Here's what killed the Seanie Monaghan vs. Andre Ward fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's what killed the Seanie Monaghan vs. Andre Ward fight

by Steve Kim | Jul 01, 2016

Brand was just announced this past week by Roc Nation Sports as the dance partner for Ward and it turns out HBO much preferred Seanie Monaghan, given his style is…shall we say, much less awkward and ugly than Brand’s? But some clauses and stipulations that RNS insisted on be agreed upon by Top Rank effectively killed this deal.

Arum explained to UCNLive.com, “They wanted us to agree that if Monaghan flunked a drug test, that we would be responsible for all the expenses of the promotion. I mean, what are they crazy? He’s getting the money. What am I, an insurance company?

“Monaghan agreed that he’d be responsible but why should we? What am I going to be…like responsible for millions of dollars for no reason? I’m not making a nickel on the promotion.”

http://ucnlive.com/cue-the-timex-social-club/

Is this some more attack on PED users or something that seems to be getting more popular? I mean it is kinda bs that you can fail a PED test & you barely seem to get punished by a alphabet group or commission or anyone so whats the point exactly?

I mean I understand why you wouldn't wanna agree to something like that, but I can also understand why you might wanna include that if a guy does piss dirty to minimize your own losses.

Comment

Tough situation. I can see Roc Nation not wanting to end up in a Wilder/Povetkin situation where they lose a lot of money on someone else's fk-up and have to sue.
      On the other hand, I feel the same as Arum, that I'm not risking that much money on the chance my athlete dopes.

It would seem reasonable that the promoter of a fighter who fails a test should cover losses to the other side, but with so many guys doping these days, it might not be feasible. I can't really fault either, just the athletes that have put the sport in this situation.

Comment

with arum on this one. he can't control whether or not his guy is doping. why should he be responsible for it financially?

though old seanie would have been a much more interesting fight, to say the least

Comment

Working...
        X