Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto/Martinez underperforms, does 350,000 buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering the purses for the fight, they are not bad results for two latinos. PR numbers are never used, the rights for Mexico, Argentina, and Europe T.V.

Unless there highly rated ricans against highly rated mexicans, the PPV #'s are not going to be great.

Comment

• I'm not surprised, this had one of the worst undercards i've ever seen for a PPV.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
        Yeah exactly. Sports teams get the benefit of representing a city and sometimes an entire state. I have connections to the Detroit Tigers and the Los Angeles Lakers not even because I lived in Detroit or Los Angeles but because I lived near those places at some point. Fighters may be known for their hometowns but most guys, at least in the States, don't enjoy huge support from their fans. Even if they do, it doesn't translate to a national market. It's even worse for fighters who simply aren't from the States. No casual fan has much of a reason to care about whether Miguel Cotto becomes the first Puerto Rican to win anything; nobody cares about whether an Argentine fighter can defend his title.

Too many PPVs don't help. I'm guessing most casual fans would have spent their money on the Mayweather and Pacquaio shows if they had to pick just two. Hard to imagine one person shelling out ~$300 for Canelo, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Cotto, and then Canelo again.
        This is true.

Comment

• What I want to know is who the hell was seriously expecting 600k for this fight? First of all Martinez was never a PPV draw and Cotto has seen better days after suffering two losses straight. Secondly Cotto's biggest much hyped fight without May or Pac was against a popular Mexican fighter and that pulled 600k. Another fight against a popular PPV fighter in Mosley pulled 500k. Yet there are people here who seriously think a faded Cotto fighting a non-draw in what many thought would be a one sides mismatch due to size should pull more PPV buys than both of these? Where the hell is the logic here to think this should have pulled more than 600k buys?

Comment

• Originally posted by croz View Post
            What I want to know is who the hell was seriously expecting 600k for this fight? First of all Martinez was never a PPV draw and Cotto has seen better days after suffering two losses straight. Secondly Cotto's biggest much hyped fight without May or Pac was against a popular Mexican fighter and that pulled 600k. Another fight against a popular PPV fighter in Mosley pulled 500k. Yet there are people here who seriously think a faded Cotto fighting a non-draw in what many thought would be a one sides mismatch due to size should pull more PPV buys than both of these? Where the hell is the logic here to think this should have pulled more than 600k buys?
            isnt cotto a bigger draw than chavez jr??

Comment

• That is TERRIBLE I was expecting at least 500K from just Cotto Drawing Power Alone on top of it being a big match up.

Boxing seems to be losing fans instead of gaining, Network Numbers and PPV Numbers Down across the board. I don't think Canelo vs Lara is going to do all that well either sadly. Where is the build up for that fight? Seems like it is very little Buzz for that fight.

Comment

• One problem with PPV fights is that when a fighter becomes a PPV fighter, then; henceforth all of his fights are put on PPV and all of them are not worthy of that. All of Mayweather's fights should not be on PPV. Now that Canelo has been on PPV, I suppose every fight for the rest of his career goes to PPV.

Cotto-Martinez was not really such a big event that it should have been on PPV. Subscribers pay for HBO and Showtime. Those fights are in a way pay fights. I think the cable companies should give HBO and Showtime subscribers at least some type of break in the cost of these fights. That would probably encourage more participation.

Comment

• Originally posted by -BORICUA- View Post
                  Almost 500k for two guys coming off a loss? That's pretty damn good.
                  Pac Rios was like 350-400. That was one I refused to pay for.

Comment

• Accountingscene in full swing.

Comment

• I blame this on BOB Arum solely!
                      "Pacquiao vs Bradley II: Bob Arum says fans don't care about PPV undercards"
                      Link

"In theory, yes, it makes sense to say, let's go get a lot of good, interesting fights and put them on the undercard, but the truth is - and I've been doing this a long, long time - 90 percent of the people don't want to see the undercard and don't care about it. But there is a point to the argument that we should give the other 10 percent something to watch that they'll enjoy, so we decided to try to put together a fun card for them."
                      His thoughts are are not correct and the numbers are starting to show. Bob needs to get out of this mentality or the numbers will continue to disappoint. I don't blame fans not wanting to pay for trash cards just for 1 superstar. Another problem is the high price for these PPV that the promoters are setting.
                      Last edited by BucaRican; 06-25-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X