Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has SETI detected no signals from extra-terrestrial life?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    How else would you get the latest on Money MAIIIII!?
    If theyre fans of any other aspect of Floyd than his defensive wizardry were ****ed.

Comment

i think radio waves travel almost as fast as light... thats the fastest we can ever manage right?

unless quantum entanglement becomes more practical...

any input piggy?

Comment

104 star systems, call it 300 planets (I remember reading the average is about 2 planets per star). To contact extra-terrestrials not only would they need to exist first, a problem already but, they'd need to be able to receive the signal and send something back. You've got to remember radio transmission is a relatviely new phenomenon so they could be intelligent as we were in the 1600's and we'd never know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          i think radio waves travel almost as fast as light... thats the fastest we can ever manage right?

any input piggy?
          Radio waves are the exact same as light, just with a much longer wavelength. They're all electromagnetic waves. X-rays are the same. The exact same thing as visible light except a much shorter wavelength. Our eyes can only detect electromagnetic waves from the "visible spectrum".

Hypothetically, quantum entanglement would be instantaneous. It's the instant transfer of information. There's certain rules in quantum and if two particles become entangled they are bound by rules such as only being able to have certain quantum states relative to the other one.

I'm sure a common example is "spin" (which is mental and hard to understand, I'm struggling a lot). If one particle has a negative spin, then the other would have a positive spin, and this would be known automatically. So if you knew the spin of a particle close to you, you would instantly know the spin of the other one 1 billion light years away.

I'm not sure how they're gonna manifest this as actual transfer of real information, it's not something I've looked into a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            104 star systems, call it 300 planets (I remember reading the average is about 2 planets per star). To contact extra-terrestrials not only would they need to exist first, a problem already but, they'd need to be able to receive the signal and send something back. You've got to remember radio transmission is a relatviely new phenomenon so they could be intelligent as we were in the 1600's and we'd never know about it.
            i also would take into consideration possible intelligent civilisations being blown into smithereens by immense explosions or even getting swallowed by blackholes...

Comment

Radio waves are the exact same as light, just with a much longer wavelength. They're all electromagnetic waves. X-rays are the same. The exact same thing as visible light except a much shorter wavelength. Our eyes can only detect electromagnetic waves from the "visible spectrum".

Hypothetically, quantum entanglement would be instantaneous. It's the instant transfer of information. There's certain rules in quantum and if two particles become entangled they are bound by rules such as only being able to have certain quantum states relative to the other one.

I'm sure a common example is "spin" (which is mental and hard to understand, I'm struggling a lot). If one particle has a negative spin, then the other would have a positive spin, and this would be known automatically. So if you knew the spin of a particle close to you, you would instantly know the spin of the other one 1 billion light years away.

I'm not sure how they're gonna manifest this as actual transfer of real information, it's not something I've looked into a lot.
              what about generating a wormhole or actually warping spacetime?

christopher nolan is working on a movie that is based on kip thorne's research on relativity...

Comment

This is what always baffles me in the whole "intelligent life" debate. This assumption that, if intelligent life does exist outside of Earth, that it'd have to be more intelligent than we are. Not just more intelligent, either, but dramatically more intelligent. I don't buy it. Who is to say that there isn't intelligent life out there that are just now coming to understand what we've already mastered?

Something as simple to us as a radio wave may completely confound them.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post

any input piggy?
                  Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  This is what always baffles me in the whole "intelligent life" debate. This assumption that, if intelligent life does exist outside of Earth, that it'd have to be more intelligent than we are. Not just more intelligent, either, but dramatically more intelligent. I don't buy it. Who is to say that there isn't intelligent life out there that are just now coming to understand what we've already mastered?

Something as simple to us as a radio wave may completely confound them.
                  It might be more intelligent. Might be less. It might be too alien for us to communicate with. What if it's a hive mind, like an insect colony?

Comment

It might be more intelligent. Might be less. It might be too alien for us to communicate with. What if it's a hive mind, like an insect colony?
                    Dear fuck I hope not.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X