No announcement yet.

Should Same Day Weigh-Ins Return?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
    I agree. There needs to be some type of strict rule in place. It's tricky though with boxing because every state has different rules. Nevada can bring back same day weigh-ins, but others might not.
    Yeah, it's times like these that these rules really show how far the sport has slipped when it comes to a fair fight. The corruption needs to end!

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      It's really absurd that boxers don't weigh in before the fight at the contracted limit. It is one big lie really. I think the same day weigh-ins should return. Any thoughts?
      Never. People forget the reason they removed same day weigh ins. Fighters will drain themselves no matter what, doing it on the same day just makes it more dangerous.

The Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight was one of the major contributors that led to 12 rounds fights and day before weigh ins. The Michael Spinks and Mustafa Muhammad cancellation also contributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
        Never. People forget the reason they removed same day weigh ins. Fighters will drain themselves no matter what, doing it on the same day just makes it more dangerous.

The Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight was one of the major contributors that led to 12 rounds fights and day before weigh ins. The Michael Spinks and Mustafa Muhammad cancellation also contributed.
        That didn't stop Jimmy Garcia's death at the hands of Gabriel Ruelas. Boxers weren't dropping like flies before the rule change. It's just a way to drive up money by having them make ridiculous weights for more titles i.e. more sanctioning fees.

Comment

That didn't stop Jimmy Garcia's death at the hands of Gabriel Ruelas. Boxers weren't dropping like flies before the rule change. It's just a way to drive up money by having them make ridiculous weights for more titles i.e. more sanctioning fees.
          Circular arguing, just because someone died after the introduction for day before weigh ins doesn't mean day before weigh ins haven't been beneficial to boxers health when cutting weight.

Thats like saying there shouldn't be a speed limit because accidents still happen when there is a speed limit. Also changing to day before weigh ins has nothing to do with adding more weight classes, I don't know why you even brought that up its a completely different argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
            Circular arguing, just because someone died after the introduction for day before weigh ins doesn't mean day before weigh ins haven't been beneficial to boxers health when cutting weight.

Thats like saying there shouldn't be a speed limit because accidents still happen when there is a speed limit. Also changing to day before weigh ins has nothing to do with adding more weight classes, I don't know why you even brought that up its a completely different argument.
            Think about it.

That fight was in the 1980s when all of these extra divisions started popping up. Some were around here and there but they all took off I the 80s. And of course along with that, we got the alphabets along with day before weigh ins. More money for the organizations and it has only gotten worse since. I mean, come on. This is two guys bashing each other in the head for money- money. Do you really think the powers that be give a damn about fighters getting hurt? How about all the other guys who got hurt over the years? They care about money- not safety. Besides, how safety-concerned can a guy be who pursues this career? I love boxing but its nature is brutal. And those who preside over it only care about the money which is why we have the corruption we have.

Comment

I don't think it necessarily would have made a difference, but Canelo-Cotto might have gone differently had Canelo been forced to weigh 160 on fight night.

Comment

I don't think it necessarily would have made a difference, but Canelo-Cotto might have gone differently had Canelo been forced to weigh 160 on fight night.
                If it was same day weigh-in Canelo wouldn't be fighting at 160 in the first place, personally I prefer same day weigh-ins, don't think its fair for people to rehydrate and have noticeable size advantages, if you can't make a weight, don't fight at it, go fight a guy your own size, I bet every division would look very different if it was the case.

Comment

People would still drain themselves and with such short recovery time you would see more brain injuries because of it.

Comment

No
                    It isn't the problem, the problem is the rehydration.
                    Not safe to have a fighter with a 20 or more weight advantage, but if the fighters had to cut weight to make a fight (get money) they will. So having fighters dropping weight and fighting on the same day would be bad.
                    We've seen bad weight drained performances, imagine those fighters dead or brain damaged, instead of just losing a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
                      same day weigh, a day before the fight weigh in ok with me, but the fighter should only weigh a max of 5 lbs more than the maximum weight of the division they are fighting when they enter the ring.
                      5lbs lol. why would guys even cut? 10 lbs of rehydration is fair...anything more and the guy could be putting himself at risk, not to mention the possibility of putting his opponent at risk. normally i'd say if a guy can cut and rehydrate without affecting his performance level, then all the power to him. that said,the weight cutting definitely favors the younger fighter. for that reason i'd be for a rehydration clause.

Comment

Working...
                      X