Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the beliefs of "Evolution" and "Aliens" go hand in hand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe in both, but I don't see how they come hand in hand.

Comment

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100127...s-4b158bc.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nemisis View Post
        but shouldn't you believe in the likelyhood of other intelligent beings whether they are gray/green/pink polka dot/etc because of evolution being possible on Earth. How many other of the millions of solar systems could have similar planets like Earth. It just seems to me at least that the 2 should go hand in hand. I doubt Earth is the only place in the universe where "Evolution" is possible.
        Evolution is not the same as abiogenesis. Evolution applies to already existing life while abiogenesis applies to the creation of life from non-life. When we figure out how likley abiogenesis occurs we can more exactly figure out the likelyhood of other life (in whatever form) in the universe.

Personally, I believe the universe is so immense it's incredibly unlikely life only formed on one planet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJoker View Post
          Evolution is not the same as abiogenesis. Evolution applies to already existing life while abiogenesis applies to the creation of life from non-life. When we figure out how likley abiogenesis occurs we can more exactly figure out the likelyhood of other life (in whatever form) in the universe.

Personally, I believe the universe is so immense it's incredibly unlikely life only formed on one planet.
          But once a self replicating molecule emerges we can agree that evolution is inevitable as soon as there is competition for resources?

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            Well whenever there is some sort of molecule that makes copies of itself in which the copies have error evolution is inevitable. So yes assuming that the conditions were there for self replicating molecules to develop in the first place then you would certainly expect at least some degree of increase in complexity if there is competition for finite resources.

The fascinating possibility is that extra terrestrial life could be made up of not carbon based molecules but of some other type of molecule and the word "alien" will apply in every sense.
            I have pondered this idea for a long time.... not only that but the size, they could be evoled dinosaur size beings or even tiny beings... I guess all that would depend on their home planet's make up.

Comment

It's possible of course. I wouldn't like to venture a guess as to how plausible it is until we can at least determine how likely life is.

You have to remember that the age of our earth (~4.5 billion yrs) is about half that of our universe (~11 billion) so you cannot automatically preclude the development of life forms with more advanced technology than our own, but at this stage there is no reason for thinking so outside of the wishful thinking of science fiction stories.
              I think of our own technological boom and can't see why there couldn't be more advanced beings. Just the last 200 years alone have produced countless amounts of knowledge. If we think about it, how different could the Earth of 3010 be from today.... And that is just 1000 "Earth" years, which is less than a blink of an eye compared to the life of the universe. Now if some where in the universe intelligent life began lets say 2 million years before us.... that would only put that planets life around 4.7 billion years old. How advanced could we be in 2 million years from now....

Comment

I think of our own technological boom and can't see why there couldn't be more advanced beings. Just the last 200 years alone have produced countless amounts of knowledge. If we think about it, how different could the Earth of 3010 be from today.... And that is just 1000 "Earth" years, which is less than a blink of an eye compared to the life of the universe. Now if some where in the universe intelligent life began lets say 2 million years before us.... that would only put that planets life around 4.7 billion years old. How advanced could we be in 2 million years from now....
                We wouldn't be "human". Probably some sort of Neo-human, if
                not extinct.

And you make valid points.

Comment

The doomsday argument of the Fermi paradox suggests that once we possess the technology to destroy ourselves we will inevitably do so. So there is a strong chance that with the technology to contact other advanced life forms comes the technology for our extinction...

I have pondered this idea for a long time.... not only that but the size, they could be evoled dinosaur size beings or even tiny beings... I guess all that would depend on their home planet's make up.
                  Yes, a smaller planet might have very large life forms... there have been hypotheses put forward about large free floating organisms on gas giants, the size of whole countries drivting around on the cloudy surface...

No evidence of course but it's pleasing to contemplate.

Comment

Just wanted to put this somewhere.

Comment

The doomsday argument of the Fermi paradox suggests that once we possess the technology to destroy ourselves we will inevitably do so. So there is a strong chance that with the technology to contact other advanced life forms comes the technology for our extinction...

Yes, a smaller planet might have very large life forms... there have been hypotheses put forward about large free floating organisms on gas giants, the size of whole countries drivting around on the cloudy surface...

No evidence of course but it's pleasing to contemplate.
                      AAAAAhhhh yes human nature..... you are right, we are sooo ****ed!

Comment

Working...
                      X