Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Any1 Think Roy Jones In His Prime Was A More Natrually Gifted Fighter Than Ray

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray Robinson has the better resume hands down. Roy was blessed with more talent.. I am a fan or SRR but i think people tend to overrate his skills as a boxer and if he and Roy ever met in the ring I think Roy would beat SRR

Comment

Originally posted by C.Y. View Post
      Ray Robinson has the better resume hands down. Roy was blessed with more talent.. I am a fan or SRR but i think people tend to overrate his skills as a boxer and if he and Roy ever met in the ring I think Roy would beat SRR
      A surprising moment of honesty coming from a Gay fan. If more were like this it would end up in a nuclear holocaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
        THE SCHOLAR CONSIDERS:
        An Interview With Boxing Historian Herbert G. Goldman
        By Katherine Dunn

WHY ROY JONES, JR?

KD -- Some of the questions put forward by the CBZ scholars come to mind at this point.They’ve sent them to me by e-mail and I’ve printed them out and have them here. May I run a few by you?

HG -- Well, I’ll see what I can do, sure.

KD -- A couple of years ago you published your own greatest pound-for-pound list in International Boxing digest. You had Roy Jones Jr. at the top of your list. You’ve received much criticism from historians and others—typically older folks—What about Jones’ abilities and accomplishments prompted you to make such a bold statement? And how do you compare greatness in boxers? And would you still put Jones up at the top?

HG -- OK. My ranking of Jones in such a dramatic fashion, had to do not with his accomplishments but simply with his skills. He has more and greater skills than any fighter I’ve ever seen in my life. The way he can hook and go immediately to a straight punch, the way he can fire shots from all angles, his domination of every opponent he faces. I’ve never seen a comparable fighter in my life. I went out on a limb in making that pronouncement at that time. I don’t think I was that overboard. Now it’s true that Mr. Jones’ accomplishments in terms of being in great fights, in terms of being a super-star of his period do not begin to equal his skills. That’s the down side. Of course to make great fights it takes two to tango and Mr. Jones is so far above his competition that there are no great fights out there for him, certainly within his own weight classes. Now in terms of looking at the careers of certain fighters, certainly there are a number of men who outshone him in that respect. But I still maintain that Mr. Jones is the most skilfull, is the most over-powering man, pound-for-pound, in the history of boxing. I don’t think even Sugar Ray Robinson was as dominant over his opposition as Roy Jones has been. That takes nothing away from Sugar Ray. But I have never seen a phenomenon like Roy Jones. Of course Roy Jones knows it, too. He knows what he wants, what he doesn’t want. He’s a star. He won’t fight here. He will fight only here. He’s his own promoter, more or less. So he’s certainly not everyones’ ideal of what a fighter should be. But in terms of skills I think he’s the greatest.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/w42x-kd.htm

I could not agree more. One thing to think about, roy and Mayweather, where fighters that from the time they were very very little where tought boxing, thus there instinct, and reflexes combined with natural athleticm, are simply so much faster and instinctive than those fighters like Robinson and Leonard, who are great in their own respects but started at like 10-12....

They say you should start a kid around 8, due to attention span,,,however Roy Sr and Mayweather SR starteed their kids earlier and iin dominating fashion..which speaks to the challenges they have with their kids now. However, they forced boxing upon them (well sr says that roy wanted it) and overcame the attention span issue. Thus they have kids that grew up to have reflexes that are simply unmatched....

Now when it comes to all around fighter, I have to go with robinson. As if you look at simply how devestaing he could rip off shots, take shots, go to war.. etc. That is simply born in him,, Ray leonard was a warrior that Mayweather nor Jones could be, and Ray had reflexes and instincts that was simply amazing look at him in the Olympics.. Roy nor mayweather had that type of punching speed as Ray did in the Olympics.

Roy simply until he damaged his body and got old possessed skills that no not mayweather, leoanrd, Robinon non of them had. That does mean he is better, that simply means he was able to do things that Leonard himself said was amazing and that he and the other of the super 4 were glad they did not have to face him.

Comment

Suprised at how many people think Jones would beat Robinson. Here's something to consider. I cannot think of a single fight, with the possible exception of Montell Griffin I, where Roy Jones made positive adjustment during the course of the fight. Robinson was constantly making positive adjustments, and his boxing IQ was elevated above virtually every fighter ever. Robinson fought nearly 200 fights into his 40s, and was never really knocked out. Robinson had every punch, from every angle, and could knock an opponent out from anywhere. Robinson would be much more complex a riddle for Jones to solve than Jones for Robinson, and considering Jones' weak opposition at EVERY weight (let's stop pretending that Jones only took low risk opponents eclusively when he got to 175), where is the example that Jones would even be competative with a fighter with the skill set and mentality that Robinson had?

Comment

Roy Jones opposition wasn't that weak,there were fights that should have been made at 160,168 and 175 but the fighters he fought weren't bums by any means.I thought he did well to adjust in the first fight with Tarver where he lost the first two rounds very convincingly

Comment

Working...
            X