Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mares-Moreno date changed to November 10th, Angulo and Arreola added to card.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mares-Moreno date changed to November 10th, Angulo and Arreola added to card.

Lance Pugmire ‏@latimespugmire
    Richard Schaefer tells me he's now moving @abnermares00-Moreno fight to Nov. 10 at Staples Center, card will include Arreola, Angulo.

Mares-Moreno
    Angulo and Arreola probably aren't fighting live bodies, acceptable for Angulo, getting pretty damn old on Arreola's part.

Comment

Why?

Any reason?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Why?

Any reason?
        He didn't say.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
          He didn't say.
          Ah well, not really a problem.

I just want this fight to come along as quick as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
            He didn't say.
            Schaefer said with Pacquiao moving off that date, it's now open and took it.

http://rin gtv.craveonline.com/blog/174623-mares-moreno-moves-to-nov-10-with-angulo-arreola

WBC junior featherweight beltholder Abner Mares will defend his title against rising WBA bantamweight titleholder Anselmo Moreno on Nov. 10 at Staples Center in Los Angeles rather than Oct. 27 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

Schaefer said the move was made in response to an adjustment by Manny Pacquiao, whose promoter, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, had originally reserved the MGM for a Nov. 10 event to be headlined by Pacquiao but recently switched that to Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand on HBO Pay Per View, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer.

Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 knockouts) is mulling rematches with either WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley or four-division title-winner Juan Manuel Marquez.

"It has become apparent now that Pacquiao is going to go on Dec. 8, and that opened up Nov. 10. So I am moving the card from Oct. 27 with Abner Mares and Anselmo Moreno from Oct. 27 to Nov. 10 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles," said Schaefer. "I think that that's a fitting place for this showdown, and I'm really excited about it."

Schaefer said that bouts for junior middleweight contender Alfredo Angulo and heavyweight contender Chris Arreola are in the works.

"There is a possibility that Chris Arreola could be on the card, and there is a possiblity that Alfredo Angulo could be on the card as well," said Schaefer. "That would be my goal to see if I can put together a very big Los Angeles card."

A 26-year-old Mexican-born fighter from Montebello, Calif., Mares will be trying to end a 27-bout winning streak that includes 10 knockouts for Moreno, who turned 27 in June.

Mares ran his record to 24-0-1, with 13 knockouts with a unanimous decision over Eric Morel for the vacant title in April in Mares' 122-pound debut. On the Mares-Morel undercard, Moreno (33-1, 12 KOs) scored a ninth-round knockout of David De La Mora.

The Mexican-born Angulo was released last month after an eight-month stay at the El Centro Detention Center in El Centro, Calif., following the winning of his court case on July 30 and the resolution of immigration matters.

Angulo's boxing manager and counsel, Michael Miller, informed ******.com that Angulo "overstayed his U.S. visa" and was being held at the El Centro Service Processing Center, an immigration detention facility located just under 14 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

Angulo was last in the ring in November, when he lost by an exciting, sixth-round knockout to southpaw James Kirkland. Angulo was stopped for the first time in his career, ending his streak of five straight knockout victories since losing by unanimous decision to Kermit Cintron in May of 2009.

Promoted by Dan Goossen, Arreola has won seven consecutive fights, including five by knockout.

"Staples Center wanted a big Los Angeles card. Abner Mares is clearly the biggest name here in Los Angeles. It's a great showdown, and we're very excited about it," said Schaefer.

"To have the availability in Los Angeles is in itself great, because whenever you have a fight at Staples Center, it elevates the fight and it elevates the event. So I'm very pleased."

Kizer said that Top Rank still has Nov. 10 reserved at the MGM Grand.

Comment

Cool. Hopefully Arum doesnt decide to change Pac back to this date. Anyway Mares v Moreno is awesome but Arrelo fights in the garbage division so dont expect much and Angulo is just garbage

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                Schaefer said with Pacquiao moving off that date, it's now open and took it.

http://rin gtv.craveonline.com/blog/174623-mares-moreno-moves-to-nov-10-with-angulo-arreola

WBC junior featherweight beltholder Abner Mares will defend his title against rising WBA bantamweight titleholder Anselmo Moreno on Nov. 10 at Staples Center in Los Angeles rather than Oct. 27 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

Schaefer said the move was made in response to an adjustment by Manny Pacquiao, whose promoter, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, had originally reserved the MGM for a Nov. 10 event to be headlined by Pacquiao but recently switched that to Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand on HBO Pay Per View, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer.

Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 knockouts) is mulling rematches with either WBO welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley or four-division title-winner Juan Manuel Marquez.

"It has become apparent now that Pacquiao is going to go on Dec. 8, and that opened up Nov. 10. So I am moving the card from Oct. 27 with Abner Mares and Anselmo Moreno from Oct. 27 to Nov. 10 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles," said Schaefer. "I think that that's a fitting place for this showdown, and I'm really excited about it."

Schaefer said that bouts for junior middleweight contender Alfredo Angulo and heavyweight contender Chris Arreola are in the works.

"There is a possibility that Chris Arreola could be on the card, and there is a possiblity that Alfredo Angulo could be on the card as well," said Schaefer. "That would be my goal to see if I can put together a very big Los Angeles card."

A 26-year-old Mexican-born fighter from Montebello, Calif., Mares will be trying to end a 27-bout winning streak that includes 10 knockouts for Moreno, who turned 27 in June.

Mares ran his record to 24-0-1, with 13 knockouts with a unanimous decision over Eric Morel for the vacant title in April in Mares' 122-pound debut. On the Mares-Morel undercard, Moreno (33-1, 12 KOs) scored a ninth-round knockout of David De La Mora.

The Mexican-born Angulo was released last month after an eight-month stay at the El Centro Detention Center in El Centro, Calif., following the winning of his court case on July 30 and the resolution of immigration matters.

Angulo's boxing manager and counsel, Michael Miller, informed ******.com that Angulo "overstayed his U.S. visa" and was being held at the El Centro Service Processing Center, an immigration detention facility located just under 14 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

Angulo was last in the ring in November, when he lost by an exciting, sixth-round knockout to southpaw James Kirkland. Angulo was stopped for the first time in his career, ending his streak of five straight knockout victories since losing by unanimous decision to Kermit Cintron in May of 2009.

Promoted by Dan Goossen, Arreola has won seven consecutive fights, including five by knockout.

"Staples Center wanted a big Los Angeles card. Abner Mares is clearly the biggest name here in Los Angeles. It's a great showdown, and we're very excited about it," said Schaefer.

"To have the availability in Los Angeles is in itself great, because whenever you have a fight at Staples Center, it elevates the fight and it elevates the event. So I'm very pleased."

Kizer said that Top Rank still has Nov. 10 reserved at the MGM Grand.
                Thanks hombre.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
                  Cool. Hopefully Arum doesnt decide to change Pac back to this date. Anyway Mares v Moreno is awesome but Arrelo fights in the garbage division so dont expect much and Angulo is just garbage
                  Even if Pacquaio does fight on that date unless he's fighting Mayweather I'll still be watching Moreno-Mares.

Comment

Great to see angulo back.

Comment

Working...
                    X