No announcement yet.

My Admittedly Biased Opinion on Cotto vs May

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    You're right Mayweather doesn't have the highest punch output the majority of the time, but what many people chose to conveniently ignore is how Floyd also drops everyone of his opponents outputs.

Mayweather can up his output if he wants. Threw 67 punches in the 4th round of the Ortiz fight.
    Can't argue that, though Ortiz was never really slowing. He was going to lose that fight either way but I think Floyd knew he was in for a rougher night than usual. Cotto doesn't get discouraged by guys who throw the one punch at a time. Missing and getting hit with that counter is what Makes Floyd's opponents drop their output. I just don't see Cotto having a hard time figuring that out with this new trainer, especially now that Floyd wants to stay on the inside and fight.

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
      mayweather v baldomir all over again

keep walking him down miguel!
      Damn, not giving my man no respect. Old ass slow baldomir has nothing on Miguel

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        rewatch the pacquiao fight, pacquiao was outboxing Cotto.

Mayweather said immediately after this fight was signed that he'll be coming forward and applying pressure. Cotto is much less effective on the backfoot than he is the front.

Floyd can easily bully Cotto. Mayweather was able to push around clinch fest guys like Hatton and Mosley. Cotto who just learned how to clinch in his last daycare session isn't going to be able to touch a veteran in this arena.
        NOT OBJECTIVE AT ALL --

A veteran? And Cotto isn't? He is my friend, and vs better competition. We all know Floyd has been cherrypicking for years, with no good reason while Cotto was plaster battered and rehabilitated. Cotto outboxed Pac early and in round 10 it wasn't until he went wild, responding to the flurry of punches, that the uppercut did him in.

Comparing this version of Mosley to Cotto? Fail. They already had a very good fight, FIVE years ago. And Hatton was just that -- clinch fest fighter with a bullhead -- IDK man, you're not giving Cotto credit, he's totally a different fighter than Hatton, he can actually think strategically. All his fights at 154 are with dudes above his natural weight and he didn't let them bully him. Floyd has been fighting offensively lately and it will work against him.
        Last edited by PRking718; 02-11-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRking718 View Post
          Damn, not giving my man no respect. Old ass slow baldomir has nothing on Miguel
          well i honestly dont think miguel will be able to walk floyd down and beat him.

i think cotto is in for one long night thats for sure, but its not entirely impossible to get the win. i just dont see that being the way for him and reading your post honestly thats kinda how i see it happening if he tries that tactic

thats all

Comment

Originally posted by - v e t - View Post
            well i honestly dont think miguel will be able to walk floyd down and beat him.

i think cotto is in for one long night thats for sure, but its not entirely impossible to get the win. i just dont see that being the way for him and reading your post honestly that's kinda how i see it happening if he tries that tactic

thats all
            Oh OK. Yeah, it can't be as simple as that. He's got to be in an out with the combo's, I was just saying not to let Floyd bully him not that he has to bully Floyd -- only when necessary. PLD is a wiz and pretty sure he'd love to be the first trainer to guide a man into beating Mayweather.

Comment

I do think Cotto has a shot to beat Mayweather but he will have to fight a very good fight.

Floyd might come forward at times in this fight but I highly doubt he will be "walking Cotto down" as a strategy. Pac did this only after he damaged Cotto enough from the knockdowns and pot shotting of his own with that wicked straight left. Luckily for Cotto Floyd is a conventional fighter so he will have an easier time utilizing one of his biggest strengths his left.

There seems to be a prevailing theory that Cotto was at his best when he was this seek and destroy monster and that was what made him so good. He was at his most entertaining no denying but I think that's a bit of a false theory. He was at his best when he was putting it all together and he has switched back and forth from the stalking aggressive style to boxing and counter punching in most every fight he has been in. He has also developed and based his offense around his jab.

This is why Cotto has the chance he does. Because he is one of the most complete fighters Mayweather will have ever faced. He will also be bigger, stronger and very possibly in a much better mental state than Floyd for this fight.

I've made this point before but Floyd will be dealing with the biggest distraction he has ever dealt with privately, being ripped from his family for his jail time. Not only will his sentence be looming in his immediate future but it will be like Margarito's wraps a constant topic of conversation, the elephant in the room. Can he maintain his focus?
              Last edited by freedom213; 02-11-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

The only thing I see Cotto needing to do, is work the body like a mad man. The best opening he will get is to the body, if he's head hunting he'll be swinging air all night.
                I just don't see Cotto giving Floyd any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by PRking718 View Post
                  Cotto is a pressure fighter, a stalker. Naturally, he has trouble with punch output and pressure thrown back at him. If you can take his punches and beat him down hard, Cotto may lose. Now, if he can take your punches -- you might be fast, slick, wateva, he's going to walk you down with that jab and kick your ass. Unless Floyd pulls an Ali vs Foreman and applies pressure to Cotto when no one expects it (which by the way I don't put past him), I think Cotto finds his range and wins. But Floyd is smart and knows Cotto will be defeated with pressure. I just don't see a determined, came here to fight Cotto letting him do that though. Well, as long as he comes to give the fight of his life.

Mayweather, the king of the one-punch and get out of harms way, will win early rounds. But this offensive game won't be enough. Cotto knows this and will train for it. I don't even have to mention how good this trainer is for learning to fight counter-punches, that's what the Cubans do.

Cotto will not recklessly try and KO Floyd but after cutting that ring off Cotto will find his range after maybe 3 rounds or 4 and start landing those combinations. Floyd will be confused and flustered around the 8th when he gets into his corner. Uncle Roger won't be of great help, there's a disconnect there. Cotto will come out his corner following the Castillo blueprint, being thee busier man, forcing Floyd to open up if he wants to win rounds. He will win some exchanges but lose most. Cotto is a calculated puncher who will keep the pressure for 12 rounds, always punching. If May tries to bully him I see Cotto using his leverage much like with Margarito. Cotto takes this with a UD or possible late TKO. Hey, if I'm wrong **** it, but I think Cotto has what it takes to sustain the game-plan for 12 rounds. I think he really wants this and I'll be flying out to support him.

I may be one in very few on here but I have some great boxing buddies and trainers who like Roach give Cotto more than a shot. Some who even like Floyd, but always felt Cotto was a guy to beat him. One of my most knowledgeable buddies thinks Cotto without beating Margarito, had no shot, but now that his confidence is up, he says Cotto's mental will be on point. And the mental is 75%-90% of the game. Something I try to tell the haters who like to **** on Cotto Post Margarito. They never fought and don't know what that does to a fighters mind. All opinions welcome, it'd be nice if we can maintain a sense of decency even if we disagree.
                  If Cotto was fresher(he now swells and cuts too easily) and if he got his stamina up(to the level of ariza shakes) i might give him a chance.

Right now the only thing he has going for him are his skill and his trainer, but with his propensity to easily get cut and his bad stamina he won't survive the championship rounds against someone like Floyd.

Comment

Cotto has a chance but a very slim chance. I think Mayweather will easily outbox Cotto and cruise to a clear UD.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom213 View Post
                      I do think Cotto has a shot to beat Mayweather but he will have to fight a very good fight.

Floyd might come forward at times in this fight but I highly doubt he will be "walking Cotto down" as a strategy. Pac did this only after he damaged Cotto enough from the knockdowns and pot shotting of his own with that wicked straight left. Luckily for Cotto Floyd is a conventional fighter so he will have an easier time utilizing one of his biggest strengths his left.

There seems to be a prevailing theory that Cotto was at his best when he was this seek and destroy monster and that was what made him so good. He was at his most entertaining no denying but I think that's a bit of a false theory. He was at his best when he was putting it all together and he has switched back and forth from the stalking aggressive style to boxing and counter punching in most every fight he has been in. He has also developed and based his offense around his jab.

This is why Cotto has the chance he does. Because he is one of the most complete fighters Mayweather will have ever faced. He will also be bigger, stronger and very possibly in a much better mental state than Floyd for this fight.

I've made this point before but Floyd will be dealing with the biggest distraction he has ever dealt with privately, being ripped from his family for his jail time. Not only will his sentence be looming in his immediate future but it will be like Margarito's wraps a constant topic of conversation, the elephant in the room. Can he maintain his focus?
                      DUDE you and me are on the exact same page, LOL. Cool, thanks for your post.

Comment

Working...
                      X