Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's going to carry the torch for filipino boxing once Manny Pacquiao has left?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benavidez Mafia View Post
    How many HOF'ers and ATG's has the Philippines produced since the 70's?

The difference between the US, Puerto Rico, and Mexico compare to the Philippines is they can actually produce world class champions to compete against the best. If they were so good.. they would be competing in the US and UK.
    A lot of ATG boxers stay in their home country, e.g Eder Jofre rarely came out of Brazil, Nicolino Locche rarely came out of Argentina, same with many others but they're just the first that came to mind.

Just because someone doesn't fight in the US, UK etc doesn't mean they aren't world class champions or not competing against the best.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      A lot of ATG boxers stay in their home country, e.g Eder Jofre rarely came out of Brazil, Nicolino Locche rarely came out of Argentina, same with many others but they're just the first that came to mind.

Just because someone doesn't fight in the US, UK etc doesn't mean they aren't world class champions or not competing against the best.
      If I'm living in a 3rd world country and my family is poor... you better believe I'm fighting in the US where I can make my biggest payday.

Comment

The difference between the US, Puerto Rico, and Mexico compare to the Philippines is they can actually produce world class champions to compete against the best. If they were so good.. they would be competing in the US and UK.
        Honestly I'm not gonna try to rip you on this, because I usually do when people try to act like other countries or groups of people are beneath others. With that said, a nation or a culture of people lack of success in certain sports almost always boils down to that sport not being considered popular. I have talked to several Filipinos and I have heard interviews from guys like Mark Melligen, Nonito Donaire, Gerry Penalosa and others and they have all said that Boxing isn't as popular in the Philippines as compared to other places. They have even stated that they weren't respected at all until Manny became popular. So now that a national interest in the sport of boxing has happened due to Manny, expect a lot of young Filipinos getting into boxing.

Comment

Had Pacquiao and Pac's promoter not beg to be adopted by Murad and if Murad did not insist that Roach take him in......we would not have seen Pacquiao. Obvioulsy a great talent would have gone to waste. One thing The Philippines don't have is a great trainer. How Manny Pacquiaos do you think was declined by a U.S. Promoter or trainer since the 1920's? Asian fighters don't bring money as they say........well at least now they're starting to realize that there are a lot of Filipinos and Filipino-Americans who will bring money. Yeah.......it's late but better than never.

Comment

There have been great Filipino fighters for close to a hundred years. They can not all be as talented as pancho Villa and Manny Pacquiao.

Comment

Yeah, but how many of those guys are going to be PPV stars and HOF'ers?
              Who knows? Did anyone think Manny or Floyd would be the next De La Hoya's 5-10 years ago? Once, not to long ago, Floyd couldn't sell a PPV to save his life, he was piggybacking off Arturo Gatti. Now he's the biggest PPV star in boxing history.

Someone, maybe multiple someones, will arise.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post

Floyd Mayweather has never fought outside the Unite States.

Comment

Nonito Donaire will carry the torch. No style seems to threaten him. Darchinyan is a great puncher and he got sparked in 5. Marquez is also a very slick boxer with sneaky power and he got sparked in four! I really thought Marquez was going to give him hell and boy was I wrong. If Donaire gets by Montiel, my point will be proven. And I believe he will. He can be outboxed, and Nonito certainly can take a punch. I hope Vazquez Jr stays away from him for now. I wanna see both fighters progress, so I don't wanna see them fight just yet. Maybe in a few years though.

Comment

Donaire!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X