Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the punch resistance scale with weight? Would MW be able to KO HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the punch resistance scale with weight? Would MW be able to KO HW?

Ok, the question is how much the overall body weight affects the punch resistance.

In the case of a clean, head shot does HW has a much better chance than lets say SMW to survive and carry on.

Would GGG be able to KO Arreola with a clean, head shot? Would the shot that put Groves down be able to put some average HW like Charr down?

head, alone, of the average HW does not differ a lot from the head of average HW...

I would say that the punch power scale much more drastically than the punch resistance (I am talking about the head shots). Average HW hits much harder than average MW, but does this mean that the average HW takes head shots much better than average MW...

Discuss

I bet Golovkin could KO a crappy HW with his hardest shot. If Tomasz Adamek can hurt HWs, than hard hitters at LHW like Kovalev and Stevenson could probably **** them up if they hit them with their best. I would imagine most boxers with at least modest punching power would effect even much bigger guys if they land their best shot flush on the chin. Look at Ishida, he went from LMW to HW.

There's a limit, of course, and those smaller fighters would have to actually land that shot.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I bet Golovkin could KO a crappy HW with his hardest shot. If Tomasz Adamek can hurt HWs, than hard hitters at LHW like Kovalev and Stevenson could probably **** them up if they hit them with their best. I would imagine most boxers with at least modest punching power would effect even much bigger guys if they land their best shot flush on the chin. Look at Ishida, he went from LMW to HW.

There's a limit, of course, and those smaller fighters would have to actually land that shot.
      Of course, I am not talking about their ability to land. It would be very hard for any MW/SMW/LHW to land on decent HW. I am more interested in power resistance of the bigger men.

Lets say Chisorra puts his hands down and says to Manny to land his best shot however he wants. Would Manny be able to hurt him?

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
        Of course, I am not talking about their ability to land. It would be very hard for any MW/SMW/LHW to land on decent HW. I am more interested in power resistance of the bigger men.

Lets say Chisorra puts his hands down and says to Manny to land his best shot however he wants. Would Manny be able to hurt him?
        I think there would be some limitations there But I wouldn't totally discount a WW KO'ing a HW under perfect circumstances. Anything less and it is highly unlikely due to the heavier weight classes being accustomed to taking heavier shots on the regular.

Comment

yes, the average HW takes a better shot than the average MW. Not on a p4p scale, but on a total amount of punishment scale.

And yes, I think Manny or any dangerous puncher could KO a HW if they let him hit them square on the chin.

Change my mind. A stone cold KO, I don't really know, but dazing them, yes.

Comment

Generally a bigger heavier naturally more physically stronger guy who's trained his body to perform at a level and trade punches with a man of similar size will have much better punch resistance than a smaller weight fighter, going back to your question on if a smaller guy can KO a bigger guy, I doubt a MW could really KO a HW he could possibly give him a flash knockdown but the chances of a KO are slim, LHW's are more likely to be able to KO a heavyweight because they would carry more power and weight.

CW's are the best of the three though, I prefer CW's over LHW's and HW's.

Comment

I felt power from all sorts of fighters from flyweight up to heavyweight, they all have strong punches that could lay anyone out if landed correctly.

Pretty much no difference between 15 pounds like 140-155. I think ever 20 pounds you can feel a bit more power but every shot still hurts even if a 130 pounder landed some clean ones against a 230 pounder .

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                I felt power from all sorts of fighters from flyweight up to heavyweight, they all have strong punches that could lay anyone out if landed correctly.

Pretty much no difference between 15 pounds like 140-155. I think ever 20 pounds you can feel a bit more power but every shot still hurts even if a 130 pounder landed some clean ones against a 230 pounder .
                Thx for the response.

I suppose what I meant with my question is how much punch resistance scale with the weight.

For example 250lbs boxer punches 3x harder than 160lbs boxer.
                Does 250lbs boxer is 3x more resilient than 160lbs boxer?

IMO punch power scaling is much more pronounced than punch resistance.

Comment

if wlad bent over and presented his chin you could rest assured than golovkin would spark him

Comment

i've staggered much bigger and heavier boxers in sparring, so it's highly possible

Comment

Working...
                    X