No announcement yet.

Mandatories--please explain this to me bc I'm missing something obvious

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatories--please explain this to me bc I'm missing something obvious

I've heard of mandatory challengers and my understanding is that if the belt holder does not face said challenger, then he forfeits the belt.
    So how does this not ever come into play for the fights at the highest level of the sport? The most obvious example being prime Mayweather/Pac. Is there not a governing body in place to prevent two rival promotional companies from creating a rift in the sport where fighters are shielded from each other? If not, how did they not anticipate something like this from happening.

Neither was the others mandatory.

Comment

sanctioning bodies could make a purse bids but that obviously wont work for fighters on Mayweather or Pacquiao level since they would just vacate and would lose money on higher sanction fee's

BTW Pacquiao was never a mandatory but another example would be Cotto when Pacquiao were mandated and ranked #1 147 by WBO for some reason and would have stripped Cotto if he didn't fight Pacquiao at a catchweight of 145

Comment

Originally posted by nveleven View Post
        I've heard of mandatory challengers and my understanding is that if the belt holder does not face said challenger, then he forfeits the belt.
        So how does this not ever come into play for the fights at the highest level of the sport? The most obvious example being prime Mayweather/Pac. Is there not a governing body in place to prevent two rival promotional companies from creating a rift in the sport where fighters are shielded from each other? If not, how did they not anticipate something like this from happening.
        Boxing is a business as much as it is a sport.

Unlike other sports it is not governed by a sanctioning body like tennis.

In terms of mandatories and such, organisations want the highest earning stars to have their belt because they get a fee from them holding the belt.

That is why they don't mind big stars holding onto their belts. It is also the reason they make up fake belts such as the Diamond WBC, WBA Champion of the Decade or elevate current champs to super champs.

Comment

Working...
        X