Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest waste of talent In Mexican Boxing History? Jose Luis "El Maestrito" Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can also say Fernando Vargas (Chicano) was a big waste of talent, had he been brought up better and better managed he could've done great things....WTF was he doing in there against Tito, Winky, Quartey, Oscar so early? It'd be like throwing Saul Alvarez in against Mayweather, Pacquiao, Martinez right now.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      You can also say Fernando Vargas (Chicano) was a big waste of talent, had he been brought up better and better managed he could've done great things....WTF was he doing in there against Tito, Winky, Quartey, Oscar so early? It'd be like throwing Saul Alvarez in against Mayweather, Pacquiao, Martinez right now.
      You can't say he was a waste of talent though he actually build a solid resume before getting ruined by Tito.

And, prior of getting ruined by Tito, Oscar didn't want to fight him. He always said "I would never give him the payday" but then after Vargas got ruined by Tito and got dropped in his very next fight. Oscar jumped on the opportunity to fight Vargas saying "I know where to him(pointing at his chin)" pretty much saying he found a crack in the armor of El Feroz.

Oscar did the same thing with Quartey BTW, after Quartey fought El Maestrito Lopez. He saw a crack in the armor of Quartey and jumped on the opportunity and even then faked getting cut to postponed that fight so Quartey would be coming off a long layoff.

But, no I don't consider Vargas a waste of talent. I just see him as getting rushed and ruined. They probably should have stayed away from Tito for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
        I also had Quartey beating him, but Quartey's and Campas' styles were pretty good for him. De La Hoya would've boxed circles around him. Forrest would have jabbed and straight handed him for 12 rounds and he would've fought Tito and knocked him down in the second round but for the rest of the fight he would've been receiving.

I think the people with speed would have been really bad for him. I'm not trying to diss him though, I actually was a fan and I would've loved to see him fight worldclass longer, but I don't think that the fact that he didn't is any great travesty or waste of a potentially great talent.
        Lopez would of gave De La Hoya hell, Look what Quartey did against Oscar, was winning the fight up until the last round, and look how Quartey wa trying to survive for the last three rounds with Lopez after Lopez knocked him down and man handled him in the tenth!1 Now Forrest would of got destroyed by Lopez, Mayorga destroyed him and I feel Lopez was faster and a better boxer than Mayorga and he was just as strong, The hardest fight would of been with Trinidad, That fight could of gone either way IMO

Comment

Originally posted by el20cuatro View Post
          Lopez would of gave De La Hoya hell, Look what Quartey did against Oscar, was winning the fight up until the last round, and look how Quartey wa trying to survive for the last three rounds with Lopez after Lopez knocked him down and man handled him in the tenth!1 Now Forrest would of got destroyed by Lopez, Mayorga destroyed him and I feel Lopez was faster and a better boxer than Mayorga and he was just as strong, The hardest fight would of been with Trinidad, That fight could of gone either way IMO
          Not that I'm saying Oscar would win nor am I saying Lopez would win.

However, you're using a triangle theory there bro. And, it doesn't work like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
            Not that I'm saying Oscar would win nor am I saying Lopez would win.

However, you're using a triangle theory there bro. And, it doesn't work like that.
            Alright Man I agree to disagree!!

Comment

Lopez's bout with Page was really exciting.

I consider that to be up there with Davis-Breland as the best WW fight of the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                You can't say he was a waste of talent though he actually build a solid resume before getting ruined by Tito.

And, prior of getting ruined by Tito, Oscar didn't want to fight him. He always said "I would never give him the payday" but then after Vargas got ruined by Tito and got dropped in his very next fight. Oscar jumped on the opportunity to fight Vargas saying "I know where to him(pointing at his chin)" pretty much saying he found a crack in the armor of El Feroz.

Oscar did the same thing with Quartey BTW, after Quartey fought El Maestrito Lopez. He saw a crack in the armor of Quartey and jumped on the opportunity and even then faked getting cut to postponed that fight so Quartey would be coming off a long layoff.

But, no I don't consider Vargas a waste of talent. I just see him as getting rushed and ruined. They probably should have stayed away from Tito for awhile.
                Very interesting information, I never knew that (I was only a kid back then). Do you happen to have any more info about this? or any interviews, post conferences, ect. for the Oscar/Vargas fight?

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
                  Lopez's bout with Page was really exciting.

I consider that to be up there with Davis-Breland as the best WW fight of the 90s.

Good fight, I had Lopez winning!! Did you see how much bigger Paige looked than Lopez, It looked like a super welterweight fighting a light heavyweight!!

Comment

Lopez lost that fight against Page because he stopped fighting consistently as the fight went on. Page wasn't great either but he had great power and was a pretty good athlete, that was a very good fight.

As far as DLH, I remember hearing him talk about Lopez, he clearly had respect for him and if they fought I'm sure he would've beaten Lopez because the danger was right in front of him. If you moved after you punched, Lopez had troubles and I think DLH would have did what he did to Trinidad against Lopez, but he would've gotten the decision this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by el20cuatro View Post
                      Good fight, I had Lopez winning!! Did you see how much bigger Paige looked than Lopez, It looked like a super welterweight fighting a light heavyweight!!
                      Yeah that was my first fight that i actually gotto see of Jose Luis Lopez and this fight against James Page was a barn burner.Both guys could punch like hell but Lopez my god had a great chin i mean he took so many clean flush shots like nothing against Page.Lopez was a fighter that i had high hopes for but even thought he did beat Yory Boy Campas and gave Ike Quartey all he could handle if Lopez could have stayed in shape more often and control his demons he would have been an all time great mexican boxer and maybe one of the best 147 pounders ever!!

Comment

Working...
                      X