Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roberto Duran the greatest combination of offense and defense?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
    I couldn't keep my mouth shut if a trainer in my gym said that. Seriously, I'd probably call them out. Props for keeping your cool.
    Yeah bro, it really took great effort to not call him out on that. It bothered me that there was a lot of youngsters there who probably walked away that night thinking that Duran was just a great brawler who lacked defense.

Comment

Tyson is the greatest combination of offence and defence. And the Klitschkos, Duran also up there

Comment

Young Tyson was just text book perfection, did everything right.

Comment

Yer along with prime Toney, Sweet Pea and dare i say Hopkins who was alot more offensive in his younger days.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            Prime Tyson
            Prime Roy
            Sweet pea
            Benitez
            Sugar Ray
            Gene Tunney
            good list, but I think RJJ was a master at keeping his range and had excellent timing so he could strike but I wouldnt neccessarily call it defense and even if you did, his D isnt up there with most of the others on that lists.

Comment

I have a hard time believing tyson comes close when his achievements are so clearly inferior to duran's. How many top inside fighters did tyson beat? holyfield showed him up in that sense. He took apart some bums and fighters who were uncoordinated against anyone even close to being inside. Duran could counter punch on the inside, against top inside fighters, and not get hit cleanly.

Tbh, the question is somewhat vague and needs defining. When floyd mayweather performs a pull counter does that count as great offence plus great defence? or are you only looking for high volume aggressive fighters who can fight on the front foot without taking clean hits?
              Last edited by eli porter; 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Duran's a great fighter but I think his defensive e prowess has become a little overrated in his prime he wasn't very hard to hit he just hit you back harder and more often.

Comment

I would say yes, he had the perfect balance.

Comment

Tyson followed a head movement pattern, it wasn't defence against individual punches in the traditional sense and it seemed to fade later into the fight.

As for the thread, yes probably.

Comment

Originally posted by eli porter View Post
                      I have a hard time believing tyson comes close when his achievements are so clearly inferior to duran's. How many top inside fighters did tyson beat? holyfield showed him up in that sense. He took apart some bums and fighters who were uncoordinated against anyone even close to being inside. Duran could counter punch on the inside, against top inside fighters, and not get hit cleanly.

Tbh, the question is somewhat vague and needs defining. When floyd mayweather performs a pull counter does that count as great offence plus great defence? or are you only looking for high volume aggressive fighters who can fight on the front foot without taking clean hits?
                      unfair assessment because Tyson didn't fight bums. He fought who he could at the time and his style was impetuous. his defense impregnable. he'd eat yo children, praise Allah

Comment

Working...
                      X