Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Is The World Too Big For Featherweight Chris John?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Is The World Too Big For Featherweight Chris John?

By Cliff Rold - With a population just shy of 240 million, being a superstar in Indonesia and Indonesia alone is pretty damn impressive. That one could have their name spread into at least some part of the rest of the world is a level of fame, distinction, few can ever achieve.

31-year old WBA Featherweight titlist Chris John (44-0-2, 22 KO) has made 13 title defenses since entering the title scene, initially as an interim titlist, in 2003. Those defenses have come in four different countries, Australia, Japan and the U.S. giving John an impressive platform along with his homeland.

So why does it feel like the Featherweight division is passing him by without John’s say?

Maybe it’s the whole not being in Indonesia thing. After all, this weekend’s most watched fight won’t be on HBO or Showtime. In a fight fairly heralded in the build as the biggest ever staged in Indonesia, John will defend against 23-year old countryman Daud Yordan (27-1, 21 KO). It won’t be aired in the States.

There’s still no denying its place as ‘the biggest fight in the world’ for a day.

Then comes the next day.

The winner of the bout, assuming it’s John, will be however many rounds older in ring years, still with the same belt he’s had for years, still no closer to where he could be at this stage. In some corners, even managing to do nothing but win, he’s losing esteem. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm tired of people ***** about John not going over to the States to fight.

He is the champ, if someone wants to take his belt they gotta go over to Indonesia to take it.

Comment

I wonder how much chris john makes over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
        I'm tired of people ***** about John not going over to the States to fight.

He is the champ, if someone wants to take his belt they gotta go over to Indonesia to take it.
        That is fine and I agree if someone wants the belt they should go to the champs home to get it but on a similar note if John wants anyone to care about him or notice his fights he needs to go where ppl are paying attention and against opponents ppl care about.

Comment

ask JMM why you dont fight Chris John in Indonesia.

Comment

john is not a big star in the u.s no1 cares about this cat he has a belt so wat if he wants big fights come to the u.s and fight jmm wooped his asss and got robbed why speak of this guy if hes a non factor in the division juanma and gamboa are the stars of the division and fight known fighters who are ranked unlike john i hope yordan kos him and fights either juanma or gamboa

Comment

great point i agree with you no1 cares for this guy he can fight in japan against hasegwa or can come to vegas and fight juanma or gamboa fights ppl will actually care to see fight the top guys stop fighting bums in ure country boxing is about pride and respect and he wont be getting respect from anyone if he doesn't fight the best

Comment

I was so pissed after watching that Marquez fight, it's disgusting. I hate hometown decisions, I can't ****in stand em. They happen all over there, europe, and even here in the states. *****s ****in disgusting.

If I was Gamboa I'd go over there and whoop his ass real quick. It'd be nasty for his resume later down the road when he retires. Not to mention since punk ass Bob Arum wants to say "the time ain't right" because of his little fan base, then go over and whoop the #1 fighter in the world at that weight class, **** em up real quick, and you'll have a strong case for Gamboa-Lopez.

I know I'd be afraid of a robbery but I think Gamboa would take his ass out.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                  By Cliff Rold - With a population just shy of 240 million, being a superstar in Indonesia and Indonesia alone is pretty damn impressive. That one could have their name spread into at least some part of the rest of the world is a level of fame, distinction, few can ever achieve.

31-year old WBA Featherweight titlist Chris John (44-0-2, 22 KO) has made 13 title defenses since entering the title scene, initially as an interim titlist, in 2003. Those defenses have come in four different countries, Australia, Japan and the U.S. giving John an impressive platform along with his homeland.

So why does it feel like the Featherweight division is passing him by without John’s say?

Maybe it’s the whole not being in Indonesia thing. After all, this weekend’s most watched fight won’t be on HBO or Showtime. In a fight fairly heralded in the build as the biggest ever staged in Indonesia, John will defend against 23-year old countryman Daud Yordan (27-1, 21 KO). It won’t be aired in the States.

There’s still no denying its place as ‘the biggest fight in the world’ for a day.

Then comes the next day.

The winner of the bout, assuming it’s John, will be however many rounds older in ring years, still with the same belt he’s had for years, still no closer to where he could be at this stage. In some corners, even managing to do nothing but win, he’s losing esteem. [Click Here To Read More]
                  I regret disagreeing with you as I look forward to your articles with which i generally agree and like even when I dont agree. As with this one. It has much cerebral content, but in one thing I do NOT agree. Chris John beat Marquez well, fairly and squarely, a clean 3 judge agreement, and those who were there have agreed that the verdict was corect. Marquez was maybe not himself because he'd recently turned down $750,000 to rematch Manny P. and then had to accept $32,500 against John.

But he unquestionably lost......... . All round.

Enough to give anyone "the pip".

Comment

I think John is totally happy being a star in Indonesia. He's taken some big checks to fight in Japan and America, and is pretty happy with his situation. On the international scene there are some up-and-commers becomming much bigger names due to fighting stateside, but ultimately he's the champ. If they want his belt, they can go over there and beat him.

If not? He's still the man on top.

Comment

Working...
                    X