Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it some amateur stars/olympians can't make it in the pros and some can?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it some amateur stars/olympians can't make it in the pros and some can?

Is it for obvious reasons such as longer rounds & no protective gear? Or are there other reasons?

I would think a decorated amateur could easily adjust to the obvious reasons given they are where they are due to their athletic ability. But when I look back at a guy like Rocky Juarez (a silver medalist), he was able to go 12rds with the best and take their punches but he couldnt pull the trigger. Was that because he never fully transitioned into a pro?

Because it takes more than just skill to make it as a top level pro. You need the heart, will and the right mentality as well as the physical and technical talents.

Comment

I believe the stupid point system and headgear have created a generation of soft fighters who haven't had proper boxing skills. They tend to lack power and body work because they aren't really used in the Olympics. The new changes for the next Olympics should bring back the tougher, more skilled fighters and I'm excited for that.

Comment

they are two different sports.

there's a huge difference between a 3-5 round fight with headgear and a 12 round fight with 8 oz gloves. huge.

Comment

Having the right trainer(s), promoter(s) can help a lot when trying to move into the pro ranks. The team around the fighter needs to realise what adjustments need to be made to make a successful pro fighter, and the promoter needs to bring them through the correct way (a lot of am stars come through with big money/fame already behind them and can be protected because of that)

Also I think physically the pro game suits slightly different attributes to the amateurs. Chin, power and stamina do not play the same role in the ams as they do the pro's (maybe changing now with ten point must system and no headgear).

Overall i think a lot of top amateur fighters have the potential to be at least decent pro fighters. Whether they fullfill that potential is down their team, their personality and also luck/judgement (signing with the right promoter at the right time, finding the right trainer etc).

Comment

Different sports really, amateur boxing is about scoring points while pro boxing is about hurting people.

An amateur can make it in the pros if they can really avoid getting hurt, with the toughness and dedication to get through those tough times when they come. A guy that is more suited for the pros can do well in the amateurs if they are a supreme athlete.

Comment

heart/chin
              Determination/will
              Power/style
              Dedication

A supporting cast is huge,and need to be
              Knowledgeable.

Natural talent and athleticism are a huge bonus
              Along with matchmaking

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                Because it takes more than just skill to make it as a top level pro. You need the heart, will and the right mentality as well as the physical and technical talents.
                I agree, you cannot teach heart!

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                  I believe the stupid point system and headgear have created a generation of soft fighters who haven't had proper boxing skills. They tend to lack power and body work because they aren't really used in the Olympics. The new changes for the next Olympics should bring back the tougher, more skilled fighters and I'm excited for that.
                  The point system is very flawed & I am with you on being excited about the new scoring and next olympics. One thing I have noticed as an (novice) amatuer coach in SoCal @ my 3rd gym, we teach our kids the pro style right off the bat. It maybe the culture Im around though...

Comment

I get you box fan.
                    But some of these kids
                    Get taught the wrong pro style.
                    Got slow or average speed kids
                    Trying to fight slick styles.

Truth is most kids dont wanna get hit.
                    I see mexicaN kids with average speed and athleticism trying to fight on the outside
                    Defensively. Its as if pressure game is dying as well as inside game.dads/uncles and.grandpas and coaches want all their kids to be mayweathers.

Comment

Working...
                    X