Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knee-caps hurting, I'm jogger and I ride my bike alot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy shoes that provide better support. Also take glucosamine and chondroitin w/ MSM, and some fish oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitez View Post
      "Did you get some kind of injury to your feet in the past, that is still effecting you today?"

No I was simply born with hi archs like some people with a flat foot....nothing serious but if you sport a lot it needs to be fixed somehow.

I'm actually using basketball shoes Adidas climacool spent around $100 for them.

I'm thinking of buying Adidas Trinity wrestling shoes BUT I can try minimalist shoes right now!
      Besides boxing I windsurf and when it's cold we use neoprene shoes very thin like 3mm but even thinner bottom so you can really feel the smallest stone when walking...looks something like this and it even has a split toe:

http://www.ion-essentials.com/conten...stic_shoes_25/

I can give these a try and I'll also ask physiotherapist regarding it....great =)
      Wrestling/boxing shoes are almost a minimalist type shoe. Some people actually run in those shoes and reap similar benefits that true minimalist shoes would provide.

And those shoes you listed, look very interesting. I may give those a try!

Comment

Ion and Neilpryde are top brands for wsurf footwear

http://www.neilpryde.com/footwear/footwear.html

Lately people prefer Ion.

Not to mention they are cheaper than Vibram!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          I had trouble with my knees all the way through boxing, from 14-29 my knees hurt daily. My pain was around the knee cap but especially on the back side of the knee, it would often swell up when I finished my run to the point of hampering my walking.

It turns out that I had deteriorating cartlidge in the knee. I started taking glucosemine and it seemed to help. I always paid for great running shoes, the cheap ones would be killing my knees in less than 2 weeks after buying them.

I always prefered to jump rope over running. The impact being taken on the balls of my feet rather than the heel to toe of running. Jump 30 mins straight and you'll equal a good run. But you will need to do strengthening exercises for your legs. If weights are involved make it low weight with fast, high reps.

Don't know if this is a similar problem but thats my story and hope it helps.
          was it Glucosemine liquid or tablets?

i had same problem and Glucosemine worked fantastically yet medical physicians claim it does not work.. i say it does work, what is your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Vitez View Post
            Ion and Neilpryde are top brands for wsurf footwear

http://www.neilpryde.com/footwear/footwear.html

Lately people prefer Ion.

Not to mention they are cheaper than Vibram!
            Looks nice as well. Also, the reason for the Vibram Five Fingers and Softstarshoes are expensive, is because of the very durable outsole made by Vibram (which both shoes use). Vibram has been known for making one of, or the most durable outsoles for firefighter boots, military boots, construction boots, etc, for decades. As heavy as I am (220lbs), and as frequent as I run, the outsoles on my Five Fingers don't have any noticeable wear and tear, yet.

Comment

Of course none of us can make a diagnosis on a message board, even if we have the appropriate medical knowledge.

I will say that a common disorder in the knee is a condition called chondomalacia of the patella. Also known as "runner's knee" or "jumper's knee". It's mainly caused by imbalances in antagonistic muscle groups, such as the quads and the hamstrings. Running actually over develops the hamstrings which causes a pull on the knee cap.

One of the therapeutic strategies is to strenghten the quadraceps.

As a note to some earlier posts on squats... I personally believe that they are the king of exercises. However, it is very easy do them incorrectly, which could lead to among other things, pain and damage in the knees. Also, any exercise no matter how beneficial, if taken to extreme limits of intensity or overuse, can lead to injury.

When you squat, make sure that your weight is distributed any where from the middle of your foot to your heels. I've heard both mentioned by reputable trainers and strength coaches. What you absolutely don't want to do is let the weight drift towards your toes. This puts incredible shearing forces on your knees.

Comment

Try exercising on an elliptical. It is outstanding for cardio giving you the same muscle group exercising than running, and great on the joints.
                Put some resistance and incline on it for a good calorie crusher.

Comment

Working...
                X