No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Scully on Dawson: “He sort of turned a corner in his life”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Roger, sit down and think who was YOUR trainer???? Duh!
    Sometimes these exfighter/trainers think they were "born" in boxing!! Everyone is taught by someone or influenced by a few! Roger & Floyd Sr. were good fighters and their both good trainers but without Floyd Jr. they'd be good trainers just like 75% of the trainers out there! The only think special about them is Floyd Jr.!!!!! Ray.

duh!!! your past trainer Jesse, is a white guy!
    i would imagine that Roger very much had Jesse in mind when making those comments. their relationship was, how can one put it, quite hit and miss?

Comment

It still doesn't make any sense to me that John Scully was his trainer for the fight at 168 pounds and gives all these interviews about what an "obvious, huge mistake" the decision to go down in weight was.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
        It still doesn't make any sense to me that John Scully was his trainer for the fight at 168 pounds and gives all these interviews about what an "obvious, huge mistake" the decision to go down in weight was.
        presumably, he was the technical trainer and had no say in the decision to do 168 or the strength and conditioning methods used in getting down to weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
          No he is NOT.

I just checked the WBC, WBA, IBF and the WBO champions and their top ten fighters in each organization from heavyweight down to strawweight....none of them are trained by Scully.
          I didnt mean like that. I mean in terms of boxing in his veins, being an walking encyclopedia, boxer/trainer, and living breathing the sport. If youve talked to Scully you would know what I mean. That dude knows it and loves it inside out. A purist.

Infact, I was going to add the 1st time that he's the same guy from the top to bottom. You can see him with stars one second and then the lowest end of the boxing barrell the next while treating them the same. He just loves the sport

Comment

Just a quick FYI: I had no say in him going down to 168 and had no input -unfortunately- in helping him make 168. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
              had no input -unfortunately- in helping him make 168. That's all.
              if you'd been in charge of getting him down to weight, what would you have done differently?

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                Just a quick FYI: I had no say in him going down to 168 and had no input -unfortunately- in helping him make 168. That's all.
                Right, I'm not saying it was your call. I'm just at odds with the fact that you're so vocal about what a mistake it was after the fact, when you agreed to train him and go along with that entire premise for the fight. You weren't vocal about it being a mistake while you were training him, right?

My view is either you shouldn't have accepted the role to begin with, or that since you had no problem helping train him that you shouldn't now be saying it was a no-brainer, huge blunder for him to go down to 168. It's contradictory, no?

Comment

We don't know...Maybe Scully advised Dawson against it....
                  Maybe Dawson was lured by the BUCKS$$$, and could
                  Not make the Deal at 175?
                  ....DUMB MOVE

Comment

[QUOTE=jbpanama;13186198]We don't know...Maybe Scully advised Dawson against it....
                    Maybe Dawson was lured by the BUCKS$$$, and could
                    Not make the Deal at 175?
                    ....DUMB MOVE[/QUOT

Ward had the upper hand cause he just won the tournament and had a big name and belt, and maybe Dawson really thought he could beat Ward, make more money, and make his name bigger. But does any of this mean anything if Ward goes up and beats him again at his weight class? I really dont believe dawson can beat him at 175 either. Do any of you think dawson beats ward at 175?

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
                      Right, I'm not saying it was your call. I'm just at odds with the fact that you're so vocal about what a mistake it was after the fact, when you agreed to train him and go along with that entire premise for the fight. You weren't vocal about it being a mistake while you were training him, right?

My view is either you shouldn't have accepted the role to begin with, or that since you had no problem helping train him that you shouldn't now be saying it was a no-brainer, huge blunder for him to go down to 168. It's contradictory, no?
                      man's gotta earn a dollar, doesn't mean he has to like the conditions. some trainers have more say in what goes on than others. not everyone has the option of distancing themselves from a good payday.

Comment

Working...
                      X