Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Michael Moorer of whipped Kovalev at Light Heavy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Michael Moorer of whipped Kovalev at Light Heavy?

Michael Moorer was the next Hearns at light heavy under Emmanuel Steward. He had it all and moved up to heavyweight for better money and competition.

Moorer was pretty unproven at LHW. Not even in the same league as Hearns at his best divisions (147 and 154), who was a much better fighter and whose opposition was light years ahead of Moorer's at 175.

The WBO hadn't gained that much credibility yet, and Moorer left the divisions for bigger paydays before the best matchups could have materialized.

He's somewhat hard to pick in mythical matchups due to the weak opposition there. He obviously had power, a nice jab, and was a big LHW (big weight-cutter). He was rather unimpressive for much of his title defense against Leslie Stewart, probably the best LHW he faced, but to his credit, pulled it together and stopped Stewart.

Kovalev is more proven at 175 and has a pretty solid skillset to go with his heavy hands. I would lean towards him although I am not all that confident in the pick. He definitely had a tougher time than I expected against Pascal, who has never impressed me. I thought he won win it rather easily and I think Moorer would have handled Pascal pretty easily as well.
    Last edited by Thread Stealer; 12-30-2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X