Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Soccer vs. Men's: Anybody watch both? Women don't dive; Men do.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Soccer vs. Men's: Anybody watch both? Women don't dive; Men do.

I haven't watched enough Women's Soccer to make my comparison yet but I was watching a number of Women's Soccer games from the past (with Team USA) and after those matches, I ended my night watching a regular Men's match. Within minutes I saw someone down on the ground from light contact. And then a little later, someone diving around and putting on a scene to get the ref's attention. It then struck me; I didn't notice this in the Women's games. I don't have the matches on tapes so I couldn't go back and look but I found it odd that I didn't notice it in their games yet I did with the Men's.

I can't come to a conclusion just yet because I was watching one particular Women's team, Team US, and then went on to watch a regular (non-national team) Men's match....but damn, I'm wondering if the Women play the Soccer that should be instead of the Men. They were playing tougher then the Men and were showing more honor/fair-play on the field.

So my question to those that watch both Men and Women Soccer...what have you noticed?

I'll be waiting to watch other games that the Women play and look out just for the diving and other b.s. that plagues the Men's game to see. There has to be diving and b.s. in the Women's game, but how much and who does it would be a good comparison. Although if this doesn't go on, damn....that's crazy and maybe the Men should learn from the Women.
    It would be like asking a Lesbian where the G-spot is.
    Oh, that's how you do it.
    Last edited by Benny Leonard; 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM.

Women's soccer is not fast enough, it makes for a dull spectacle. There's also less "diving" because there's more points where the ball isn't moving and two or more players are hacking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      Women's soccer is not fast enough, it makes for a dull spectacle. There's also less "diving" because there's more points where the ball isn't moving and two or more players are hacking at it.
      So you are saying that they don't dive because the ref can catch their act more than the Men's?

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
        So you are saying that they don't dive because the ref can catch their act more than the Men's?
        I'm saying that the stakes are lower and there are less spectacular falls because the ball is bogged down more often. The game is less dynamic. If there are fewer spectacular falls there are fewer opportunities to dive.

Comment

I'm saying that the stakes are lower and there are less spectacular falls because the ball is bogged down more often. The game is less dynamic. If there are fewer spectacular falls there are fewer opportunities to dive.
          Ah....either way, I'm with Arsene Wenger when he basically said it has no business being in the game. I was watching this short piece about diving in the game and coaches and players were interviewed about it. Surprisingly it seemed more people in Soccer, players and coaches, agreed that it was OK and it was part of the game. Crazy.

It ruins the game for me.

If I were a Pro I would never dive.

Comment

Ah....either way, I'm with Arsene Wenger when he basically said it has no business being in the game. I was watching this short piece about diving in the game and coaches and players were interviewed about it. Surprisingly it seemed more people in Soccer, players and coaches, agreed that it was OK and it was part of the game. Crazy.

More part of the Italian game and to a lesser degree the Spanish game. I hate it. I think we should start using video evidence and giving out bans for it. It brings the game into disrepute.

Comment

More part of the Italian game and to a lesser degree the Spanish game. I hate it. I think we should start using video evidence and giving out bans for it. It brings the game into disrepute.
              It also slows down the game.

Agree: they could use video replay to see what's up and if the player was clearly diving...RED CARD and then a fine. Get it out of the game.

Comment

Agree: they could use video replay to see what's up and if the player was clearly diving...RED CARD and then a fine. Get it out of the game.
                I've always thought they should use video evidence and then knee-cap the divers with a shotgun. it would solve the problem in no time. I hate it, really does my head in. It's not so much the falling over that bothers me. Stakes are high, i can see why they do it (although dont agree with it), but its the rolling around on the ground in apparent agonising pain after getting a TAP on their SHIN GUARD that pisses me of.

Havent seen much womens football but your right now that i think about it i dont think there was anywhere near as much. Only time i saw any matches was the last world cup. Only watched Sweden......

Comment

Im going to make a sweeping statement so brace yourself, generally English players were not divers, but since the introduction of more and more foreign players to the Premiership, English players are guilty of it just as much as the foreign players, before it was the English players who were less likely to do it, but now everyone does it. I guess if you see someone getting rewarded for it and your team being punished for it you are more than likely gonna be inclined to follow.

Rooney and Gerrard are terrible for diving.

Comment

I mean after the game. All games are recorded and all games are reviewed by both teams' managers. So a diving incident will be noticed and the officials can bring action against offenders after the event. This is my punishment:

A player dives and gains an advantage = 1 game ban
                    A player dives and gets a penalty = 3 game ban
                    A player dives and gets another player sent off = 3 game ban
                    A player dives and gets another player sent off AND a penalty = extra game ban

So with up to a four game ban for diving players think twice about doing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X