No announcement yet.

Jersey Joe Walcott

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    I liked Joe in the 1st Marciano fight as well, as a ref well, Ali vs Liston II.

I agree he was a good fighter, a very good slick fighter who gives anybody handfuls at his best. One of my favourites and I feel he is a top 20 heavyweight.

A tribute I made:

terrific HL, brother

shows you how many friggin tricks the guy had.

he had moves moves moves

very well rounded too
    could box
    had a jab
    great counterpuncher.
    could stand in the pocket and knock you out or just make you miss all your shots.

Comment

Yea, nice vid Barn. Forgot to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
        Besides from being a great boxer, he also had one of the coolest boxing names imo.
        Yeah he had a pretty cool name. I think he got it from another boxer though. His real name was Arnold Cream. Another top boxer around that era didn't use his real name either. Sugar Ray Robinson was Walker Smith.

Jersey Joe had some pretty good defensive movements.

Comment

Lets give it up for Jersey Joe! He had heart, if anybody did. He was the definition of late bloomer, much like Glen Johnson, but Glen was 35 when he won his world title and Joe was 37. He had lost 16 fights before he finally reached the throne, the echelon of the boxing world. And in what way! By knocking out the p4p king of that time, Ezzard Charles. He was clearly a puncher but he was also a slick defensive fighter and a good technician.

I know he was also a referee, but does anybody know how he was as a ref? And what are your fav fights with Jersey Joe? Mine are the second and third Charles fight and the first Marciano fight.
          Decent fighter. He had a lot of clever moves that young spook fighters try to emulate today.

Comment

Lets give it up for Jersey Joe! He had heart, if anybody did. He was the definition of late bloomer, much like Glen Johnson, but Glen was 35 when he won his world title and Joe was 37. He had lost 16 fights before he finally reached the throne, the echelon of the boxing world. And in what way! By knocking out the p4p king of that time, Ezzard Charles. He was clearly a puncher but he was also a slick defensive fighter and a good technician.

I know he was also a referee, but does anybody know how he was as a ref? And what are your fav fights with Jersey Joe? Mine are the second and third Charles fight and the first Marciano fight.
            I love the guy. The reason he lost a lot of fights early in his career was usually due to malnutrition. Jersey Joe sometimes had fights where he had not eaten for over two days, Joe described the awful pain of being hit hard on an empty belly. He describes the pain as so severe that nothing else is worse. This is a man who went hungry so his kids could eat. -------------------------------- He never had the chance in his younger days because of this, his road was one of the hardest. As a boxer Walcott actually has few peers as a skillful boxer......... If his skills had been noticed a lot younger, he may have proved an invincible fighter, just think of Joe when he was champion, and now think of what he could have looked like as a 25 year old who had a fair go.......... I think this is one of the great if's in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by 2stepshep View Post
              Yeah he had a pretty cool name. I think he got it from another boxer though. His real name was Arnold Cream. Another top boxer around that era didn't use his real name either. Sugar Ray Robinson was Walker Smith.

Jersey Joe had some pretty good defensive movements.
              Many did it,,.... Ad Wolgast was actually Adolph W.... good name to hide..... Eddie McGoorty was Edwin Dusart...... Vic Patrick was Victor Lucca..... Tommy Burns was Noah Brusso..... Tommy Burns II was Geoffrey Murphy..... Young Corbett II was William J. Rothwell..... Young Corbett III was Raffael Capabianca Giordano..... Young Peter Jackson was Sim Thompkins...... George K.O. Brown was George Contas.... George Chip was George Chipolonas.........Mickey Walker was Edward Patrick Walker...... Young Ahearn was Jacob K. Woodward...... & Jeff Smith was Jerome Jeffords. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Now why do you think they changed their names ????....... I mean, Jacob K. Woodward ??.. William J. Rothwell...?? .. Edwin Dusart ????....... not exactly the scariest names are they ??....

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                Many did it,,.... Ad Wolgast was actually Adolph W.... good name to hide..... Eddie McGoorty was Edwin Dusart...... Vic Patrick was Victor Lucca..... Tommy Burns was Noah Brusso..... Tommy Burns II was Geoffrey Murphy..... Young Corbett II was William J. Rothwell..... Young Corbett III was Raffael Capabianca Giordano..... Young Peter Jackson was Sim Thompkins...... George K.O. Brown was George Contas.... George Chip was George Chipolonas.........Mickey Walker was Edward Patrick Walker...... Young Ahearn was Jacob K. Woodward...... & Jeff Smith was Jerome Jeffords. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Now why do you think they changed their names ????....... I mean, Jacob K. Woodward ??.. William J. Rothwell...?? .. Edwin Dusart ????....... not exactly the scariest names are they ??....
                If some of the guys from our time were around in the old days... we may have seen Oscar DeLaHoya as Kid Azteca II....... Roy Jones Jr. as Roy Gatemouth Jones....... Kid Chocolate as Kid Chocolate II (the one today),..... Michael Katsides as Mick Cyclone Langford.... --------- Manny Pacquiao as Phillipines Jock McCoy......... Muhammad Ali as Cassius Clay.... ------- Evander Holyfield as Young Clay........ Sugar Shane Mosley as Young Clay II................ --- Zab Judah as Young "Gatemouth" Clay III. ---- Wlad Klitschko as Stretch Armstrong.. ---- Marvellous Marvin Hagler as Marvellous Marvin Hagler (after all he already gave it the old-time touch,... and it's already perfect)...... Mike Tyson as Cannibal Tyson............................................. ...........-------------------------------------------------------------------and we would have had numerous guys coming out of Italy called Rocky Marciano II,.. III,,,IV,,,,,,, etc...... hope you had a laugh at this one guys

Comment

Working...
                X