No announcement yet.

Ridiculous myths about US (or other places') history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridiculous myths about US (or other places') history

We all know that there are many of them.

But here is one that always stuck out for me.

In primary and secondary schools, they would always say that in the old days of America, people would drink beer or whiskey, because the water was no good.

Ridiculous in too many ways to name.

Why would the water have been bad? Water is water. If it was industrial waste, making beer or whiskey wouldn't help. I'm not sure whether it would help with parasites either, although it might. But, humans have been drinking, you know, water, since the beginning of human time. The entire pretense is ridiculous. Are you telling me they didn't have wells, they just had liquor stores?

Any more ridiculous myths?
    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM.

Tower 7's collapse being a controlled demolition.

Comment

The majority of US's history is a myth.

Comment

Columbus Day is a myth. He was a murderous, rapist, killer. They don't teach you that in history books.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigg Happpy! View Post
          Columbus Day is a myth. He was a murderous, rapist, killer. They don't teach you that in history books.

Comment

Here is Chess Champion Bobby Fisher's view of American history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyT3p22RZf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWfehKE0iI

Comment

canada's land is too cold to be habitable. lol it's usually americans who think that though.

Comment

I was searching for the version Wyclef Jean did on Dave Chapelle's show, but it was much better. It included lines like "Instead of spending billions on the war, we could use some of that money, in the ghetto. I know folks so poor, when it rains that's when they shower, screaming fight the power."

"Tell the children the truth, the truth. Christopher Columbus didn't discover America. Tell them the truth, the truth. Tell them about Martin Luther King." Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  We all know that there are many of them.

But here is one that always stuck out for me.

In primary and secondary schools, they would always say that in the old days of America, people would drink beer or whiskey, because the water was no good.

Ridiculous in too many ways to name.

Why would the water have been bad? Water is water. If it was industrial waste, making beer or whiskey wouldn't help. I'm not sure whether it would help with parasites either, although it might. But, humans have been drinking, you know, water, since the beginning of human time. The entire pretense is ridiculous. Are you telling me they didn't have wells, they just had liquor stores?

Any more ridiculous myths?
                  i was just reading a a bit about jack johnson v jim jeffries. it said that jim's corner 'doused him with champagne between rounds' to refresh him.

that sounds like a pretty decent myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                    canada's land is too cold to be habitable. lol it's usually americans who think that though.
                    I heard living in Canada is like being trapped inside this thing for 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X