Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what i/you thought Paul Williams could've been.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
    Because magically his workrate will change?

??
    I'd be willing to put Saul Alvarez in there to put his lights out again..

and about his work rate, he was able to rely on it for so much, who has he really beaten?

I give him credit for outworking the slow starting Margarito, but Margarito is a very beatable guy, as long as you keep a similar or higher work rate than him, that's how Mosley, Pacquiao, and Williams beat him.

but realistically he lost against Martinez both times in MOST people's opinion, and if you wanna give him the first fight, fine, he "won" officially, but the 2nd time Martinez didn't leave it to the judges.

beyond that he really hasn't beaten anyone worth mentioning, his best attribute was his willingness to fight in 3 weight classes, but it ended when he begged for a catch weight and got put to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojita View Post
      Reasonn I bring this topic is he's planning to retire after maybe 3 more fights. And you can't deny the martinez fight had a factor in that decision. It just disappointing, he could been making big moves , not saying he wasn't, but he could done a lot more
      It was the fact he got knocked out cold. Doesnt really matter what fighter it was. ANYONE takes that same punch and they go to sleep. Period.

David Haye is about to retire. Calzaghe retired. Tito retired and came back. Hopkins retired what 3 times? Floyd retired and came back. Tarver retired. Boxers retire and come back. Sometimes they stay gone more often than not they come back.

3 fights could mean 2 more years. Which is about how long I expect him to be semi-prime. His style and the amount of flush bombs hes taken over his career plays a MAJOR role.

Im fine with his career. Could it had been better? Yes. Can it still be better? Yes.

Starting with Lara his future is still bright imo. People have bounced back from devastating KO's. Khan and Lennox Lewis instantly come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SWEETSCIENCE100 View Post
        You put it perfect bra! I agree 100%. Its to late for paul! He learned the wrong way to box for his body structure. He has the heart, chin,reach,stamina and height but with the wrong style it doesnt mean ****. Boxing is a very hard sport. With out drugs in your system your career will be very short, if your a brawler who takes alot of punches, its common sense. Paul has been damage beyond repair mentally and physically. Good thread bra!
        So all boxers are on drugs who have long careers?

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
          I'd be willing to put Saul Alvarez in there to put his lights out again..

and about his work rate, he was able to rely on it for so much, who has he really beaten?

I give him credit for outworking the slow starting Margarito, but Margarito is a very beatable guy, as long as you keep a similar or higher work rate than him, that's how Mosley, Pacquiao, and Williams beat him.

but realistically he lost against Martinez both times in MOST people's opinion, and if you wanna give him the first fight, fine, he "won" officially, but the 2nd time Martinez didn't leave it to the judges.

beyond that he really hasn't beaten anyone worth mentioning, his best attribute was his willingness to fight in 3 weight classes, but it ended when he begged for a catch weight and got put to sleep.
          From the childish insults towards the guy in the post its obvious you cant look at his career without hate behind it.

He beat a Prime Margarito when no one wanted him. The same Marg Cotto got raped by.

He beat Winky Wright albeit a past it version.
          He beat Quintana.
          He beat Cintron. (Circus fight)
          He beat Sergio Martinez.

He signed to fight Pavlik twice and Kelly pulled out both times.

Hes currently about to fight another tough challenge. Less hate, more props.

And for you to say that Alvarez would beat him just cant be taken serious. Who has Alvarez beaten? And thats froman Canelo fan bro.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
            From the childish insults towards the guy in the post its obvious you cant look at his career without hate behind it.

He beat a Prime Margarito when no one wanted him. The same Marg Cotto got raped by.

He beat Winky Wright albeit a past it version.
            He beat Quintana.
            He beat Cintron. (Circus fight)
            He beat Sergio Martinez.

He signed to fight Pavlik twice and Kelly pulled out both times.

Hes currently about to fight another tough challenge. Less hate, more props.

And for you to say that Alvarez would beat him just cant be taken serious. Who has Alvarez beaten? And thats froman Canelo fan bro.
            Winky?..the one who was out for 2 years coming off a loss at 170 against Hopkins?

Quintana, who had no business even outworking or even beating him the first time and made him look amateurish?..

and Cintron?..enough said

and he officially "beat" Martinez the first time, but that 110-119 scorecard tainted that whole decision, and it could be argued that he lost that one, and Martinez knocked the soul out that boy the second time around..

I told you I give him credit for beating Margarito, it was a solid win, but after that his career has been lack luster..and hasn't showed that he belongs at the elite level, he's alright but nothing special is all I'm saying.

And Alvarez is a 20 year old kid who happens to be ROCKING grown ass vets of the game, no big name yet, I agree so I wouldn't mind Williams being the first one.

Comment

The Punisher was born in the wrong era.He would have been at home in the 80's & older.He's a throw back fighter.Yes he is tall & has a heavyweight reach.But He's skinny.He doesn''t use his height,he's a good inside fighter & he's exciting.

He was also avoided by superstar fighters,had to travel up & down in weight & got ko'd by arguably the best fighter in boxing.He's a 3 time world champion & he still has a couple big fights left in him.Just like Burner said,I'll add 147 to it too though.The Punisher beats the block between 147-154.There are a couple middleweights that might beat him.

He is underappreciated & I'll miss him when he's gone.I honestly believe most of the hate he recieved were from people who had a favorite fighter in a weightclass he campaigned in & they knew their man was afraid of him.He's gonna beat Lara & maybe get a big name in there for a blockbuster fairwell.

Comment

never thought he was special....................he was no tommy hearns......i didnt buy the most feared man ****....like some posters were trying hard ........................and i was right

Comment

Saul Alvarez isn't going anywhere near Paul Williams.

Comment

With his size and stamina he can beat anybody but he is also very one dimensional which means he can loss to lesser fighters. Its a shame he can't get good promotion he is one of the most exciting fighters and he has some charisma he should be one of the most well known fighters.

Comment

I was never high on Williams. Williams been needed to make some major changes to his fight game and we will see if he has in a few weeks. Williams has had the time to make those changes with break since the Martinez fight. If Williams and his trainer were to stubborn to make those changes he will always lose to top level fighters. Williams should just fought at 154. I understand wanting the big money that fighting PBF or Manny would have gotten him at 147 but those guys were never going to fight him. That has been known Williams wasn't going to get those fights so it was stupid of him and his managers for staying at 147 all that time fighting fights that were not making Williams better. I know this is a little contradicting but I don't think Williams frame with his style of fighting could take the punishment at 154 and 160 consistently to stay at those weights which is why he fought at 147.

At the end of it all I was never high on Williams but I wish the man all the best in his fights and life.

Comment

Working...
                      X