Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does living in a bad neighborhood make you tough?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tago Nang Tago View Post
    not at all,in fact it can make you even more sheltered. i've lived in a rotten neighborhood for all of my life and i hardly even leave the house anymore.
    In Cypress??? I had a cousin that used to live in Long Beach, then moved to Cypress. This is all before she relocated to Boston, then eventually Brooklyn. But I saw her in Cypress a couple times, seemed pretty nice to me. I think she said there's like a murder per year there, sometimes not at all. I remember just seeing a lot of Asian people and a lot of white people. Of course I was only there a week or so at a time.

Besides the obvious bad neighborhood stigma places like East LA, Inglewood, South Central, Compton, East Long Beach....the place I saw in LA that looked a bit run down compared to the rest was Carson. Ate at a really great Chinese place there though lol
    Last edited by 4Corners; 05-20-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      In Cypress??? I had a cousin that used to live in Long Beach, then moved to Cypress. This is all before she relocated to Boston, then eventually Brooklyn. But I saw her in Cypress a couple times, seemed pretty nice to me. I think she said there's like a murder per year there, sometimes not at all. I remember just seeing a lot of Asian people and a lot of white people. Of course I was only there a week or so at a time.
      well i live right on the boarded of cypress and hawaiian gardens. in case you aren't aware hg is home to some of the most violent gangs despite being one of the smallest cities in la county. but yeah its a little nicer in cypress lots of asian people coming over from cerritos and artesia. but in my opinion every year it gets worse and worse with gangs and thugs. the residential areas are getting all tagged up and trash is all over. and the schools were like every other l.a. school, major segregation based on race. yea carson is pretty bad,anything south of L.a can get rough

Comment

individuals are different, and you're going to have people who buck trends, but i'd have to say "of course," if somebody were to ask me if growing up in poverty makes you "tougher."

boxing is a great illustration of this. jewish, irish, and italian boxers used to be big players in the lower weight classes, and they mixed in with blacks, latinos. now an american white boxer is much more rare, almost a novelty, but you see them in europe, often coming out of former soviet countries and from poor communities. skin color obviously isn't the important variable, it's how they grew up, and if they've got anything to lose that they wouldn't want to have to give up from a hard career in boxing.

Comment

well i live right on the boarded of cypress and hawaiian gardens. in case you aren't aware hg is home to some of the most violent gangs despite being one of the smallest cities in la county. but yeah its a little nicer in cypress lots of asian people coming over from cerritos and artesia. but in my opinion every year it gets worse and worse with gangs and thugs. the residential areas are getting all tagged up and trash is all over. and the schools were like every other l.a. school, major segregation based on race. yea carson is pretty bad,anything south of L.a can get rough
          Yeah Hawaiian Gardens looked like a crap hole lol I t seemed like a Latino hood, but I would hardly say it's worse than most bad areas in LA. If you look up a crime state on it theres been like 6 murders the last 6 years. But it seemed definitely more run down than places around it.

I thought Cerritos and Cypress were nice. Artesia seemed like a mix bag. Long Beach had really nice areas, but a couple really crappy ones. Biggest thing about LA is at times it seemed like you could be in a really crap part of town, then boom a mile or two down the road it's nice, then crappy another half mile down the road, then boom another mile your nice again. Very mixed bag in certain areas. I think they've done a good job of cleaning up a lot of LA the last 20 years.

They've done a good job in a lot of cities at least out West. Phoenix, Denver, even parts of Albuquerque have all gone through some nice gentrification the last 20 years and crime in those areas has gone down. I don't think Gangs are what they used to be in the 70's, 80's, 90's.

Comment

It seemed in LA like the further North you went it got worse. Once we got to Downey, South Gate, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park it was straight Barrio lol And from Carson and Compton to downtown LA it goes without saying it's not a great area lol

I didn't go anywhere in North LA in the valley, but I've heard it's nicer there. West LA was a mixed bag. We stopped at a gas station in Pico Union district or something, run down as ****. But then Hollywood looked alright.

Comment

Yeah Hawaiian Gardens looked like a crap hole lol I t seemed like a Latino hood, but I would hardly say it's worse than most bad areas in LA. If you look up a crime state on it theres been like 6 murders the last 6 years. But it seemed definitely more run down than places around it.

I thought Cerritos and Cypress were nice. Artesia seemed like a mix bag. Long Beach had really nice areas, but a couple really crappy ones. Biggest thing about LA is at times it seemed like you could be in a really crap part of town, then boom a mile or two down the road it's nice, then crappy another half mile down the road, then boom another mile your nice again. Very mixed bag in certain areas. I think they've done a good job of cleaning up a lot of LA the last 20 years.

They've done a good job in a lot of cities at least out West. Phoenix, Denver, even parts of Albuquerque have all gone through some nice gentrification the last 20 years and crime in those areas has gone down. I don't think Gangs are what they used to be in the 70's, 80's, 90's.
              they don't murder people in HG because there's no conflict since there's only one big active gang there,i think abner mares even came up with them. HG13 but the la county sherrifs and gang units have been doing major sweeps on them for years and years. at one point they literally ran the city. they go to other cities to do their work. but ur right about being in what appears to be a nice area and then a few blocks down it becomes ghetto again.

norwalk is a great example,some residential areas look very clean but elsewhere it's a dirty hole.
              Last edited by Tago Nang Tago; 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

It seemed in LA like the further North you went it got worse. Once we got to Downey, South Gate, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park it was straight Barrio lol And from Carson and Compton to downtown LA it goes without saying it's not a great area lol

I didn't go anywhere in North LA in the valley, but I've heard it's nicer there. West LA was a mixed bag. We stopped at a gas station in Pico Union district or something, run down as ****. But then Hollywood looked alright.
                huntington park is literally mexico lol. i don't think anyone even speaks english over there. every billboard and advertisement is in spanish. i remember rolling by one time and saw a car on fire in the middle of the street and nobody gave a **** lol. south gate is straight ghetto barrio, bell, bell gardens too. some parts of downey are alright, others are nasty.

Comment

huntington park is literally mexico lol. i don't think anyone even speaks english over there. every billboard and advertisement is in spanish. i remember rolling by one time and saw a car on fire in the middle of the street and nobody gave a **** lol. south gate is straight ghetto barrio, bell, bell gardens too. some parts of downey are alright, others are nasty.
                  Ayeeeeee South Gate ese........

Cypress Hill represent lol

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    individuals are different, and you're going to have people who buck trends, but i'd have to say "of course," if somebody were to ask me if growing up in poverty makes you "tougher."

boxing is a great illustration of this. jewish, irish, and italian boxers used to be big players in the lower weight classes, and they mixed in with blacks, latinos. now an american white boxer is much more rare, almost a novelty, but you see them in europe, often coming out of former soviet countries and from poor communities. skin color obviously isn't the important variable, it's how they grew up, and if they've got anything to lose that they wouldn't want to have to give up from a hard career in boxing.
                    Yeah, very good point

Before Latinos took over the part of NYC I lived in, that was all Jewish, Irish and Italians. The teachers, who were Irish-am or Italian-am, or Jewish, would tell us the stories of gangs in the area back in their day, all the fights and all that. And yeah, those were the tough guys, the guys that made boxing a living

Comment

I'd say en masse, yes. However it can teach people how to avoid trouble, read situations better, streetwise. Tough doesn't make you a good fighter (though it helps immensely), i'd of thought its more a state of mind than sheer physicality alone. 90% of the time, we're the result of our environment so as I said, pretty much yes. Doesn't mean they're more dangerous.

Someone who climbs Everest, that's tough, 'hardy'. But they may never have had a fight in their lives....I'd still deem them 'tough'. It's all about concept....
                      Last edited by RightJab; 05-20-2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X