Fights where biased commentary changed perceptions of fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
    Chavez-Taylor for sure.

The HBO crew would have you believe Taylor was easily winning the fight when in fact he was losing, especially with the knockdown in the 12th. Steele's call, whether right or wrong, prevented (what would would have been) a bad decision on the score cards and secured a win for the rightful winner, Julio Cesar Chavez.
    My #1 pick.

The HBO crew completely ignored what Chavez was doing in there. They were sure to call every punch landed by Taylor (and hype-job Lampley exaggerrated the effect- "Chavez on the verge of going down!"- which he wasn't even close to doing), while never saying a aword about 90% of the DAMAGING blows JCC was landing.

Comment

And thus nowadays when people bring up that fight, people automatically assume Taylor had won every round giving more weight to the argument that Steele shouldn't have stopped the fight.

Comment

Even with the knockdown factored in to the final scoring (10-8 across the board in the 12th for Chavez), Taylor STILL would have won that fight had Steele not stopped it, and that would have been a terrible decision on the cards, so I am glad Steele did what he did because it really was the only way for the right fighter to win that fight at that point, though I am sure Steele did not know that when he did what he did, he just saw a hurt fighter not responding to direct questions.

HBO did a terrible job of describing the action and putting it all into proper context. They wanted a "superstar on the threshold of greatness" and that's how they were determined to describe Taylor no matter what was happening in there
        Last edited by fitefanSHO; 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM.

Comment

HBO's one-sided call took away from the fact that what was taking pace was one of the most well-fought and intense fights of all time. Take away the controversial stoppage and the HBO fraudulence, and it was truly boxing at its best, IMO.

Comment

Mayweather-Castillo I: I had it 7-4-1 for Mayweather. The HBO team ignored a lot of Mayweather's clean blows while going nuts over Castillo punching arms and gloves. Compubox made it look even worse. Castillo didn't land more punches than Mayweather. I don't care what anyone says.

Mayweather-Hatton: HBO's most biased performance. Lederman had Hatton up after like 6 rounds.

Calzaghe-Hopkins: Joe wasn't landing, but you wouldn't know that based on the commentary.

Comment

Recently Maidana vs Morales which I did not view to be near as close as others did and I can only guess it was from commentators who were feeling the emotion from the crowd whenever Morales landed a shot whether it was flush or not.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006
                LOL at the Chavez nuthuggers defending the indefensible :hahahaha9: Face it: You boy was getting exposed and needed a paid-off Don King gladhandler ref to save his ass :hand9:

Poet
                Not saying Chavez wasn't behind on points- he was and should have been. But, you cannot deny the HBO crew wasn't calling the fight exactly as it was happening.

My opinion is that Taylor was damaged enough to have the fight stopped, but not at the point it was stopped. He should have been allowed to continue. As a true Chavez fan, and not a nuthugger, I'd have rather had it go to the cards, Chavez lose, then come back and prove he was superior in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by vincebond View Post
                  Mayweather-Castillo I: I had it 7-4-1 for Mayweather. The HBO team ignored a lot of Mayweather's clean blows while going nuts over Castillo punching arms and gloves. Compubox made it look even worse. Castillo didn't land more punches than Mayweather. I don't care what anyone says.

Mayweather-Hatton: HBO's most biased performance. Lederman had Hatton up after like 6 rounds.

Calzaghe-Hopkins: Joe wasn't landing, but you wouldn't know that based on the commentary.
                  I agree with the Mayweather fights.

Lampley was going crazy over Castillo literally landing no punches in a 4 punch combination.

And how Lederman had Ricky Hatton and Mayweather even going into the 9th (or 8th, can't remember) is literally beyond me. Cannot see how you can have that scorecard.

I have only watched the Hopkins-Calzaghe fight once and I can't really remember the commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    Not saying Chavez wasn't behind on points- he was and should have been. But, you cannot deny the HBO crew wasn't calling the fight exactly as it was happening.

My opinion is that Taylor was damaged enough to have the fight stopped, but not at the point it was stopped. He should have been allowed to continue. As a true Chavez fan, and not a nuthugger, I'd have rather had it go to the cards, Chavez lose, then come back and prove he was superior in the rematch.
                    Fair enough! I couldn't tell you how the HBO crew was calling it as I rarely pay attention to the squawking heads calling a fight. I tune those dudes out as a rule.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                      Recently Maidana vs Morales which I did not view to be near as close as others did and I can only guess it was from commentators who were feeling the emotion from the crowd whenever Morales landed a shot whether it was flush or not.
                      I don't think Morales won but it was definitely a close fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X