No announcement yet.

Does Boxing Encourage Anorexia?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Boxing Encourage Anorexia?

While I was taking a dump this morning a thought came to me. Many groups have come together to fight the perceived danger of anorexia in modeling and acting. We are told to feel sorry for poor women who are paid millions of dollars to be skinny, and we are told that society must change otherwise teenage girls across the country will get anorexia (despite increasing obesity among the young...).

Well I thought that the same could be said about boxing for boys. Boxing encourages unhealthy eating habits. Fighters drain massive amounts of weight, and fighters at lower weight classes are at 'unhealthy' BMI levels. Boxers are paid, like models, to drain weight. And even worse, they fight at those drained weights. I worry that teenage boys could be influenced by this. So why has nobody come out against anorexia in boxing?

I think it is time, as a boxing community, that we addressed this serious issue. Who is with me?

Originally posted by Publius View Post
    While I was taking a dump this morning a thought came to me. Many groups have come together to fight the perceived danger of anorexia in modeling and acting. We are told to feel sorry for poor women who are paid millions of dollars to be skinny, and we are told that society must change otherwise teenage girls across the country will get anorexia (despite increasing obesity among the young...).

Well I thought that the same could be said about boxing for boys. Boxing encourages unhealthy eating habits. Fighters drain massive amounts of weight, and fighters at lower weight classes are at 'unhealthy' BMI levels. Boxers are paid, like models, to drain weight. And even worse, they fight at those drained weights. I worry that teenage boys could be influenced by this. So why has nobody come out against anorexia in boxing?

I think it is time, as a boxing community, that we addressed this serious issue. Who is with me?
    When 80% of the people paying for boxing fights has the intelligence of:

And proud of it, **** stuff happens in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
      When 80% of the people paying for boxing fights has the intelligence of:

And proud of it, **** stuff happens in boxing.
      Something needs to be done. I think we should get rid of weight classes, because it discriminates against fat people. Just like how you can have fat ass models now, we should have fat as boxers.

Butter bean should be allowed to fight at lightweight if he identifies as a lightweight. It's only fair.

Comment

I realize this is probably a troll thread, but it's the opposite really...try having the energy to train on a **** diet. Cutting weight doesn't have much to do with overall diet.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
          I realize this is probably a troll thread, but it's the opposite really...try having the energy to train on a **** diet. Cutting weight doesn't have much to do with overall diet.
          The idea that you "have" to cut weight is exactly what's wrong with boxing.

Boxing at any size.

Comment

The idea that you "have" to cut weight is exactly what's wrong with boxing.

Boxing at any size.
            I don't disagree, nobody has to cut dangerous amounts of weight tho, it's a choice and not everyone does. Boxing isn't even the worst sport for weight cutting...wrestling is horrible, and kids start learning it in junior high.

Comment

kids do the same chit for wrestling, which is probably more common than boxing.

I dont think it encourages anorexia at all.... anorexia is a body image issue.

does anyone even know of any wrestlers, boxers or mma fighters that are anorexic? both amateur or pro? I havent really seen any

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post

does anyone even know of any wrestlers, boxers or mma fighters that are anorexic? both amateur or pro? I havent really seen any
                Why are you trying to justify anorexia?

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post

Please stop encouraging anorexia . . .

Comment

James Toney.

Comment

Working...
                    X