No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hopkins, Naazim Block Out Cloud's Fight With Campillo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hopkins, Naazim Block Out Cloud's Fight With Campillo

Bernard Hopkins knows undefeated Tavoris Cloud could’ve just as easily been declared the loser of his last fight against Gabriel Campillo.

Hopkins has still tried his best to forget the Cloud-Campillo fight occurred while getting ready to challenge Cloud for the IBF light heavyweight title Saturday night in Brooklyn (9:45 p.m. ET; HBO). Unlike Hopkins, Spain’s Campillo is a southpaw, yet that isn’t the only reason Hopkins hasn’t studied footage from Cloud’s split-decision win last Feb. 18 in Corpus Christi, Texas.

“Naazim refused to let me watch the fight,” Hopkins said, referring to trainer Naazim Richardson. “He said that fight is terribly misleading, and all through camp he made sure I didn’t have that DVD, that tape or anything, because he believed that’s a fight that would be terribly misleading to any athlete, especially a veteran like myself.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

I know Hopkins has done his homework and has a great strategy,i hope we get 1 more great performance from the Master and he can retire on his own terms

Comment

Hopkins really made me a fan of his pre-game strategies when he fought Oscar. Brilliant from Hopkins.

Comment

I find it so refreshing to hear a fighter, especially of Hops' legendary status, talk intelligently about watching footage of his opponent - and not just his most recent fight, as he explained, but selectively picking earlier ones in his career when he was more dangerous. Love it!

Usually from younger guys we'd get some lazy BS like "I don't need to watch no stinkin' video. I'll let my trainer do that and handle the rest myself!" How boring is that? Sure it's all about one's fists in the ring, but that brain up there plays just as big a part of winning.

Props to X for still using his smarts. Younger fighters really should take a tip.

Comment

I think it's good Hopkins isn't going into this fight thinking Cloud isn't a threat because of the Campillo fight, but at the same time, I don't think completely neglecting watching footage of a fight that highlights his weaknesses is very bright. Watch the tape towards the end of camp. May notice some real openings/opportunities.

Comment

That's good.... Considering at this stage Hopkins cant do what Campillo did

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              That's good.... Considering at this stage Hopkins cant do what Campillo did
              I think Hops can and i think people gonna be surprised on how easily he beats Cloud.

Comment

I've been here before and been very, very wrong. But I am worried for Bernard with this fight. I said the same thing before Pavlik though.

I really hope he'll retire soon I just don't want there to ever be a fight where he suddenly isn't there at all anymore and looks like 1980's confused/beat up Muhammad Ali.

The Dawson fight was tough to watch because there was nothing he could have done to win. He's still very good at not getting beat up by his opponents but at some point he will have gone too far and just gotten too old. He is essentially 50 years old. We're almost at that point if we aren't already past it where this just isn't safe anymore. Regardless how brilliant he is, it just isn't safe.

50 years old..

All that said I love and respect the hell out of Hopkins, I am a believer. He's forced me and everyone else to never count him out.

Comment

sounds like a good fight saturday...may the best man win

Comment

Bhop will win this fight, I don't think Cloud has the tools to beat him.

Comment

Working...
                    X