No announcement yet.

Boxing drills in the pool?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing drills in the pool?

Does anybody have a boxing routine they do at the pool? I know this has been around for a long time, but I recently watched the Cotto/Martinez 24/7 special where Cotto's strength and conditioning trainer spoke about boxing training beating you up and finding other alternatives that work equally as good but preserve your body better.

20:15

What are the benefits? Can anybody break down their routine and what they do specifically?

i have been having my guys do pool work outs 2 days a week after they lift....
    Basically we do high knees and other track exercises... Running in place and then do some shadow boxing with 5 lbs weights,under the water.... Then swim for 15 minutes..... The pool only goes up to 5 ft so the options are limited.

It's a great workout and its low impact so its perfect for people rehabbing from injuries. Great cardio and just a good workout to shock the central nervous system.

Floyd did a lot of swimming before the fight vs Manny and a lot of fighters boxing and mma guys swim..

If you have an Olympic size pool treading water in the deep end is a hell of a workout also.. It's a great mind body exercise.

Comment

I used to, when I lived in a place with a pool. Boxing exercises in the pool are good and all but my favorite use of the pool is a light exercise to get the muscles stretched, reduce soreness, regain flexibility, etc. All kinds of pool exercises, including swimming, will get you that.

Comment

This pic of ALi is fake in the sense that he did only for the photoshot, he did not train in the pool apart from occasional swimming

Comment

I once considered whether this would be of any training economy to a boxer. Not worth it.

If your gonna include the pool as part of your conditioning it's good. But swim in it!

Comment

I did them twice but I couldn't figure out how to get it done with out getting my gloves all soggy and watered down, so I stopped. 4-1/2 pound gloves are just too tough to work in.

Comment

Miguel Cotto trained with the head guy from Sports Science Lab. They sell a dvd which shows pool exercises such as the ones Miguel was doing on that episode of 24/7.

http://www.sportsciencelab.com/shop/2000

Comment

Working...
              X