Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

boxing = hand combat...why is back hand, slapping, hammer punches illegal?..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boxing = hand combat...why is back hand, slapping, hammer punches illegal?..

go to 5:54 and you will see hamed get warned for a back hander.

Boxing does not mean 'hand combat', boxing means boxing. And within the rules of boxing, there are set definitions of what constitutes a legal punch. A strike with an open glove, the back of the hand, or the side of the hand is not regarded as legal.

The key point is that boxing is a sport and not unrestricted 'hand combat' as you suggest. And in any sport, the rules are constructed in a manner that places emphasis on what people regard as the primary skills of the sport. Letting people do stuff that undermines the value of those skills in a contest only undermines the sport as a whole.

Comment

is there an official rule that states slapping, back hand or hammer punching is illegal? cause calzaghe slapped his entire career and it was never an issue with the refs.

Comment

I would venture a guess that the rules don't allow open glove punching due to the interior lacing and associated risk of severe (if not permanent) eye injury.

I would also venture a guess that the rules don't allow backhands because they look feminine and ******ed.

Comment

Boxing is about punching. It's a sport, not a street fight. Slapping, hammer-fisting isn't punching. There you have it.

Comment

Is this a serious question?

Comment

Even if you could hammer fisting is only effective if your mounting your opponent, backhanding is only effective if you spin. In boxing you must stay on your feet and you must face your opponent at all times.

Comment

How bout Pac's double hooked punch against Clottey? Is that only forbidden in Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                  I would venture a guess that the rules don't allow open glove punching due to the interior lacing and associated risk of severe (if not permanent) eye injury.

I would also venture a guess that the rules don't allow backhands because they look feminine and ******ed.
                  Open palm allows one to grab, to poke and backhands are very effective. If I miss with a right and then backhand you and follow with a left hook while my open right hand is covering your eyes and holding your head you would think it's pretty effective as well.

I just resaw the Lennox Lewis - Michael Grant fight. Take a look at the effect of a LL uppercut combined with him holding down Grant's head - that greatly increased the effect of the punch.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyboy867 View Post

go to 5:54 and you will see hamed get warned for a back hander.
                    Your right most people don't know shyt about boxing like 99% on this site

Comment

Working...
                    X