No announcement yet.

My 3 keys for Chavez vs Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
    I'm not sure if Sergio's in that much of a safety zone, since he's been known and not too far removed from weird stuff happening during and after his fights.

Between him and Julio, Jr. is the bigger name and there are big plans for him in the future, unlike Martinez who is a dangerous older fighter who cant seem to get big fights (excluding this one).

Sergio has been hit with 8-counts for bogus knockdowns in the first Williams fight, the Pavlik fight, Macklin fight, and not to mention those circus stunts in the Cintron fight. Let's not forget about some of the wild decisions that he's been on the short end of.

With that said, Julio may get credit for stalking this dude, and as its been mentioned, Sergio does take those breaks during fights. Not trying to argue your point down, or anything, but this could be another decision that Sergio will fall victim to, especially when it comes to whose the bigger name between him and Julio.
    It's all opinion at this stage and I think that you could be right. I just hope they judge it the way it should be judged and we see a good fight.

Jr better come in great shape though, I know this.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Chavez Jr doesn't stand a chance. He's not even as good as Pavlik, who managed to have a good mid-round rally against Martinez. He's gonna get cut up, he will be there to get hit all night and Sergio won't miss. I'm gonna love this fight.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it's actually Chavez Jr who might get rounds based on his name, undefeated record, and Bob Arum. Chavez Jr is actually the bigger name, not Martinez.
      I agree totally. Chavez is definitely the bigger name of the two it's not even close. The cutting thing is what I feel a lot of posters/fans are failing to think about or consider. Take a look at Sergio's last 5 or 6 fights, he has cut every single opponent he has faced with the exception of Cintron and he hit Cintron so hard that he thought the punch was a headbutt....his face was all swollen up at the end of that match.

Bunema...cut, Williams...cut, Pavlik....cut like a stuck pig, Dzinzuruk....cut, Barker...cut under the eye and a busted eardrum, Macklin.....cut several places. The guy has been fighting more technical boxers who are heavily defensively minded as well.

Chavez and his team keep saying Martinez won't be able to hurt Jr and that he has a good chin. I keep remembering instances in Chavez jr fights where he got caught flush tons of times and tried to dance it off or joke about it or whatever. The guy gets hit clean by much lesser boxers than Sergio.

I can't help but feel that Sergio will wind up cutting Chavez early on in this fight with a clean, flush counter punch. What is going to happen once that cut becomes 2 or 3 cuts and all that blood is leaking into his eyesight? If he can't see Sergio's punches coming, he is going to get swarmed by punches in bunches and turned into a human punching bag. The chin may actually hold up but that face is going to give out on him....he is too offensive and relies on his size too much.

Also,if Chavez is trying to leave Arum....he should not really be counting on a sound decision either, Arum won't let him leave with that record intact.....believe that.
      Last edited by mathed; 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        Since this is a championship unification match, I can only see it taking place in a normal-sized ring and not that match-box that Chavez/Lee took place in.
        Let's hope so. Titles have lost their sense of pride as of late, let's just hope that that isn't the case here.

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        It's all opinion at this stage and I think that you could be right. I just hope they judge it the way it should be judged and we see a good fight.

Jr better come in great shape though, I know this.
        You and me both. Jr. shold look like a skeleton on the scales, and blow back up in 36 hrs, the usual. I'll be there live and I'll have it ordered and recorded here at home. No DVR (RW and FFW) for me until I get back from Vegas, so I'll try to make a decent assessment from where Im sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
          Tell me something. What makes you think JCCJ will come in weight?
          What if he pulls a Broner?
          when did jcc jr. miss weight?

Comment

Originally posted by V.WEBB View Post
            Dude looked sick at the weigh in against Lee.

and looked good fight night.

Comment

Working...
            X