No announcement yet.

Question about weigh-ins and making weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    For non title fights they they can weigh in up to 1lb above the limit for that division, and no more, unless the contract states otherwise.

For title fights there is no leeway. Even 1oz over and they have 2 hrs to lose it or face a penalty.
    Has this always been the case? The 1lb over in non title fights thing that is. In the past I was under the impression that you ALWAYS had to make weight. Couldn't be over whether it was a title fight or non title. The 1 lb rule thing reminds me of a UFC rule. until recent PBC fights (broner molina) I had no idea about the 1 lb over thing for boxing. Obviously if it's agreed upon in the contract it's fine but I remember guys always trying to make weight being ounces over. Maybe it was something I didn't pay attention to much in the past???

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      Thanks for all the helpful responses.

This is the core part of my question. If 160 or 175 or whatever is the upper limit, then a fighter cannot come in at anything over that weight? A gram? An ounce? 1/2 ounce? It seems very exact. Is there any acceptable margin over the upper limit?
      You know how a scale works right?

The standard scale used in weigh ins doesn't measure micrograms.

It does measure ounces.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        For non title fights they they can weigh in up to 1lb above the limit for that division, and no more, unless the contract states otherwise.

For title fights there is no leeway. Even 1oz over and they have 2 hrs to lose it or face a penalty.
        I don't know that this is true. I've seen that on The Ultimate Fighter when I use to watch that stupid show, but other than that, I never see it. You can check fighter's weigh ins on boxrec. In significant fights, fighters do not weigh over the limit, title or no title. (By significant, I mean basically anything above C league or D league).

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Work. View Post
          I know the rules , its just dumb to make the limit so strict forcing fighters to drain themselves sometimes to cut 2 pounds. Why not just make the limit 3 or 4 pounds over , its would still be not that big of a difference

this is literally the dumbest shlt i've heard all year

Comment

The new UFC/PBC era of boxing is allowing 1lb over the weight limit for non-title fights.

Comment

Working...
            X