No announcement yet.

Clarification (Godfrey-Hawk)...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification (Godfrey-Hawk)...

From the comments I read a few days ago I guess a few of you saw the fight LOL... anyway, one thing that came to my attention today, actually two related items, and I felt the need to clarify something (u never know who is reading, right?)

Apparently in the second round of the fight fans tuning in to the fight were led to believe I said something along the lines that I viewed Hawk as an untalented guy or something...and I just want to make it clear, because Hawk doesnt deserve that, that I wouldnt disrespect a fighter by calling him untalented or anything like that...I wouldnt be that blatant and if anyone here knows Hawk (I know he posts on some message boards) I would appreciate it if you would let him know what I said...I am sure that when asked about the fight I said something like Hawk is not as talented as Godfrey or Hawk wasnt on the level of Matt yet in terms of overall skills, experience, level of comp, etc etc...but if Shawn watches the tape and comes away with the impression that I was degrading him as a boxer, well, I was not...I was merely pointing out that I didn't think he was on the level of Matt Godfrey yet...and I think that was a fair assessment...then, though, apparently Teddy used that to kind of say how "oh, well that explains it then," implying that we chose Shawn Hawk to fight because we had been on a card with him a few months ago in North Dakota and that we chose him because we felt he was a guy we were sure to beat, like we were picking and choosing our opponents and, in this case, were taking what we perceived as an easy road...and I just want to say that is VERY INACCURATE!!!!!

The main thing that needs to be put out there is that we didnt choose anyone, Shawn Hawk chose us! The same night of the fight in North Dakota were told that Hawk's father wasn't impressed with us and that he felt his son would beat us. Next thing we know we are offered the main event on ESPN and we are told that Hawk is one of the main ones ESPN wants to put in with us. First it was Aaron Williams and we took it no questions asked but something came up a few days later and that fight was scratched. Then Hawk was offered and we took it no questions asked. So, just to set the record straight, we didn't go looking to fight Shawn Hawk because we thought he was a guy we would beat on TV and it would look good because he was 18-0...it was nothing like that...he chose us and we accepted HIM.

One thing I will say about Matt...love him or hate him, he would fight anyone offered...to my knowledge he has never turned down a fight as an amateur or a pro...I was with him when they offered Jeremy Williams and he took it...Aaron Williams, he took it, top rated Rudolph Kraj, took it, Herbie Hide, he took it, Adamek he took it...he has accepted every fight ever offered him and some of them, like the ones I just mentioned, fell out before they could be finalized...and I know some of you are not happy with his performance the other night (even though he won 9 of 10 rounds and outpunched and outlanded his opponent by a wide margin)...but the fact is that this was his fourth ESPN showing, the first 3 ended with early knockout victories and then u have this one....unexciting as it may have been to hard core fans, everybody is all over Matt but very few have (rightfully) pointed out that Hawk threw way less punches than Matt did...Matt is a very good counterpuncher by nature but it is difficult to land great counter shots when your opponent isnt throwing very many shots of his own...and obviously Matt's boxing skills, range, jab, etc are what caused his opponent to not be able to get off like he wanted...so I am not going to sit here and say u all should be ecstatic about the fight because of the things I bring up here...not making any excuses for a victory...just giving reasons why a certain fight may go a particular way...that is all
    Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 07-16-2009, 12:22 AM.

i was watchin the fight and i kinda figured teddy and the crew were quoting stuff out of context.

nice to know, now that you clarified

you were lookin sharp Ice you should replace teddy. the dude has been saying pretty much the same **** every fight. now he has a thing where he brings up ridiculous examples of what's going on in the ring in the form of food, dinner tables, etc. lol its pretty sad

"well he's like a sandwich. a sandwich that you make using ham, cheese. now its time to use the proper topping on this sandwich"

you kno, ridiculous **** like that

Comment

haha i didnt know you posted on here...i dont think its just the posters on here but teddy atlas was the one trying to degrade you and godfrey by saying you picked the easy fight etc...

Comment

hey man hair looks nice. ha ha.
        yes when you see tape joe and teddy kept on going over the north dakota venue.
        say don't mean to high jack but what happened to shaun george. he was schooling henry big time right off the bat.
        ryan was there and said george hurt his hand or shoulder ot something.

after the byrd fight i thought he'd beat godfrey if they tangled again.

Comment

Well, as I said, Godfrey in no way chose an easy fight...he didn't "choose" anything or anyone, Teddy was VERY WRONG on that one...I guess he just assumed but the FACT is that Hawk's people WANTED to fight Matt...they called and asked if we wanted to fight and we said yes...period.

Also, if we can choose to be a sandwish, in honor of my trip to Philly, I would like to be a Pat's Steak ("gimme one wid' a little")

Comment

Not sure what happened to Shaun other than he appeared to get tired after failing to KO the apparently IRON CHINNED Henry early on...looked like Shaun gassed himself and never got back on track...

Comment

interesting you giving the kid a break and having godfrey go lefty.
              ha ha. man what a tactic for further refferance.

Comment

This is front page material!!

As for the final remarks, I think fans are naive if they expect a fight or a fighter to be over-the-top entertaining every time out. One thing I've always liked about boxing is that a truly spectacular fight is few-and-far-between, but is nothing if not worth the wait.

Comment

yeah when teddy said that i was like "oh matt must have been confident in beating him...." guess it was the other way around.

anyway i wish matt the best of luck....hope he does well in his carrer.

Comment

One thing I always say, boxing would be great if you could take a guy and bottle his best performance for later use...but you can't and THAT is what makes boxing so interesting..as good as u are, you still have to go out and DO IT when called upon...

Comment

Working...
                    X