Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 HW RJJ v David Haye - Who wins and how?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stand Haye, he's a little *****, but Roy Jones is no use to anyone these days.

A prime Roy Jones is a different story.

Comment

Haye obviously has that punchers chance but RJJ in 03 was a beast and could have won by UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
        Haye obviously has that punchers chance but RJJ in 03 was a beast and could have won by UD.
        Thanks for actually reading the post/title!! We are NOT talking about PRIME ROY, simply the one that fought the 1 heavyweight bout v Ruiz in 2003!! Anyhow, I agree with this, Haye would have a chance for sure due to his power but I could see RJJ getting that decision win, as he still had a good skill level and speed at the time and could probably outwork Haye, who would probably be a live dog but could get frustrated by Roy. However, it's a good matchup because it would likely guarantee the excitement or style of a fight between smaller men at a lower weight class, but at that pinnacle of heavyweight championship boxing.

Comment

Haye is one of the hardest hitting cruiserweights of all time.

RJJ is one of the most athletic super middleweights/ light heavyweights of all time.

Haye is more comfortable at HW than Roy. MUCH more comfortable.

The problem for Roy is that he will pose no threat to Haye. But Haye is a serious threat to Roy. Haye can take Roy's punches and stalk him all night. Roy has to be constantly moving, and he can.. but Haye can put out his lights with ONE punch. Roy never fought anyone with that power, and it's hard to believe he could evade Haye for 12 rounds.

Haye would need a few rounds to warm up. Then he would start landing more and having more success trapping Roy in the corner. Haye by KO in the mid rounds.

Comment

is this a joke?

Comment

david too big for roy, easy ko.

Comment

Roy Jones would last around 3 rounds max with Haye

The fight wouldnt even be fair, total mismatch

Roy has no size advantage, no power to hurt Haye

Haye is fast and quick enough to not allow Roy to escape, 12 rounds running away from a HW, no chance

Roy Jones would struggle with most heavies, i'd put money on Anthony Joshua knocking out Roy and he's only had 3 professional fights

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                  Roy Jones would last around 3 rounds max with Haye

The fight wouldnt even be fair, total mismatch

Roy has no size advantage, no power to hurt Haye

Haye is fast and quick enough to not allow Roy to escape, 12 rounds running away from a HW, no chance

Roy Jones would struggle with most heavies, i'd put money on Anthony Joshua knocking out Roy and he's only had 3 professional fights
                  Roy now, yes. In 2003, he was still relevant and let's not forget, he was billed to fight Lennox Lewis! Much bigger, more powerful and generally better than Haye. Look, no one is saying that Roy is going to KO Haye, HOWEVER - back then he still had skills and speed, it is not inconceivable that he could have won a UD, especially considering Haye barely beat Valuev on points...and Haye took 9 rounds to beat a shot Ruiz, while RJJ beat Ruiz 6 years earlier with a dominant points victory.

Of course, Roy should and would struggle v most heavies as he is generally small, which is why he only had the 1 heavyweight fight, but he looked pretty good in that one, and Haye, being a small and not natural heavy himself, means this COULD be an interesting hypothetical fantasy matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
                    Roy now, yes. In 2003, he was still relevant and let's not forget, he was billed to fight Lennox Lewis! Much bigger, more powerful and generally better than Haye. Look, no one is saying that Roy is going to KO Haye, HOWEVER - back then he still had skills and speed, it is not inconceivable that he could have won a UD, especially considering Haye barely beat Valuev on points...and Haye took 9 rounds to beat a shot Ruiz, while RJJ beat Ruiz 6 years earlier with a dominant points victory.

Of course, Roy should and would struggle v most heavies as he is generally small, which is why he only had the 1 heavyweight fight, but he looked pretty good in that one, and Haye, being a small and not natural heavy himself, means this COULD be an interesting hypothetical fantasy matchup.
                    Lennox Lewis would have knocked Roy Jones the **** out in round 1 via uppercut

Prime Jones or Old Jones, he stands zero chance against Haye.

Haye floored Ruiz and beat him to a pulp, Roy didnt do half the damage Haye did.

Like you said Roy only had one fight at heavie, which alone tells me he wasnt cut out for it. These guys hit hard, no matter how much skill you have, how fast you can run, everyone gets caught. Heavies adsorb some serious punishment.

Comment

Are we going by octagon theories now?

All right.

Tarver and Johnson both knocked RJJ out with one shot at LHW. Clean.

Now granted, this was after Jones' venture to HW.

But Roy wasn't prime when he fought Ruiz at HW anyways, so that argument goes flying out the window.

I don't see the fight ending in any other way then Roy getting stopped.

That's my two pennies.
                      Last edited by Sweet Pea 50; 01-03-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X