Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Examples: Smaller fighter winning against tall fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples: Smaller fighter winning against tall fighter?

In my gym is one guy, who is taller than me and knows how to use his height and reach and has good enough lateral movement to avoid getting cornered on the ropes.

I need some examples of smaller boxers winning against taller boxers.
    The taller boxer of course has to know how to fight tall (No Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito).

I have success when I am not the one initiating the offense and let him come in, so I have the opportunity to counter him, but I really like to see how a pressure boxer handles a good (!) taller boxer.

His style is similar to Winky Wrights style.

Frazier and early Tyson are sterling examples of short fighters to watch.

Comment

Manny versus-Oscar,Margarito,Algeri

Floyd-Corrales

Dempsy-Williard

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
        In my gym is one guy, who is taller than me and knows how to use his height and reach and has good enough lateral movement to avoid getting cornered on the ropes.

I need some examples of smaller boxers winning against taller boxers.
        The taller boxer of course has to know how to fight tall (No Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito).

I have success when I am not the one initiating the offense and let him come in, so I have the opportunity to counter him, but I really like to see how a pressure boxer handles a good (!) taller boxer.

His style is similar to Winky Wrights style.
        It really depends on how much of a reach advantage and what punches he likes to use. I've found countering the jab is the best way to get inside vs the 1-2 move type guys. One of my favs is slip outside the jab while stepping in with yours at the same time. It works best when you feel like the guy is gonna follow his jab with a straight right...you can usually get a nice right to the body or head in before he moves and some follow up shots if he's not a good back pedaler.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3z0aY1rWAo

Tyson vs. Savarese

Comment

Most recent i can think of: Khurtsidze (5'4) W10TKO vs Douglas (6'0)

Comment

Like this?

Comment

Leonard/hagler vs hearns
                Mayweather vs Corrales
                Whitaker vs De la hoya
                Pac vs Algieri
                Toney vs jirov
                Martinez vs pavlik
                Glenn Johnson vs allan green/antonio tarver
                Cotto vs martinez

Comment