No announcement yet.

Gamboa's camp files for dismissal of Top Rank lawsuit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    I never fully understood the purpose of promoters. What can they do for you that you can't do for yourself?
    ....Umm Promote?

Comment

I was always curious as to why people believed everything that came out early on when it was clearly Top Rank's side of the story.

Is it because people want Top Rank and Bob to Ruin this guys career? Or do they just love a certain Arum-affiliated fighter so much that they will take his side without knowing the details?

Anyway, Gamboa's attorney is saying that Gamboa never signed on to be promoted by Top Rank. It was the CEO of Arena Box trying to pimp Gamboa that might be the way out for Gamboa.

Either way, I agree with the poster that said both side will get what they want. Top Rank/Arena will get some money and Gamboa will get released. But it seems like in the court of public opinion, he'll be labeled a ducker, especially if he is promoted by Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by 26 and Live View Post
        I was always curious as to why people believed everything that came out early on when it was clearly Top Rank's side of the story.

Is it because people want Top Rank and Bob to Ruin this guys career? Or do they just love a certain Arum-affiliated fighter so much that they will take his side without knowing the details?

Anyway, Gamboa's attorney is saying that Gamboa never signed on to be promoted by Top Rank. It was the CEO of Arena Box trying to pimp Gamboa that might be the way out for Gamboa.

Either way, I agree with the poster that said both side will get what they want. Top Rank/Arena will get some money and Gamboa will get released. But it seems like in the court of public opinion, he'll be labeled a ducker, especially if he is promoted by Mayweather.
        Because Top Rank is run by big sneaky lawyers, and Gamboa is a cuban defect who is letting guys around him whisper in his eye.

I dont care what his attorney said honestly. I fully expect TR to win even tho i dont want them too

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          That makes no sense. They didnt give him the money as a gift, it was an advance. They gave him money for future work to be done. They cant rule against Arum but also agree that he did infact get the advance
          I don't think you understood my question. If the money was given to him but there was no agreement or the agreement was invalid why would he have to pay it back? Like I said, if you give me some money (in advance) but there was no agreement between us I wouldn't be paying you **** back. But that was a hypothetical question, I truly believe that advance was never given to him.
          Last edited by .:: JSFD26 ::.; 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I don't think you understood my question. If the money was given to him but there was no agreement or the agreement was invalid why would he have to pay it back? Like I said, if you give me some money (in advance) but there was no agreement between us I quotient be paying you **** back. But that was a hypothetical question, I truly believe that advance was never given to him.
            No you dont understand, he wouldnt be given money unless there was an agreement. They didnt just give it to him and say "buy yourself something nice"

Comment

Because Top Rank is run by big sneaky lawyers, and Gamboa is a cuban defect who is letting guys around him whisper in his eye.

I dont care what his attorney said honestly. I fully expect TR to win even tho i dont want them too
              I see what you're saying. But from the looks of things, Gamboa didn't sign anything with Top Rank. He only signed with Arena and in an attempt to pimp Gamboa to Top Rank, may have breached the contract. We'll see though

Comment

No you dont understand, he wouldnt be given money unless there was an agreement. They didnt just give it to him and say "buy yourself something nice"
                So Gamboa's lawyer doesn't know wtf he's talking about by saying they never agreed on anything?

Again, they either didn't agree on anything and gave him the advance or there was NEVER any advance. Cause I doubt they would give him any money without any type of signature which Gamboa and his lawyer say he never did sign anything.

Anyway, regardless of the outcome of this issue which as a fan Im staying optimistic is a good one, the damage to Gamboa's image has been done as Top Rank intended. But as long as he get rid of these snakes I'll be happy. He'll be able to rebuild it hanging with Floyd and possibly get some PPV slots with him.

Comment

Top Rank SAID they gave him an advance. Now wether they have proof or really did its a different story. Oner and Top Rank fked up. Oner went and did a co promotional deal with Top Rank without Gamboa's consent or agreeing to it. Now is time to let him go buddy. Fk these 2 snakes.

Time to go with Money May baby!

Btw here's a question, if the deal with Top Rank is invalid and Top Rank DID give him $70k doesn't that mean he doesn't have to pay that or the damages for not showing up at the presser back? Cause I mean if you give me some money and there's no agreement between us that's free money that I ain't paying back.

But I really don't believe there was any advance tho. Just some more bs from Top Rank to smear the image.
                  I do believe Top Rank gave Gamboa the advance. By accepting it, Yuri might've screwed himself...or not. If the contract is found invalid, the 70k advance might not legally bind Gamboa. However, I think that regardless of whatever happens with the breach of contract suit, it's not "free money." Yuri will have to give the 70k back. You can't just claim that the money was a gift. It's not as easy as that. It’s common knowledge that Top Rank was trying to work out a deal for a Rios-Gamboa match-up.

In the end (and this is just an opinion, based on incomplete information and limited legal knowledge), I believe Top Rank will win this suit. For one thing, the firm is highly experienced, well funded and very capable. For another thing, they have a solid track record of having their way with their fighters. I hope, for Gamboa’s sake, that he found an unusual misstep in Bob Arum’s game. I just think the odds of that aren’t good.

Comment

So Gamboa's lawyer doesn't know wtf he's talking about by saying they never agreed on anything?
                    There are good lawyers and bad lawyers, incompetent ones and competent ones. A lawyer’s job is to represent their client. Whether the client is right or wrong, the attorney’s job is to win the case for them. We see this all the time in civil and criminal cases. (Do you think Johnny Cochran really thought O.J. was innocent?)

Gamboa’s lawyer might just be taking his best shot in a losing situation. Or he might’ve found a brilliant out for Yuri. We’ll soon see. Either way, you already know what my guess is. lol

Comment

A damn shame that we were deprived of the fight against Rios and that Gamboa's career is on a halt because of that. People forget that he is already 30 (31 in december)...

Comment

Working...
                      X