No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rorschach™ View Post

This movie is entertaining as hell. Great heist movie based on a true story. Highly recommended.
    Love this film, Lumet was such a genius: '12 Angry Men', 'Network', 'Dog Day Afternoon', 'Serpico', 'The Verdict', 'Prince of the City', etc. That is a filmography up there with the best of them.

Watched Fritz Lang's 'M', 'Metropolis' and 'The Testament of Dr. Mabuse' recently -- amazing. So ahead of their time, it doesn't feel anything like you're watching films from almost a century ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by JonoYoungP4P View Post
      repo men..................
      I found it to be pretty boring and dull ... 3/10 how about you?

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
      The Mechanic was good.
      reasonably entertaining, good action not that big of a Statham fan though so I'll give it a 5 outta 10

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
      no surprise there Mak, the funniest movie out right now is Bridesmaids.
      it was hysterically funny, I was a fan. Also mentioned Horrible Bosses, I found that one to be quite hilarious as well

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
      X Men 1st Class 8.5/10

Great story, it wasn't too gushy with love and fluffiness etc so I enjoyed it thoroughly. If you watched X-Men as a kid or remember reading the comics check this **** out. Magneto is the man, you could feel for the guy and understand why he became who he was.
      don't forget Kevin Bacon.

Originally posted by dj Benze View Post
      Final Destination 5....If you wanna laugh at stupid ass deaths go watch, for everything else...horrible.

Horrible actors.

One of the girls was sexy.

One of the guys looked like a cheap Kaka.

The other guy looked like the white rapper from Scary Movie 2.

The other guy was a cheap version of the bald racist guy from Harold and Kumar 2.

Personally, I love crap movies so I got my moneys worth.

Can't say the same for some of the other ppl that went with me to go watch it though.
      Final Destination 5 was pretty awful I agree. And don't forget the dude that looked like Tom Cruise

other bad movies I've seen this year include

Hangover 2
      Pirates 4

both sequels, but I felt effort wise both just fell flat and weren't very entertaining. Brief moments of humor/entertainment .. but didn't hold up well as an entire movie.

**Did anyone see Fast 5? 78% overall on Rotten Tomatoes, but for a 2 hr movie with Vin Diesel I just found it lacking. Reasonably good action but poorly acted with a weak story **though I felt The Rock had an interesting character.

near the end of the year, we should come back in and post our top 5 movies for 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rorschach™ View Post

Rec - 9.5/10

Rec 2 - 9/10

-Definitely better than Quarantine.

i saw rec for the first time recently

i try not to be snobby about them
        but i would call myself a snob about movies. it's a bad habbit i'm ok with having

rec is a terrific horror movie
        one of the best i've seen.

i'm not sure how my opinion of it would change if i spoke better spanish.

obviously dialogue can make or break a movie,

Comment

• I can be easy entertained at times so if I tell you to stay away from some movies it should mean something :-)

Clash of the Titans - staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay far away from this one - my friend told me before he started it that we ain't going to watch it because it is any good - fact of the matter it is so baaaaaaaaaaad you really have to see it... I'm somebody who doesn't fall asleep during movies but in this movie I did even though it is an action film... this movie is soooooooooo bad I don't even know where to start...

The Punisher - after the movie was over we were just looking at each other - did we just flushed down two hours of our lifes for this???

Inception is def. something to check out - very interesting idea and makes you def. think of some stuff...

The Road was very depressive - it leaves a taste in your mouth and you shouldn't watch it on a bad day

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
            Red State.

Excellent.
            Whoa.

One of the worst movies I've ever watched and I consider myself to have better taste than most in movies.

Comment

• Forbidden Planet (1956)
              this genre staple which ostensibly epitomises the cheesy pulp of '50s sci-fi is actually steeped in allegory and commentary on the human condition, as all good science fiction should be. A true classic. 9/10

Hanna (2011)
              Joe Wright took a script that could have turned out a trite Léon homage and, with a strange admixture of harsh Jason Bourne-meets-Hit Girl action, slapstick comic relief, an almost dream-like surrealism and art house sensibilities, made it into one of the best films released this year. 7.5/10

I Saw The Devil (2011)
              typical blood saturated Korean revenge fantasy here: you got your ridiculously over-elaborate plot for vengeance; your cold, sociopathic protagonist; your wild, psychopathic antagonist; and your horrible violence complimented with fountains of gore. 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
                Whoa.

One of the worst movies I've ever watched and I consider myself to have better taste than most in movies.

Really?
                What was so bad about it? Thought it was great satire. Waco, the religious extremism. And Micheal Parks long sermon was him at his best. It looked great and went a bit surreal towards the end. It was good provocative film making imo.

Originally posted by S.G. View Post

Hanna (2011)
                Joe Wright took a script that could have turned out a trite Léon homage and, with a strange admixture of harsh Jason Bourne-meets-Hit Girl action, slapstick comic relief, an almost dream-like surrealism and art house sensibilities, made it into one of the best films released this year. 7.5/10

I Saw The Devil (2011)
                typical blood saturated Korean revenge fantasy here: you got your ridiculously over-elaborate plot for vengeance; your cold, sociopathic protagonist; your wild, psychopathic antagonist; and your horrible violence complimented with fountains of gore. 7/10
                Hanna started out well, but gets steadily worse until it flatlines by the end. Tries to be a super slick thriller, but the more u discover, the less original it gets.

I Saw The Devil was just unpleasant. Starts out nasty, and doesnt really go anywhere. Becomes a Se7en rip-off, and overly violent plus silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                  Hanna started out well, but gets steadily worse until it flatlines by the end. Tries to be a super slick thriller, but the more u discover, the less original it gets.

I Saw The Devil was just unpleasant. Starts out nasty, and doesnt really go anywhere. Becomes a Se7en rip-off, and overly violent plus silly.
                  Hanna caught me from the left field. Immediately I guessed it was gonna be some stark action thriller that takes itself way too seriously, but the camera work in that sequence where she escapes the government facility with The Chemical Brothers' soundtrack over the top hooked me right in. As I said though, the script wasn't particularly impressive (although I liked the atypical slow pacing and how it was more of a character study than an action vehicle), but the direction from Wright and all his underlings and the performances from the leads really carried the day.

I can't really argue that I Saw The Devil wasn't overly violent nor silly, but it kept me entertained throughout. I do wonder about South Korea sometimes though lol, that incessant stream of adolescent, ultra-violent revenge fantasies could only be produced and supported by a really demented populace.

Have you seen the film Madeo (Mother in English)? That's the Korean film that most impressed me in recent years -- probably the best I've seen since Memories Of Murder, actually. It's a bit subtler and more interesting than I Saw The Devil and its kin, and a great example of that really beautiful and delicate aesthetic that seems to flavour Oriental cinema; I'd recommend checking it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by S.G. View Post
                    Hanna caught me from the left field. Immediately I guessed it was gonna be some stark action thriller that takes itself way too seriously, but the camera work in that sequence where she escapes the government facility with The Chemical Brothers' soundtrack over the top hooked me right in. As I said though, the script wasn't particularly impressive (although I liked the atypical slow pacing and how it was more of a character study than an action vehicle), but the direction from Wright and all his underlings and the performances from the leads really carried the day.

I can't really argue that I Saw The Devil wasn't overly violent nor silly, but it kept me entertained throughout. I do wonder about South Korea sometimes though lol, that incessant stream of adolescent, ultra-violent revenge fantasies could only be produced and supported by a really demented populace.

Have you seen the film Madeo (Mother in English)? That's the Korean film that most impressed me in recent years -- probably the best I've seen since Memories Of Murder, actually. It's a bit subtler and more interesting than I Saw The Devil and its kin, and a great example of that really beautiful and delicate aesthetic that seems to flavour Oriental cinema; I'd recommend checking it out.

The dance track in Hanna i thought was just another way of trying to make a mediocre film into a slick 'Euro-esque' thriller.

I havent seen Madeo. Never heard of it. Nor Memories of Murder. Il check them out.
                    But i really liked A Tale of Two Sisters, but the same guy that made I saw the devil.
                    Also 'We Are What We Are' was very good imo. Brazilian i think. Thats the kind of horror film i like. Slow, not OTT, and kinda uncomfortable.

Comment

• Originally posted by S.G. View Post
                      Forbidden Planet (1956)
                      this genre staple which ostensibly epitomises the cheesy pulp of '50s sci-fi is actually steeped in allegory and commentary on the human condition, as all good science fiction should be. A true classic. 9/10
                      That is a classic, it was cheesy however it was way ahead of it's time. Suprised they have not done a remake yet like they have done with everything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X