• Show
Clear All

Jab- Whitaker
    Offense- Whitaker
    Defense- Equal
    Footwork- Equal
    Ring IQ- Mayweather

Comment

Lots of you guys give Mayweather the edge over Whitaker in ring I.Q. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
        Floyd has great adaptability (I'm thinking of the Judah, Mosley, and DLH fights) and almost always fights his fight. He's a cold-blooded opportunist. Look at how he finished off Ortiz. He's pulled that move on quite a few fighters, especially Mosley. He can figure out a fighter's weakness and exploit it. Against Cotto, he figured out how to loop his right hand and follow with a left uppercut. The list goes on.

I'm not claiming Whitaker had a low ring IQ; he didn't. It's more that Floyd's is one of the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
          Yeah, you saw Poets rankings' and I think there is some insight in that. Ring IQ is actually Floyd's greatest asset. Rather than being good enough with one program to try to bypass everyone, he is extremely good at adapting to his opponent..

Really these two fighters are close in a lot of these areas...well maybe not footwork.
          Last edited by res; 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
            Who had the best:
            Jab - Whitaker
            Offense - Mayweather
            Defense - Whitaker
            Footwork -Whitaker
            Boxing IQ - Whitaker

^done...........
            I think this guy nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
              Yeah, you saw Poets rankings' and I think there is some insight in that. Ring IQ is actually Floyd's greatest asset. Rather than being good enough with one program to try to bypass everyone, he is extremely good at adapting to his opponent..

Really these two fighters are close in a lot of these areas...well maybe not footwork.
              My only real knock on Whitaker's ring intelligence is his propensity to clown in the ring. Mayweather doesn't really do that so he gets the edge in that category

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post

I would rate Floyd slightly higher in this particular category. Whitaker had tremendous boxing instincts, but Mayweather does adapt brilliantly to find a way to win. Other than the Hurtado fight, Whitaker rarely had to. He was winning almost every round in his prime.

Comment

Jab - Whitaker
                  Offense - Mayweather
                  Defense - Whitaker
                  Footwork -Whitaker
                  Boxing IQ - Mayweather

May-weather has had a better career however, Whitaker didn't take care of himself or train as consistently
                  Last edited by them_apples; 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Jab - Whitaker, possibly the best southpaw jab of all time what do you guys think?

Offense - Close call: Mayweather

Defense - Very close call, depends on what you include in defense and what in ring IQ: Whitaker

Footwork - way too hard to call: frankly I think anyone making any decisive pick here needs to go back and watch himself some fights. It again dependse on what you want to call ring IQ and what you want to call footwork.

Boxing IQ - Mayweather. Not a knock on Pea, but PBF just plans, adjusts and his opponents stop throwing, never mind landing. Took Hopkins to be 40 to get to what Mayw. was already doing at 25.

Comment

Working...
                    X