to the fact that you don't know what you can say now but need to say at least something. OK...I'm really impressed...that was sooooo educated.
                    Seriously guy this is all common knowledge and not hard to find. You are just incredibly uninformed on the subject. What I posted is what Snowden told to the South China Morning Post. You know since he only told it to Greenwald. Tinfoil hat still stands and add in dumb**** to list if it wasn't already implied.

Comment

Seriously guy this is all common knowledge and not hard to find. You are just incredibly uninformed on the subject. What I posted is what Snowden told to the South China Morning Post. You know since he only told it to Greenwald. Tinfoil hat still stands and add in dumb**** to list if it wasn't already implied.
                      STFU you ignorant asshole.

First of all what he told the South China Post was a week after The Guardian story was already published. Everybody already knew what he had said including the Chinese so he had nothing to tell them except basically that "he will stay in the city until I am asked to leave”, adding: “I have had many opportunities to flee HK, but I would rather stay and fight the US government in the courts, because I have faith in HK’s rule of law.” The only reason he spoke to the South China Morning Post was to tell them why he was in Hong Kong and draw attention to the world what had since transpired after The Guardian story...everything was already out by then.

The US spied on Chinese university students for purposes of access to their intellectual property...something that US is trying to imprison people like Kim Dotcom for doing. Snowden didn't give up any info to the Chinese that compromised US security...the US is not at war with China. Hilary Clinton broke code and compromised classified information rules and lied about it...nobody is going after her for it. Snowden had to do what he did in a country like China and reveal what the US was doing there or the Chinese might have given in to the US demand for extradition...aside from the fact that he didn't agree with the policy.

But let me ask you a question...how do YOU feel knowing every single thing you do or say on your phone and the internet is being cached and screened?
                      Last edited by jaded; 08-30-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X