No announcement yet.

Stopping fights on medical grounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King- View Post
    Usually anyone on here calling anyone a punk for "quitting" is just trolling/obvious alt, don't worry
    I would hope so, but some of these guys you never know. But in the end it's definitely unfortunate. I read this article about how boxing is more dangerous than mma and in a way it is. In MMA the glove size doesn't allow guys to take prolonged beatings like in boxing without being laid out for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
      Why or how does open scoring ruin boxing? It could also be closed and computer based.
      Two simple rules are one medical evidence beyond cuts should be considered by an impartial party two if a boxer is over 6 rounds ahead by round 8 it stops.
      My point remains as you can evidence no new rule changes or guidance that not enough is being done.
      It's interesting that scandanavia bans pro boxing. I'd say they are one of the more progressive societies.
      I wouldn't want that and I understand the hypocrisy of that statement but more can be done
      I suppose some sort of closed scoring could work but that sounds like a mess.

I'm not sure you have made your mind up if you think the sport even deserves to exist. BTW you can box in Denmark and Finland and Norway is going to lift its 30 year old ban soon.
      Last edited by WilkinsOlajuwon; 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        the BBBofC usually employ their refs to stop the fight when appropriate.

A lot of people abroad criticize it, but I applaud it.
        I agree the uk is leading the way in many respects.
        I've never had an issue with an early stoppage

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          the BBBofC usually employ their refs to stop the fight when appropriate.

A lot of people abroad criticize it, but I applaud it.
          Yeah I've noticed fights in the UK usually get stopped before a guy is about to take severe punishment (sometimes the guy could probably come back, but at what cost?) but most of the time it seems the stoppage happens when a guy has nothing left and allowing it to continue would do nothing but start the permanant/brain damage, etc... IMO

But where the hell was the BBBofC when Terry O'Connor carried Cleverly, with his eyes rolled to the back of his head, to his corner against Kovalev?!

Comment

Yeah I saw they were reviewing it, I think in part to the progress made. But we shouldn't rest and think we've done enough while people are still suffering needlessly.
            Also why should I assume it should exist? That wouldn't be considering all options.
            They could trial stuff and run statistics on previous fights.
            I'd love to do proper work and research in the field

Comment

There's several doctors at any given decent card, yet when was the last time you saw a doctor stop a fight that wasnt from a cut or twisted ankle or some other surface injury? I dont think ive ever seen a doctor stop a fight for a possible brain injury

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                There's several doctors at any given decent card, yet when was the last time you saw a doctor stop a fight that wasnt from a cut or twisted ankle or some other surface injury? I dont think ive ever seen a doctor stop a fight for a possible brain injury
                I think that'd be very hard to judge.
                They just need to prevent people from being on the wrong side of a hiding for 12 rounds just because they have stayed on their feet

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
                  Yeah I've noticed fights in the UK usually get stopped before a guy is about to take severe punishment (sometimes the guy could probably come back, but at what cost?) but most of the time it seems the stoppage happens when a guy has nothing left and allowing it to continue would do nothing but start the permanant/brain damage, etc... IMO

But where the hell was the BBBofC when Terry O'Connor carried Cleverly, with his eyes rolled to the back of his head, to his corner against Kovalev?!
                  That ref is a buffoon of the highest order.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky_Monk View Post
                    I think that'd be very hard to judge.
                    They just need to prevent people from being on the wrong side of a hiding for 12 rounds just because they have stayed on their feet
                    Its the entire reason they are there

Comment

@LacedUp...spot on.

Personally, I still wish there were far more ex-fighters in the refreeing business and equipped with the authority to stop a fight as and when they deem fit. It is a good, steady job for the former pro and they can be trained to see the medical signs and have a better, innate understanding of the shots being taken.

The UK has had some bad times, notably Benn V the G-Man and Eubank v Watson, but I think we do better than most with guys like Mickey Vann and Dave Parris doing a very good job down the years. Brian Andersen used to be decent as well and Ian John Lewis is getting better after some stumbles.

More ex-pro refs is a good step all round...they've taken the shots, can evaluate the fighter and if they're given a degree of medical training they can call the doctor in when they're concerned. Makes sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X