No announcement yet.

Rocky Marciano is not a top ten all time heavyweight and I'll tell you why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
    How about we talk about to this day Marciano seem obvious? Why is that? Do you really believe Moore and Charles couldn't've just moved? Of course they could. Anyone could, hell even barely mobile Wlad could. It's why didn't they? Because they saw what you see. Maybe dig into why it worked and why it's not been done since Marciano.

How about raw power? The ability to break bones on command? Do you think as people get larger their bones get stronger? Marciano put out more footpounds than anyone else ever recorded. He could break bones, period and open ended. It's like saying you believe there are men big enough to just take a bullet from a 9. You can think it, but yer ****ed to death stupid to.

How about the win-loss ratio of this "weak" era? I know the double digits of the L bracket hurt y'alls vag to see, but if you work out w-l ratios it's one of the finest eras of boxing.

How about how often the era fought or what advancements in the game came of it? I mean, it was enough to inspire Ali to take Walcott and LaStarza's techniques and claim they're his to beat the likes of Foreman etc. That's Walcott's shuffle and LzStarza's rope-a-dope....but ya know weak era.

How about we talk about how you guys act like you know **** all about a 1950s resume? This is why y'all reckon the 50s is weak. What the **** do you know about Jackie Burke? **** all? How the **** do you judge Harry Kid Mathews? By looking at the record and knowing you don't recognize the name? All great boxers have lots and lots of articles written about them do they? Nope, go learn on some Harry and some Jackie.

Right now you can't even explain to me what makes any of Marciano's opponents bad. Walcott was older, sure, does that make him a bad opponent or just older? Let me know that way I can tell everyone old who does something physical their age makes them **** at it regardless of their feats. What makes Harry Mathews not one of the best names on any resume period? How about ****ell? They lost? To who? How many times did Harry fight a guy with over a 100 wins on him? How many times did a name lose to another name? 5 losses to the same damn person is different from 5 to 5 people. These thing don't make someone good, or bad. They're adjectives, modifiers. If you believe Walcott would have been sharper younger show me with video. While you go try to prove that you're gonna find you're just wrong. Far more video for you to work with too.

So yeah, whatever bro, to a guy who has never heard of Jackie Burke your list should look the way it does. You're one of millions who loves to talk about the 1950s but doesn't bother to learn anymore than what can be found in any given single article on the subject. You couldn't spot a great resume of the past if I ****ing laid the out for you. Why do you support only Dempsey and Tunney of the 20s? Why is JJ the only HW of the 10s you like? Because that's all you know. You can't explain to me what made Dempsey. You don't know who the guys people were looking at are, nor do you recognize the decent resumes the make up what becomes a fantastic resume. It doesn't even make sense to pick a single from an era. If he's the only thing great about the era guess what? Weak ****ing era init ya dumb ****? Marciano, Moore, Walcott, Mathews, Charles, LaStarza, Layne, and ****ell. good supports great, and you recognize most those names. Who the **** is Jack Dempsey's Harry Mathews? Who is Jack Johnson's Jackie Burke? **** if you know right? You know about Tunney, Willard, Jeffries, and Langford, the easy ****. What made them worth a **** in the first place you don't know. So you've a ****ty list any casual could have shat out as a result.

Spending more hours with surface knowledge than youre average casual doesn't make you less casual.

The fact that I can't say Don ****ell is ****ed up. You ****ing ****s have put hurt feelings over history. **** you for that, you stupid silly *****es.
    Wow. What a breakdown. Green for this one. And I agree. Marciano's ear was not weak in any way. The older guys who know what they're doing are always more dangerous. Charles and Walcott would beat most heavyweights of any era.

Comment

• So LaStarza and Cockell are great names to have on a resume now? Is that what we're going to stoop to in order to praise Marciano?

Comment

• Here's the rock giving Ted Williams some pointers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post

Here's the rock giving Ted Williams some pointers.
          He should've gave him a pointer....right on the chin....home run !

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            He should've gave him a pointer....right on the chin....home run !
            Ok........

Comment

• I think putting him in the top 10 heavyweights of all time is a little too far.

He's is an extremely skilled fighter as I said without doubt but he's not a heavyweight in modern boxing and he would get destroyed by any modern fighter. I'd love to watch him fight Tyson. Tyson would back him into a corner and kill him.

Not to mention, people didn't know anything about dieting or nutrition back in those days. They didn't have the knowledge like we do today.

As I said, he was extremelly skilled but he just doesn't have neither the body nor genetics to be considered a top 10 heavyweight.

Comment

• ...."Not to mention, people didn't know anything about dieting or nutrition (how do you know that)? back in those days. They didn't have the knowledge like we do today".

Can you give me examples of "dieting & nutrition" differences?

You see now heavyweights train to maintain higher weights and in Rocky's day they trained to "trim down" to be able to throw a high volume of punches over the course of 15 rounds. Stamina was a huge part of training camps then, these days we have heavyweight fights featuring huge men who can't throw One Hundred punches in 12 rounds Between Them!!!!!!

Today boxers like Wlad train as a decathlon athlete would, Marciano trained as a pro fighter should!

Next someone tell me how techniques have become more advanced and that "modern boxing" exceeds old school boxing that Pep or B. Leonard or Charles
                excelled at!

" body nor genetics to be considered a top 10 heavyweight". huh!

therealpugilists...............my point was short guys working out of a crouch, thats all. Have you ever fought? Being THE Real Pugilists I was wondering just how "real" you are.
                Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by motivational View Post
                  I think putting him in the top 10 heavyweights of all time is a little too far.

He's is an extremely skilled fighter as I said without doubt but he's not a heavyweight in modern boxing and he would get destroyed by any modern fighter. I'd love to watch him fight Tyson. Tyson would back him into a corner and kill him.

Not to mention, people didn't know anything about dieting or nutrition back in those days. They didn't have the knowledge like we do today.

As I said, he was extremelly skilled but he just doesn't have neither the body nor genetics to be considered a top 10 heavyweight.
                  Marciano not beating Tyson or anyone proceeding him has nothing to do with him being an all time great or not . You may as well eliminate just about everyone pre 80's if we are going to use that measuring stick of atg .Its not practical !

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    Wow. What a breakdown. Green for this one. And I agree. Marciano's ear was not weak in any way. The older guys who know what they're doing are always more dangerous. Charles and Walcott would beat most heavyweights of any era.
                    you smoking some good weed...as good as charles was at 175 and as heavyweight champion, he was going to get his azz handed to him in the 70s-90s...too much size and skill. He also didnt have the best chin. He would get slaughtered by Joe Frazier, Tyson, Lennox and Hloyfield

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      Marciano not beating Tyson or anyone proceeding him has nothing to do with him being an all time great or not . You may as well eliminate just about everyone pre 80's if we are going to use that measuring stick of atg .Its not practical !
                      Marciano not beating Tyson or anyone proceeding him has nothing to do with him being an all time great or not
                      Yes it does? Top 10 greatest heavyweights of all time great means that you're one of the top 10 hevyweights of all time, including modern time. If he can't beat todays fighters, he isn't one of the best of all time, therefore he should be replaced with people who would beat him.

I'm totally cool with him being recognised as one of the best Cruiserweights if not the best cruiserweights of all time. To say he's one of the best heavyweights isn't right though. Mainly because he's not a heavy weight.

Most of the pre 80s fighters had lots of skill. They had terrible bodies though. There was no PEDs and as I said, nobody knew about nutrition. You can't even compare half of them to post 80s fighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X