No announcement yet.

Do you bet on boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    I actually agree, if someone asked me who was going to win then obviously id say Price, but at 13/1 Skelton could just have the guile to drag Price into an ugly maul of a fight and take him out of his comfort zone. Have put a 1 solid squid on Skelton. Big money i know!

Maybe worth a punt. I fancied Price within 6 but the odds seriously suck.
    I may re-check and go with round betting 1st, 2nd & 3rd, maybe the 4th if there is still a small profit to be potentially be made.

I won't be surprised though if Price tries to get some rounds in or Skelton somehow turns it into a dogfight. He is a tough, rugged guy.

On the fence for Cotto vs Trout and the same with the Flintoff fight though I believe that is only a 4 rounder so I might stick a small bet on the draw.

Comment

the last time i bet real money was on Carlos Baldomir when he fought arturo gatti. baldomir was an 8 to1 underdog. it was as if i was the only one in the world who thought baldomir would win. after i won that small fortune i've never bet since and can rightfully say i'm one of the few who is ahead in the game.

oh...and i cleaned up on e points against you simple shallow lackys who picked bute against froch. BWA HAHAHAHAAHAH.
      dorks!

Comment

The idea is to bet big on favorites that you know will win because the odds are low and bet small on a live dog because the pay off is greater. But most of the time you bet on the favorite obviously. The problem with betting on boxing is that the minute you plunk down the big cash on a sure thing Buster Douglas KOs Mike Tyson, Ward destroys Kessler, or judges gift Bradley a win over Manny. You can wipe out a years worth of profits in 1 night betting the sure thing just as easily as you can make up a year's worth of losses by picking the correct 'dog.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
          The idea is to bet big on favorites that you know will win because the odds are low and bet small on a live dog because the pay off is greater. But most of the time you bet on the favorite obviously. The problem with betting on boxing is that the minute you plunk down the big cash on a sure thing Buster Douglas KOs Mike Tyson, Ward destroys Kessler, or judges gift Bradley a win over Manny. You can wipe out a years worth of profits in 1 night betting the sure thing just as easily as you can make up a year's worth of losses by picking the correct 'dog.
          but thats not the real story. if you pick the correct underdog, you will lose most of the time before finding the correct underdog. you will bet 8 times on the underdog and lose 7 times, and the one time you win wont make up for the money you lost. so I cannot support your theory. of course now you can say you always find the "correct" underdog, but I would have a very very very hard time believing you. Just cause I know reality.

Comment

Hypothetically speaking. Picking favorites in boxing is pretty easy so you bet big.

Say You pick the favorite 10 straight times betting $500 each time at -500 odds for each fight. (That's a HUGE FAVORITE). Your take home is $100 per fight. 10 wins at $100 profit per fight; So now you're up $1000 after 10 fights.

Now here comes a live dog (in your opinion ) at +1000. Do you bet your $1000 profit? No. Do you bet $100? No. You make a small $10 wager because if you lose you're still up $990 after 11 fights. However if you win, you're up an additional $100 on top of your $1000 (thanks to a small live dog bet of $10).

When you bet a dog you never plunk down as much cash as you would a favorite because the ROI is much bigger for a much smaller bet.

Of course you will lose more often when picking a dog, but your losses can be mitigated by the much smaller wagers in comparison to the bigger wagers when picking favorites. Which cover most of the time if you know what you are doing.
            Get it?

Comment

Yep, but im selective. I have a couple of online accounts I stick bets on with, nothing more then £50 a fight, so im a low-roller. I don't lose big, but I don't win big, im a steady Eddie and im probably up and not down though my bets.

On NSB im a ballin' billionaire (soon to be trillionaire) and its easy to think im Floyd Mayweather throwing hundred of thousands around.,..unfortunately it's points and not dollars

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
                Hypothetically speaking. Picking favorites in boxing is pretty easy so you bet big.

Say You pick the favorite 10 straight times betting $500 each time at -500 odds for each fight. (That's a HUGE FAVORITE). Your take home is $100 per fight. 10 wins at $100 profit per fight; So now you're up $1000 after 10 fights.

Now here comes a live dog (in your opinion ) at +1000. Do you bet your $1000 profit? No. Do you bet $100? No. You make a small $10 wager because if you lose you're still up $990 after 11 fights. However if you win, you're up an additional $100 on top of your $1000 (thanks to a small live dog bet of $10).

When you bet a dog you never plunk down as much cash as you would a favorite because the ROI is much bigger for a much smaller bet.

Of course you will lose more often when picking a dog, but your losses can be mitigated by the much smaller wagers in comparison to the bigger wagers when picking favorites. Which cover most of the time if you know what you are doing.
                Get it?
                dude you are talking to a guy who knows what betting is about. okay so lets look at your theory. I dont know the american betting odds, but in the european system your odds in your first example would be decimal 1.2 , meaning if you bet 500 dollars on the favorite, you will win 100 dollars. first of all, thats not a big favorite. and if you bet 10 times 500 dollars on this favorite, you will win the bet probably 8 times at best. That is called reality. So 8 times you win 100 dollars which is a total of 800 dollars. So you lose 2 times out of the 10 times, which is 1000 dollars. So do the math. you lost 200 dollars.
                and this is reality. You know I am speaking the truth.
                and when you bet on a Klitschko, the odds are something like 1.05 usually which means you wont make ANY MONEY if you bet on a Klitschko. if you bet 1000 dollars on Klitschko when he is a 1.05 favorite, you will win 50 dollars. and now imagine how often you have to win that bet to make up for the one time you lose. Cause if you bet 10 times on KLitschko like that, you will win 500 dollars. But the 11th time you will lose (cause even a Klitschko loses as the past has shown) the bet and lose all the 1000 dollars. so you lost 500 dollars if you do the math.
                and this is reality.
                Last edited by raskat; 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I want to bet 200-250 on cotto where do i go online or phone to do that? How much do you win with a straight up pick of cotto?

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
                    dude you are talking to a guy who knows what betting is about. okay so lets look at your theory. I dont know the american betting odds, but in the european system your odds in your first example would be decimal 1.2 , meaning if you bet 500 dollars on the favorite, you will win 100 dollars. first of all, thats not a big favorite. and if you bet 10 times 500 dollars on this favorite, you will win the bet probably 8 times at best. That is called reality. So 8 times you win 100 dollars which is a total of 800 dollars. So you lose 2 times out of the 10 times, which is 1000 dollars. So do the math. you lost 200 dollars.
                    and this is reality. You know I am speaking the truth.
                    and when you bet on a Klitschko, the odds are something like 1.05 usually which means you wont make ANY MONEY if you bet on a Klitschko. if you bet 1000 dollars on Klitschko when he is a 1.05 favorite, you will win 50 dollars. and now imagine how often you have to win that bet to make up for the one time you lose. Cause if you bet 10 times on KLitschko like that, you will win 500 dollars. But the 11th time you will lose (cause even a Klitschko loses as the past has shown) the bet and lose all the 1000 dollars. so you lost 500 dollars if you do the math.
                    and this is reality.
                    Dude, I agree with you, 9 out 10 bettors will lose in the end. How else would the betting industry be so HUGE? I'm saying that there are a handful of sharks that will beat the system and the way to do it is by doing your homework, sticking to favorites, but finding those live dogs, and yes..getting lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandiez1 View Post
                      I want to bet 200-250 on cotto where do i go online or phone to do that? How much do you win with a straight up pick of cotto?
                      Right now Vegas has Cotto at -250 meaning if you bet $250 on Cotto and he wins, you'll win $100

Comment

Working...
                      X