No announcement yet.

Military Boxing Techniques

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Boxing Techniques

I've been curious as to what kind of training the boxers in the military do. Is it taken seriously or is it like a little "club"? I know Sammy Vasquez, Rocky Marciano, and Ken Norton all built there skills and foundation in the military boxing program. I saw online that you have to be a top 5 golden gloves amateur champion just to join the team. I have been interested in joining the army and this may be even more of an incentive. What experience do you guys have with this?

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
    I've been curious as to what kind of training the boxers in the military do. Is it taken seriously or is it like a little "club"? I know Sammy Vasquez, Rocky Marciano, and Ken Norton all built there skills and foundation in the military boxing program. I saw online that you have to be a top 5 golden gloves amateur champion just to join the team. I have been interested in joining the army and this may be even more of an incentive. What experience do you guys have with this?
    There is little to no military boxing anymore, at least in a widespread manner.

I've been in the Army for 5 years now. My initial intention was to box in the military (just like everyone's grandfather), come to find out the requirements are fairly unrealistic and exclusive.

Guys like Derrae Crane and Jamel Herring, who are/were in service, were already established prior. One member on the US Olympic team is reserved for a military member if I remember correctly. It's actually their job.

Plus, it's fairly unreliable. A friend of mine, Veshawn Owens, has been one of the top amateurs for a few years now. I don't know the exact details, but he had completed basic training then was completely forgotten about by the Army and they never took him up. Was a waste of a couple of the hardest months someone can endure just for them to leave his position ambiguous, Fastforward a few years later, still nothing has become of it.

But there are posts where they have pretty dedicated boxing programs (not many posts). The problem is a lot of active duty members don't remain at an assignment for more than 2 years at a time, plus the schedules can be hectic. I'd say about 90% of them never make it to being open-class, or just 5 fights for that matter.

I know Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio (which was where I was stationed) had a dedicated amateur program catered for the Air Force, although all branches could go and get work as well. They worked closely with Jesse Leija.

Comment

I want to see more boxers from the military in boxing.

Comment

Wasn't Steve Cunningham in the Navy?

Comment

ray mercer and Anthony hembrook I believe were military..............

Comment

Working...
          X