No announcement yet.

Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
    You can't really compare conversation here to that of NSB . . . two completely different animals.

But I hear ya . . .
    True. As far as cuauh, I know he knows his ****, I know he knows more than me.

With any flaws that golovkin may have, I'm not sure who can beat him. Martinez is probably slick/skilled enough, but I have serious doubts if he can take golovkins power, and if his knee would hold up for 12 rounds of constant movement.

Chavez is probably big and strong enough to compete, but I doubt his mental strength/discipline.

Canelo, win or lose against mayweather, is the fight I'd love to see be made next.

Comment

I'm very fond of GGG, he is a lot of fun to watch. I did notice, at least against macklin, that his footwork is terrible. I don't know if this was just because he wasn't threatened at all in that fight, or if this is just way he fights. I think against a slicker fighter, he may have some trouble cutting off the ring.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this, and what your opinion is?
      It's not terrible, it's the opposite in fact. just because a guy isn't dancing around the place doesn't mean he has bad footwork. he's excellent at closing the distance, cutting off the ring and positioning himself to be able to get max power into his shots

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
        I agree that his defense has been good enough for what he does/ and his matchups,but a lot of people are acting like he's Pernell Whitaker. Its good, but not great. There are flaws, the difference is his power. Nobody wants to exchange, nobody wants to commit. Just surviving is on their mind.

And yeah, it was a blanket statement not necessarily directed at you, but most certainly directed at nsb. Not saying you're wrong, just in my eyes there's still a question mark there.

I'd like to see him in with somebody who can take a shot, and isn't afraid to exchange. Someone who isnt afraid to trade hooks, etc. Its not like his chin is covered at all times....
        Well, I don't think he's Pernell Whitaker and haven't heard that comparison just yet, but the kid is well schooled. Like I said, he had almost 400 amateur fights and you can tell is a gifted fighter. I also dont' think that people are afraid to exchange with him, that is until they feel the power. Rosado really stuck in there and gave him a tough fight, he just couldn't deal with the power of GGG.

With any flaws that golovkin may have, I'm not sure who can beat him. Martinez is probably slick/skilled enough, but I have serious doubts if he can take golovkins power, and if his knee would hold up for 12 rounds of constant movement.

Chavez is probably big and strong enough to compete, but I doubt his mental strength/discipline.

Canelo, win or lose against mayweather, is the fight I'd love to see be made next.
        I just want people to know that yes, I have a lot of experience but that doesn't mean my opinion is any more valid than yours. You made a great point about his defense, because honestly we haven't seen it yet.

His defense might be his offence, and maybe when someone decides to fight back, things will change. I don't want to be like Barry Robinson, some clown that argues with anyone who has a difference of opinion than him, you don't have to be a former pro or trainer to understand boxing enough to discuss it.

I just think "horrible" was too strong a word for his footwork, his footwork is good for what he does and Abel Sanchez is a hell of a trainer. He has him prepared to pressure intelligently and adapted to the pro style very well.

Comment

Kind of comical the comments about footwork on here when it comes to fighters who "step" compared to boxers who "move"! Being up on your toes and trying to be a step ahead is a good philosophy when your not willing to engage! Mr. GGG is not that person, he moves to try to step into position to punch so theres a slight bit of awkward , stiffness to his gate! He also maintains a slight bend in the waist that will asd to this odd manner of stepping! The bottom line is the end results is that opponents are not in the ring for the length of their fights!
          His upper body movement is actually good, he looks to avoid punches by narrow moves so he's still in position to counter quickly that a sign of a fighter who is schooled and practices thoughs techniques so his methods are consistant.
          He remoinds me of a young Oscar in his body lean and use of the jab! The jab looks to be much longer & strong than first thought of! His placement of body punchres is simular to Oscar with the exception of the results. (GGG being heavier handed)
          I like the guy and his style, by the way everyones plan is to back the other guy! Even Bernard & Floyd after 9 rounds would like to back up their opponents!! Question with them is they have to feel safe doing it!
          GGG is the best live draw out there right now to me!!! He is an easy sell to the public because he brings the excitement that only a puncher brings!
          He just happens to punch out of a boxer mold instead of a sluggers style!
          Well schooled, trains hard, excellant team, no wear and tear on him!
          Simply put the Best Middleweight in the World! He would track Sergio down and what you saw happen to Mack would happen to Sergio. It would take a few more rounds but Sergio has never proven he's capable of handling solid shots. He's been stopped and he's been down and GGG is a far better puncher than anyone he's felt! ...and a better boxer in general! He has the jab and the steps to find Sergio!
          This forum always has some topic on "over hyped" and to me thats Sergio! He can move well and his style looks fluid so no one thinks he's awkward but he is! He doesn't bring power and the best talent he's fought did beat him and after beating Paul he hasn't exactly challenged himself! He looked terrible his last time out and Junior knocked him down and almost out and Junior IS the biggest hype job ever!
          I can see Ward defeating GGG in a really good fight but I think GGG can hang in and win against Andre also! Thats his best challenge its to bad its a class up but the junior & super classes don't mean much, 10 pound difference doesn't win against superior skills and power! Hope to see it down the road!
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
            You said his footwork is terrible, then in the next sentence you said...

"I will say he stays in position to punch most of the time..."

Well sir, that is the definition of good footwork.

The entire objective of footwork is to enable the fighter to always be in position to punch and/or defend while maintaining proper stance and balance. Period.

Some fighters are much LIGHTER on their feet than others and some people perceive this as having superior footwork. Not necessarily. Guys like GGG and Broner are all about walking down guys and doing damage...so they tend to appear "heavy footed" because power comes from having your foot planted. But that footwork enables them to meet their objective. Their style doesn't warrant them having footwork like a Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather...but it doesn't make their footwork less than those guys.
            Watch him when he moves to the right, he's off balanced, feet are crossed, and he's open to be hit and not counter. This is also the opportunity for a his opponent to get off the ropes and into the center of the ring.
            Last edited by DIB42; 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Perhaps I was too harsh in saying terrible . . . I tend to over exaggerate sometimes when I see a flaw in a guy I really like...

Comment

Cuauh is one of the many people on here that know more than I do, I respect his opinion... I don't know who can take Golovkins power at middleweight right now, and Martinez is on the decline, but stylistically I think Martinez can exploit the few flaws in GGG and pull off a win, if he's not too worn...

Ray mentioned Ward, I think Ward beats GGG... Alvarez win or lose against mayweather would be a fun match, but Alvarez got rocked by Alfonzo Gomez, so I don't think he can hang with GGG.

Comment

I think Canelo is too small for GGG. I think Ward vs GGG is the best fight for him and Martinez, well which Martinez shows up.

Is he done? He is getting old, don't know if that hand and knee can hold up.

Comment

Watch him when he moves to the right, he's off balanced, feet are crossed, and he's open to be hit and not counter. This is also the opportunity for a his opponent to get off the ropes and into the center of the ring.
                    My guess is when you saw these flaws, it was when he was moving forward with his opponent well out of range...translation, it doesn't matter. As he gets closer, it tightens up. As he gets closer, he bends his knees a little more, begins to make subtle upper body movements to position himself to slip or block jabs, then step in quickly to do damage. Even Floyd when walking forward brings his feet together. Who cares when your opponent is too far away to do anything anyways?

I see no real issues with his footwork. I want to see him against some better guys though. Would love to see him fight Kessler or Froch. He'll destroy them BTW.

Comment

I noticed the foot crossing thing too in the Macklin fight. That's a definite flaw imo and can easily get you thrown off balance and knocked down if you're caught with a good one in that moment.

Tbh though I don't think it will be a big problem. Dude has been fighting for so long that I think if it has given him trouble before it would have already been taken care of and straightened out

Comment

Working...
                      X