No announcement yet.

1996 Mike Tyson vs 1997 Ike Ibeabuchi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    96 Tyson was still incredibly good and on another level from Ike. The whole "post Rooney" thing gets blown out of proportion because Mike was simply outstanding with Rooney and while his skills did diminish a bit post Rooney, he was still an incredible boxer/fighter and was better than anybody in the division, IMO, even Holyfield. And in 96 when he fought Holyfield, Mike showed up in INCREDIBLE condition. He showed up in better condition than he had for his fights from 90-92. Think about that fight with Holyfield.... Just because Mike lost doesn't mean other guys are going to beat him the same way. That was an incredible fight.

96 Mike still takes Ike's head off in my opinion.
    How could he be better than Holyfield in 96 when he got beat by him?

Comment

Originally posted by rubensonnny View Post
      How could he be better than Holyfield in 96 when he got beat by him?
      Evander just had a great night. I think Dempsey is better than Tunney too.

Comment

Evander just had a great night. I think Dempsey is better than Tunney too.
        What is there to suggest that Tyson was a better fighter than Holyfield in 1996, that makes no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ring Magazine View Post
          Who wins & how?

Mike was still fast as hell when he put his punches together like against Bruno on the ropes in their second fight...He didn't quit in the first fight against Holy so I say he tko's Ibeabuchi who gets hit with an uppercut he never sees...

Comment

Tyson of 1996 was "shot" he came out of prison and had never taken a single punch in over 5yrs, he won 4 fights on intimidation not ability, McNeeley, Seldon Mathis & Bruno never put up any kind of a fight and all was beaten before the first bell, Evander Holyfield who himself was "on the slide" was not intimidated so was able to beat a fighter who had very little left. Ibeabuchi was a young fighter on the up with very good boxing skills who would not be intimidated by that version of Mike Tyson, i see this fight going similar to how the Ibeabuchi vs Tua fight went with Ike winning a lopsided decision.

Comment

Any version of Mike before his suspension handles Ike with ease.
              And Buster Douglas is like an improved version of Riddick Bowe, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                Tyson of 1996 was "shot" he came out of prison and had never taken a single punch in over 5yrs, he won 4 fights on intimidation not ability, McNeeley, Seldon Mathis & Bruno never put up any kind of a fight and all was beaten before the first bell, Evander Holyfield who himself was "on the slide" was not intimidated so was able to beat a fighter who had very little left. Ibeabuchi was a young fighter on the up with very good boxing skills who would not be intimidated by that version of Mike Tyson, i see this fight going similar to how the Ibeabuchi vs Tua fight went with Ike winning a lopsided decision.
                Holyfield wasn't at the top of his game but he had a hell of a night. If Mike was shot there's no way he could have put on such an incredible outing. I would agree that Mcneely, Seldon and Bruno were all bums, but Mike looked to be in incredible condition and fought a hell of a fight. If he were shot he would not have made it to the 11th round.

Not prime, but definitely not shot.

Comment

Holyfield wasn't at the top of his game but he had a hell of a night. If Mike was shot there's no way he could have put on such an incredible outing. I would agree that Mcneely, Seldon and Bruno were all bums, but Mike looked to be in incredible condition and fought a hell of a fight. If he were shot he would not have made it to the 11th round.

Not prime, but definitely not shot.
                  That was Mike's toughness.. He had IMO one of the great chins of all time and he proved it that night against Holyfield.. all great fighters have one great last fight in them and that was Mike Tysons final performance... maybe not "Shot" but less than 50% of what he once was in the late 80s

Comment

The Tyson that fought Frank Bruno in 96 will have to show up for him to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                      I always thought Tua and Ibeabuchi would make for very interesting matchups with Tyson. I'd favor pre Douglas Tyson over both, but think Ike beats the 96 version, either by decision or late KO. Ike showed excellent stamina and beard in the Tua fight and 96 Tyson was more of a headhunter with mediocre stamina.
                      - -Talking about prime Ike, that's a narrow 1yr pre Tua.

Post Tua sees him falling apart in stages resulting in the end of his career and incarceration.
                      Post prison Mike was a 4 rd fighter on proscribed experimental sedatives ain't able to take advantage of post Tua.

Comment

Working...
                      X