Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter -- Is He A Top 10 World-Class Trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing fans are so fickle. I remember when rios lost to alvarado and nonito lost to rigondeaux and people were saying robert garcia sucks as a trainer. Hunter is a very good trainer. Pedro diaz is my favorite trainer though! Very underrated IMO.

Comment

For pro level hunter is a joke he already proved that. Ward is a smart guy with a high ring iq so I don't think it would have matter who trained him

Hunter is good for the amature game, with his bs corner advice he would benifit these up and coming kids perfect.

Comment

Like most trainers, he's suited to a certain style of fighter or just one fighter full stop.

Comment

Hunter is a proven "Long Term" trainer with a record of taking a novice to the second best boxer on the planet. That is a huge achievement regardless of Ward's obvious intelligence and talent.
          He comes over as a long term plan guy rather than a quick fix merchant but a lot of people he is taking on are well established pros with heavily ingrained habits. In their case getting the best out of what they have may be more profitable than teaching old dogs new tricks. A lot of the fighters on his books have had their careers derailed looking to get back on track. Doing this is a tough ask partly because they are at the stages in their careers where they don't have huge amounts of time and will be thrown in with tough opponents. Angulo is an example, he did well against Lara although he lost. Hunter did a good job there and it landed him a good payday against Canelo who he was never going to beat regardless of who was training him. So despite 2 loses in real terms that was success as far as Angulo is concerned.
          It is difficult to look good as a trainer when your fighters are overmatched and people are just looking at the Ls and Ws.
          Right now Hunter is on a bad run but they say class is perminant and form tempory.The work with Ward shows that with a good student and a lot of time he can get great results. That shows me he is class long term but I have not seen any rapid turnaround work which would indicate he is a magic Mr quick Mr Fix it but do those people really exist anyway?

Comment

Ehh he's decent, he deff knows how to motivate.

Comment

I wouldn't put him on top 10 that's for sure. Ward is the only fighter in his stable that is consistent because of his amateur back ground. Smart and quick on his feet with already intact defense. Virgil's other fighter was either hard headed or it's just Virgil. I didn't see any improvement on his other fighters, they were hesitant most of the time. It's like his fighters were confuse on what would they do once they start getting hit. Meaning they hesitant if they will be more defensive or offensive minded against their respective opponents. Watch the Mayfield,Amir and Berto's fight and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

If Hunter is a top 10 trainer, who are the 9 trainers who rank over him?

Who would be a good fit for Khan? Sugar Hill?

Comment

The main reason anyone speaks of Virgil Hunter is because his name is linked to Andre Ward. Even though Ward was pretty much developed & a finished product when Hunter joined Team Ward.

Comment

Working...
                  X