No announcement yet.

Tyrell Biggs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrell Biggs

Watched alot of this guys fights lately.Boy was he matched tough.
    Almost from the start.
    Anyone any views on him.
    He had a slick style but not much power IMO.Didnt lack courage though.Watched his one armed win over Jeff Simm, some performance.His handlers seemed to try and turn him into a slugger when he was a naturally gifted boxer.

I think ty was more suited for amateur boxing. He was like you stated matched against stiff opposition but maybe and I am not saying this was the right or moral thing to do but was done to make as much money as possible before his drug problem ended his carreer

Comment

I've always felt that Mike Tyson's very best career performance was against him. Biggs' career was pretty much over after that savage beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I've always felt that Mike Tyson's very best career performance was against him. Biggs' career was pretty much over after that savage beating.
        I think the punishment mike dealt out was personal and as you state very impressive. Mike had many impressive fights at that stag of his career but this one defined his ability at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          I think the punishment mike dealt out was personal and as you state very impressive. Mike had many impressive fights at that stag of his career but this one defined his ability at that time.
          He was talking so much," Tyson said. "He was going to do this, he was going to do that. He didn't show me any respect.

"I was going to make him pay with his health for everything he said. I could have knocked him out in the third round, but I wanted to do it very slowly. I wanted him to remember this for a long time."

And then Tyson said something that should have sent chills down the spine of all would-be opponents.

"After each fight, I progress a little more," he said. "I'm still an inexperienced fighter. I can get a lot better."

And then you have such idiocy as the comment below,,,,,

"I still feel like I'm a better fighter than Mike Tyson," the defiant Biggs said as blood trickled down his chin and dark glasses covered his swollen eyes. "Tonight, he was better than me, but I don't think he could do this five out of five times.

"His punches weren't that dominating. Jeff Sims hit me with harder punches than that. There was a time in the fight when I told him, 'I thought you punched harder than that.' " T. Biggs
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-19-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Was matched tough very early because of his amateur credentials ..

I think he got rushed into the tyson fight.. It was peak tyson and Biggs while matched tough as a prospect, really didn't have many rounds at the top level, let alone a guy like tyson.. I was thought Biggs should have feasted on tyson leftovers thru 87-88 and really been groomed for a big fight with tyson after tyson and King were done cash grabbing vs Holmes n Spinks

And like others have said, tyson laid a beating on him, and then he had long layoffs between fights for the rest of the decade and never recaptured the momentum he had as a prospect

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Was matched tough very early because of his amateur credentials ..

I think he got rushed into the tyson fight.. It was peak tyson and Biggs while matched tough as a prospect, really didn't have many rounds at the top level, let alone a guy like tyson.. I was thought Biggs should have feasted on tyson leftovers thru 87-88 and really been groomed for a big fight with tyson after tyson and King were done cash grabbing vs Holmes n Spinks

And like others have said, tyson laid a beating on him, and then he had long layoffs between fights for the rest of the decade and never recaptured the momentum he had as a prospect
              I agree he was rushed into the Tyson fight.

I had the opportunity to meet him when he was coming up. He came off as rude and as though he was too good for people. Awhile later I admit I enjoyed the Tyson fight for that reason.
              Last edited by TBear; 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                I agree he was rushed into the Tyson fight.

I had the opportunity to meet him when he was coming up. He came off as rude and as though he was too good for people. Awhile later I admit I enjoyed the Tyson fight for that reason.
                I remember reading a Tyson comment that Biggs made fun of him because Tyson was an alternate for the 96 Olympic team. There was bad blood before their fight. Now after reading this it appears he's just an A-hole.
                Last edited by TBear; 11-25-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
                  I read he kicked his drug issues after his first pro fight ? I read that he said he was clean after that ? I noticed after Tyson he fought Damiani Mason Bowe and Lewis when they were all unbeaten and at the top of their game/thats tough !
                  He gave Bowe a great fight.He seemed to suffer from cuts.You are right he was a great amateur.

Comment

Just another example of why fighting is such a demanding enterprise. So, around the time of Biggs the amateur/Olympics was fair to middlin, and one adapts to that fight style, learning punches in bunches, clean hits, standing straight up with the chin right there, and then they become professionals...Now comes a different style and different adaptations, life may well get in the way...yada yada.

Well Mike Tyson dominated the junior olympics but never went to the olympics and in this case it helped him to jump right into the professional game at a young age. Briggs was not only overmatched physically, but mentally as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X