Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's better: Roy Jones or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say roy at his peak was better, and i would favor him over pernell,,

Pernell had more quality fights/opponents, but jones had dominant performances over hopkins, toney, hill, ruiz and pernell was never that dominant in the ring as roy

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I would say roy at his peak was better, and i would favor him over pernell,,

Pernell had more quality fights/opponents, but jones had dominant performances over hopkins, toney, hill, ruiz and pernell was never that dominant in the ring as roy
      Ruiz isn't a good win. And don't give me that "He was the first MW to win a title at HW in 100 years." bull****, either. Roy hand-picked Ruiz because he was a feather-fisted, slow HW who didn't have a huge size advantage over him. Ruiz got KTFO against Tua in 19 seconds. Any of the other HWs would have knocked Roy spark out.
      Last edited by VG_Addict; 04-02-2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
        Ruiz isn't a good win. And don't give me that "He was the first MW to win a title at HW in 100 years." bull****, either. Roy hand-picked Ruiz because he was a feather-fisted, slow HW who didn't have a huge size advantage over him. Ruiz got KTFO against Tua in 19 seconds. Any of the other HWs would have knocked Roy spark out.
        Ruiz was a bit inexperienced when he fought Tua and got blitzed with a punch not too many heavy's could handle. I think it's more telling that none of the other HW's Ruiz fought (and he fought nearly all of them) barely came close to accomplishing that.

Comment

Sweet pea!

Comment

Originally posted by JDD1 View Post
            I agree about roy and sweet pea.

The only thing for me is what sweet pea had, you can teach. what roy had, either god gives it to you or he doesn't.

Comment

I say roy...

Comment

Whitaker was robbed many times, and for that reason, I'd say it's about even between he and Jones.

Both were great fighters during their time. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Whitaker was somewhat abused by the politics of the sport, which occasionally happens to some great fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by hitman smax View Post
                  Whitaker was robbed many times, and for that reason, I'd say it's about even between he and Jones.

Both were great fighters during their time. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Whitaker was somewhat abused by the politics of the sport, which occasionally happens to some great fighters.
                  That Chavez robbery was a thing of bewilderment. I was there and the crowd was silent by the end of the 12th, you could hear a pin drop. I remember turning to a colleague and saying this was the best counter punching performance I'd seen in a decade and then the scores were read out. I'm not I believe it to this day.

Having said that, in their primes, I think Roy Jones was better, he had speed and power and could stop you just as soon as outpoint you. Problem is, he never took the fights he should have whereas Whitaker did, which is why he is probably always ranked higher.

Comment

Working...
                  X