Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Williams: “Of course I beat Lara, I threw more punches, and landed more punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Williams: “Of course I beat Lara, I threw more punches, and landed more punches

December 22, 2011
    PAUL WILLIAMS TO FACE NOBUHIRO ISHIDA IN FEBRUARY
    By John McCormick

JM: On February 18th you are facing Nobuhiro Ishida. How much of a threat is he to you?

Paul Williams: “I view anybody as a threat. Every time you get in the ring with someone you know that two things can happen. You can walk out a winner, or you can walk out the loser. I always look at my opponents as a threat.”

JM: Have you seen Ishida's knockout of James Kirkland? What did you think?
    PW: “I seen it. It is what it is.”

JM: Any predictions on how February 18th will play out?
    PW: “I know I am going to win. I am looking to put on a good show, and give the fans something to talk about.”

JM: Do you feel in your heart that you truly beat Erislandy Lara [Williams was the official winner of the bout, but the verdict was widely criticized as one of the worst in recent memory]?
    PW: “Of course I beat Lara. Watch the fight again. I threw more punches, and landed more punches. What all of a sudden they don’t count body shots no more? He may have landed the clean
    “ohhh-wee” shots but I brought the fight to him the whole fight while he ran. I may have not got the “ohhh-wee” shots but I landed more shots, and threw more punches. I was busier.”

JM: You don't feel he was robbed, despite all judges from that fight being suspended after the fight? Including the one judge that had it scored a draw?
    PW: “I don’t feel that way. It happens all the time. There are always going to be close calls, close fights. I like when people talk bad about me because they motivate me. I have to take the good with the bad.”

JM: What happens all the time? Fighters getting an unfair decision?
    PW: “Every day will not be a good day. I had an off night my last few fights, but the fight with Lara I pulled it off to get the win.”

JM: Fans will not forget about that Lara fight. Do you plan on getting back in the ring with him?
    PW: “If my manager and my team choose that fight for me, then of course I want to get back in the ring with him.”

JM: What can the fans expect by this time next year for the Punisher?
    PW: “They can expect the punisher to punish somebody. I am going to come out there and show them some new stuff, and do my job.

JM: After Antonio Margarito got caught attempting to place plaster in his wraps against Shane Mosley, a lot of fighters that he fought prior to that suspected he may have loaded wraps in their fights. You fought Margarito in 2007. How did Margarito's punches feel in the late rounds?
    PW: “Margarito’s punches were solid. He can punch. I won’t say that I think he had loaded hand wraps, because nothing has been proven.”

JM: Any closing thoughts for the fans?
    PW: “February 18th I will put on a show for all of my fans, and for the people that are not my fans, I plan on giving them something to talk about.”

Boxing talk

If it's just bravado - fine. But if he genuinely believes that, he won't be committed to improving and will lose his next big fight.

Comment

he's never going to learn and fix his mistakes. He said before the lara fight that he still doesn't understand how to fight left handed fighters and approaches the fight exactly the same as any other fight, and it kinda sounds like the same thing here he thinks if he's busy and throws more punches then he'll win.

Comment

He doesn't really believe that.

Comment

Funny to see people **** on Paul for saying that but said the same **** about pacq jmm 3 fight.

You can't have it both ways.

And yes Paul lost that fight just like pacq did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
            Funny to see people **** on Paul for saying that but said the same **** about pacq jmm 3 fight.

You can't have it both ways.

And yes Paul lost that fight just like pacq did.
            lol those two fights aren't even remotely similar. Pac-JMM was a close fight. There were a ton of close rounds that could have gone either way.

Lara beat the crap out of Williams and there is no doubt he won the fight. There isn't a single person who watches boxing that can honestly say Williams won.

Comment

I didn't expect him to say I got my a$$ handed to me, but if he really believes he won and did nothing wrong in his strategy, he'll have problems with Ishida. He needs to change trainers. His coach just tells him what he wants to hear.

Comment

Definitely not comparable to any of the Pacquiao-Marquez fights. This one was extremely clear.

Comment

Last edited by Weebler I; 05-28-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Lara did minimal work on the inside. This is what made the fight and scores closer than they could have been if Lara had been more active inside - he'd land nice clean shots from the outside, fall in, try to clinch, and stop working. The ref didn't always break them immediately and Williams was much more active in close like he always is. On top of that, Williams was the one pressing the action as he always is...doesn't look like a prime Williams in there anymore, but he still can give the impression of being the aggressor to judges. You have to work hard to beat Williams on the cards , unless you completely masterpiece him like Quintana - who avoided staying on the inside for too long again Williams.

I didn't see it as a robbery, there was no 116-111 for Williams or anything like that....just eeking out a round or two with more activity inside could have won Lara the fight IMO>

Comment

Working...
                    X